Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people at virtually no risk of death or serious long term effects are buying everything that people who are at the greatest risks need. People are buying baby wipes that don't even have kids, I'm sorry the proper term would be hoarding. I went grocery shopping yesterday and I about got into a fist fight with a guy because he was mad and started taunting me when I bought about 5 cans of them canned raviolis my son likes. (my kids are on a extended spring break, he is 8, this), his punk self was had two carts full of toilet paper, canned goods, and disinfectant. He has the audacity to say something to me when I'm buying regular groceries. People are freaking out so bad and the virus has a 97% recovery rate. People have lost their minds completely over this crap. Main stream media is not helping one bit and in fact, they are making it worse.

480,000 people die from smoking every year
2.8 million die a year from obesity
2.39 almost 2.4 million people a year are injured in a car accident with permanent injury.
more than 30,000 people die in an accident every year in the US alone.
225,000 people die in the US every year from Medical Malpractice

Media will not give you these numbers because they know it will hurt the ratings, no one will care about the corona virus if they put these facts out there along side with the virus. You are more likely to die from smoking, being fat, driving, or going to the doctor than you are to die from this virus. You are more likely to be permanently injured in a car wreck than you are to be crippled from this virus.

You are more likely to die, driving to the doctors office, to get tested for this virus than you are to die from the corona virus. Think about that for a second.

Now, I want to take a second and say this, for all the elderly people, immune compromised people, sick people. I feel for you, I really hope that you can get the supplies you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are about two generations out there now that have been raised without knowing what it feels like to get backhanded across the lips.
The concept of "making nice" ain't in their playbook because they have never felt the sting of consequences or fat lips.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 30 years old, I was taught really quick how your mouth can get you in trouble. My dad was a Marine, grand pa was in Vietnam, every male in my family has been to the military and served in combat. Myself included. My mother came from the Philippines, her family was military as well. Sometimes when I see how people my age act I wonder if I am normal, I realize when when I interact with people my age and younger I feel disrespected really quick. My wife says I have the mentality of an old man. I always thought I was just respectful.. .
There are about two generations out there now that have been raised without knowing what it feels like to get backhanded across the lips.
The concept of "making nice" ain't in their playbook because they have never felt the sting of consequences or fat lips.

·
Registered
18,480 Posts
I abide by "the rule of the three nots"...not a window I won't go through, not a counter I won't go over and not a person I won't beat on. People will pull anything they think they can get away with, right up until they discover they can't. Disrespect is a disease, it's our civic duty to vaccinate 'em.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I went grocery shopping yesterday and I about got into a fist fight with a guy because he was mad and started taunting me when I bought about 5 cans of them canned raviolis my son likes. (my kids are on a extended spring break, he is 8, this), his punk self was had two carts full of toilet paper, canned goods, and disinfectant. He has the audacity to say something to me when I'm buying regular groceries. People are freaking out so bad and the virus has a 97% recovery rate.

Stay clear of confrontations like this.
Don't let yourself be drawn into the pathos of other people's hysteria.

Until recently, supermarkets around here were open to midnight or beyond. Now, one of the major markets closes at 8 pm, and I think they tend to be busy until then. Probably the second largest local chain stays open until 10 pm, however, and the last time I went there was at about 9:30 pm. There were very few customers in the store which suits me fine. DON'T go to a store right after work during rush hour. Some of them are packed with customers after work. Less customers means less germs floating around in the air, and LESS PANIC.

One of the local chains opens the doors from 6AM to 7AM for highest risk groups - i.e. medically involved or over age 60, so that may be an option in some communities for folks who fit into those categories. Another option could be ordering food online...I don't mean Subway or Papa Johns, but unprepared food from places like Amazon. It might take a week or more to get it, but you can order pasta, rice or dry beans or whatever. Stay safe.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tend to go to the stores late between 9-1030 I don't like being around a lot of people. However, everything is starting to close down early. I know several people around here who have been assaulted and their groceries stolen. One of my buddies told me that the PD isn't arresting Misdemeanor crimes for the time being. The only way your going to jail is for felonies or DWI/DUI.

Stay clear of confrontations like this.
Don't let yourself be drawn into the pathos of other people's hysteria.

Until recently, supermarkets around here were open to midnight or beyond. Now, one of the major markets closes at 8 pm, and I think they tend to be busy until then. Probably the second largest local chain stays open until 10 pm, however, and the last time I went there was at about 9:30 pm. There were very few customers in the store which suits me fine. DON'T go to a store right after work during rush hour. Some of them are packed with customers after work. Less customers means less germs floating around in the air, and LESS PANIC.

One of the local chains opens the doors from 6AM to 7AM for highest risk groups - i.e. medically involved or over age 60, so that may be an option in some communities for folks who fit into those categories. Another option could be ordering food online...I don't mean Subway or Papa Johns, but unprepared food from places like Amazon. It might take a week or more to get it, but you can order pasta, rice or dry beans or whatever. Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
In my younger days I could put a stop to a loud month jerk as I could back my play.
Today I can only back my play by pulling my smoke wagon and going to work. To high a cost for one idiot but some things will be paid for as the bill must be paid.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Violence isn't the answer - until it is. If someone is acting like a jerk, just keep away - there's no reason to engage stupid people doing stupid things. If they present an imminent deadly threat, that's different.

When I was a very young boy (<6?) in Brooklyn I learned real fast you can't disrespect people and not expect consequences. It only took once for me to learn that lesson, and I got a free bonus lesson that no one will help you when you are wrong, at the same time.

I know what it is like to live in a densely populated area while people are scared of things they can't control. I lived in SW Florida for several years and the hurricanes do bring out the best and worst of people. Those situations have a finite start and end, everyone pretty much knows what to do, and the state has great systems in place to deal with it.

I'm thankful we now live in rural Texas pretty well isolated from other people. Still have to go out and shop occasionally during this, but at least most people around here are courteous - and few.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Who gets to 'play God' and make the decisions about whose life is 'more valuable' than others? That's what it's coming down to. Is the U.K. nurse on FB correct in saying that health care providers should get priority at the grocery stores? Should others starve so they can live? What is YOUR life worth and how far will YOU go to save it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That question has many parts to it. It depends on the situation, and how long. It has not come to the point of actual survival. Basic everyday services are still active at this time. The current situation is not dire. No matter how many people believe it is. So to answer your question. Right now, priority at the grocery stores no. Now, if it ever gets down to it. People with Survival skills, (real survival skills) are going to be just fine. Your life worth is going to be based on what knowledge USEFUL knowledge and skills you can provide. Who decides that will be who ever is leading the group. I tell you what though. The people who our country "thought" where important are not going to be nearly as important as those who have skill sets that will make them an invaluable resource.
Who gets to 'play God' and make the decisions about whose life is 'more valuable' than others? That's what it's coming down to. Is the U.K. nurse on FB correct in saying that health care providers should get priority at the grocery stores? Should others starve so they can live? What is YOUR life worth and how far will YOU go to save it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That question has many parts to it. It depends on the situation, and how long. It has not come to the point of actual survival. Basic everyday services are still active at this time. The current situation is not dire. No matter how many people believe it is.
The people of Italy probably think otherwise.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
It's called "triage" and it's been in practice as long as there has been war and conflict. Nobody likes it, especially those who get put aside and their families.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triage

Reactions: Brian845

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I sincerely believe in karma.

Think a lot of these opportunists (hoarders) at some time will find themselves in dire need of something they can't get because
someone else cleaned it out. Hopefully, it'll be painful for them be it emotional or physical.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts