Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey new to the site and looking to get a question answered. Searched around and didnt find much on it. I have owned my blue 651 revolver for going on a year and have been flip flopping which ammo to use. I recently decided to try some 38+p rather than 357 for the decrease in recoil. However the bullets are 110 grain and i have either heard or read something before about using ammo under 125 grain and that it may be bad but i cant remember what it was. Is it unwise to use 110 grain loads in my 651 protector?
Ryan

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I have similar gun (M650) and I use Win. 110gr JHP's for carry ammo. I plan on getting a variety of medium velocity 357 magnum loads to see which it like best but the 110gr's are available locally and will work.

The DPX line tends to have less recoil as its loaded to deliver a given velocity at which the bullet is designed for optimum expansion/pentration. They aren't cheap but they're on the list of loads I want t try. I recall (but am not sure) that the DPX loads are find as they have a longer bullet (all copper, no lead) so they don't have the same issues as lead based bullets in the super-light guns.

Steelheart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help guys i am now confident in my purchase. I have a hornady 357 mag load in the first chamber followed by 4 dpx 38+p for effective easier follow up shots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts