Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a box of Cor-Bon's 110 gr. JHP (not the DPX) .38 Specials. The manufacturer claims a velocity of 1050 fps., and 269 ft-lbs. of energy. I believe these numbers almost certainly derived from a 4" test barrel. Does anybody know what this round performs like out of a 2" pipe? Or a 3" barrel?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If you check CorBon's site they list the barrel length tested from (extreme right hand column). They list a 2" barrel and from what I know of CB its a real gun not a test barrel. All of their stuff is tested out of real guns and they tend to list their velocities low so if you have access to a chronograph don't be surprised if its faster than the 1050fps.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm Yes, this is Corbon's site

Keep an eye on the point of aim vs the point of impact as many 38 snubby's have the sights regulated for 158gr loads. Now I'm not saying that they won't shoot other stuff well, just that many of them are dead on with 158's.

Steelheart

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had bad luck with them out of my 605. Lot's of tumblers and flyers for some reason. My gun didn't like them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. You know, Steelheart, I only looked at Cor-Bon's web site half a dozen times or so, so it's understandable that I missed that. Right? :rolleyes: :-[

Thanks for the heads-up, Jkwas. It will probably be a while before I get to the range with them. The local gun shop had them for $16 a box of 20, so I picked one up.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I've read good things about the Remington Golden Saber +P and the Gold Dot 38 special as well.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read good things about the Remington Golden Saber +P and the Gold Dot 38 special as well.....
As do I. I haven't tried the Golden Sabers yet, but I carry the 135gr. Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel load in my Model 85.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Dave85 said:
As do I. I haven't tried the Golden Sabers yet, but I carry the 135gr. Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel load in my Model 85.
My .38 snubs are all loaded with 158 grain LSWCHP as of now. A classic with a proven track record in real world shootings.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
that is the classic "FBI Load" - it is also +P if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
NYPD said:
My .38 snubs are all loaded with 158 grain LSWCHP as of now. A classic with a proven track record in real world shootings.
Same here and yes it is a +P load. I also like the fact that its POA/POI with my M85.

Corbon's Sales Manager, Mike Shovel, used to post on some forums so I had a bit of an advantage there. Plus I do like CB's stuff. Their 9mm 115gr +P is my standard carry load.

Steelheart

·
Registered
89 Posts
I carry the DPX and Golden Sabre in my M85. I haven't shot anyone with them, so I don't know how they perform. But they appear to be very accurate for me (with the DPX being slightly more accurate than the Golden Sabre). A Philly PD officer recommended the Golden Sabre to me, I think it's what the department uses, so I started to carry them too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use Corbon 38SPL+P 125Grain HP. I'm guessing it wiil penetrate good and expand out of a 2", from what I can finde. Anybody have an opinion? This is not the DPX load.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I think it should expand reliably, most hot 110 grain 38 loads do - I think what Steel was saying is important though, the lighter 38 special bullets tend to not be very accurate in snubby revolvers. You should run quite a few of them through your gun to see what the lighter bullet is tending to do, so that you'll know before an encounter how you might have to compensate for it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I bought my wife a Taurus 85UL i have 110gr Federals seems to be easy for her to manage.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I get very good groups with the Corbon 125g 38SPL JHP. It's rated at 950FPS from a 2". It shoots POA from my 642 and my MDL. 37.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts