Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out today that a co worker in My department at work has the Corona Virus, another co worker overheard a couple of Managers discussing it and they referred to Him by name, first thought was OMG He works with Us, He is currently in quarantine along with His Wife who is also infected.
When Our Managers were questioned they denied that anyone in the company had tested positive and claimed that if they had they were required by law to tell Us, We knew that wasn't true because one of the company's standard operating procedures is to lie in any situation to avoid liability.
If they saw anyone standing to the side talking they would immediately intervene and separate Us saying "Shouldn't You be doing XYZ over there?" or just stand by and eavesdrop until We walked away.
About a week ago they informed Us at our startup meeting that We were required to wear a face mask covering Our nose and mouth any time We were speaking to someone which leads Me to believe they have known there had been an infected Person in the facility for at least a week.
They made a thinly veiled threat to the infected Person's Father who also works for the company that He is not to say anything to anyone.
I called My Sisters after work today and told them to avoid contact with Me until I was sure I wasn't infected, should be about another week.
I don't have any symptoms and I feel fine, if anything changes I will go and be tested immediately.
The company I work for is often referred to as the evil empire so it should be pretty easy to figure out which one it is.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I hope your colleague is going to be okay. I also hope you weren't infected. It's nothing to play around with.

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
If they're trying to limit liability then they went about it the absolute wrong way. The fact you overheard the commentary of Covid 19 infection as well as personal identifiers of who was infected, they violated HIPAA laws. Might want to pull them off to the side and tell them a HIPAA violation is $100,000 PER OFFENSE. There's all sorts of info and even handbooks on how to inform and implement Covid-19 protective protocols that doesn't violate federal guidelines.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I just found out today that a co worker in My department at work has the Corona Virus, another co worker overheard a couple of Managers discussing it and they referred to Him by name, first thought was OMG He works with Us, He is currently in quarantine along with His Wife who is also infected.
When Our Managers were questioned they denied that anyone in the company had tested positive and claimed that if they had they were required by law to tell Us, We knew that wasn't true because one of the company's standard operating procedures is to lie in any situation to avoid liability.
If they saw anyone standing to the side talking they would immediately intervene and separate Us saying "Shouldn't You be doing XYZ over there?" or just stand by and eavesdrop until We walked away.
About a week ago they informed Us at our startup meeting that We were required to wear a face mask covering Our nose and mouth any time We were speaking to someone which leads Me to believe they have known there had been an infected Person in the facility for at least a week.
They made a thinly veiled threat to the infected Person's Father who also works for the company that He is not to say anything to anyone.
I called My Sisters after work today and told them to avoid contact with Me until I was sure I wasn't infected, should be about another week.
I don't have any symptoms and I feel fine, if anything changes I will go and be tested immediately.
The company I work for is often referred to as the evil empire so it should be pretty easy to figure out which one it is.
If your company has an employer sponsored health plan, company officials have a legal duty to protect your private health information. If I were the sick employee and they were telling others about my private health information, they would be signing over checks to me for violating federal law. They don't have a duty to tell you "Bob is sick" they have a duty to protect Bob's health records. If there really is someone with the Rona, the county health department should be investigating--if they even care.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
At this juncture it's best to play dumb. Self-isolation is a smart move if it's just yourself; if you have a wife and kids, you should stay away from them unless you found out after you had already potentially infected them. I'm keeping you and yours specifically in my nightly entreaties, hope it comes out in your favor.

·
Super Moderator
19,626 Posts
You work for CNN?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well today they came clean, as We were leaving the break room after first break this morning they gathered Us in small groups and informed Us that a co worker had tested positive for corona virus 9 days ago, without using names even though We all know who it is they said that the infected Person has not been on the premises since testing positive.
They still would have been in the building while infectious but before developing symptoms, I figure with the incubation period of COVID19 I still have another week to isolate Myself from Family I will make it two weeks just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Hope it all works out for you, your family, and co-workers.

AND.........I'll be more than glad when all this is over.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
We had a guy at Saturn with full blown AIDS. He was a great guy and was well liked. He kept missing work for what some said was pneumonia.

He worked in my team on another shift. At the end he came back to work one 8 hour day so he would get his 80% pay back,if your off more than 90 days your pay drips to 60%.

I was working overtime with him and he came in with huge sores on his arms and neck. People on his own crew were complaining as he was coughing really bad.

The company would never admit what he had even though every one that knew him knew full well what he had.

After coming back for that one day he passed away a week latter.

At know time did the company ever would discuss his condition.
At the risk of everyone that worked with him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
3 people I work with have contracted Covid-19. We found out about it because they volunteered to inform coworkers. Since I work in the healthcare industry and just had my yearly PHI, HIPAA courses on Monday, everything is still VERY fresh as to what is and is not permissible to disclose. Release of medical information by a company that contains ANY personal identifiers is illegal as hell. You can say "a person we all work with has tested positive for Corona Virus..." but the minute you identify that person whether by name or "X machine operator on the second shift", Expect to pay a substantial fine if you get called on it. If the person or persons volunteer the information to make co-workers aware, then disclosure is fine.

·
Super Moderator
19,626 Posts
We had a guy at Saturn with full blown AIDS. He was a great guy and was well liked. He kept missing work for what some said was pneumonia.

He worked in my team on another shift. At the end he came back to work one 8 hour day so he would get his 80% pay back,if your off more than 90 days your pay drips to 60%.

I was working overtime with him and he came in with huge sores on his arms and neck. People on his own crew were complaining as he was coughing really bad.

The company would never admit what he had even though every one that knew him knew full well what he had.

After coming back for that one day he passed away a week latter.

At know time did the company ever would discuss his condition.
At the risk of everyone that worked with him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
AIDS/HIV was not handled as an infectious disease when it first hit; it was instead designated a political threat. A lot of very famous people had it and privacy was everything. I was in my third year of residency working "tumor clinic" and had this 30 yo guy come in monthly for his blood counts and meds (he had a low grade non transmittable myeloma but he did have HIV as well). He spent the first 10 minutes of every visit bragging of his sexual exploits of picking up women at night clubs despite us continuing to tell him he had a deadly transmittable disease. It irritated me to no end because it was against the law for us to disclose the names of HIV patients even though today it is considered a battery offense. We could have prevented a lot of spread in the early days if the politicians had let the medical establishment deal with the process without sticking their noses in it. In fact, the institution of medicine I fell in love with as a youngster and adolescent has been tainted by politics so it is not near as enjoyable of a profession as it once was. I still miss it dearly but would never entertain the possibility of reentering what is now a broken and bastardized system. I'm happy keeping my license and board certification up to date from the retirement sidelines.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts