Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And also accused of not rendering aid after the dog mauling is over. In addition they delayed calling for a medic because they allegedly didn't know exactly where they were and wanted to wait until they had their exact location before calling for one. :(

When I was a rookie on day one my training officer expected me to know whenever he asked me what road I was on, what direction of travel, and what the nearest cross street was, period, no excuses. And we didn't have GPS either. Granted that's not like saying "Go 450 feet down an alley 200 feet past Elm street (for example) but still good enough for another unit to be on the way.

These are just allegations, don't know how much of it is true. I mainly posted this because it relates to concealed carry in a way. In the original story about the guy being mauled is he wasn't carrying anything to defend himself with. He probably wasn't expecting it, but that's why it's important to carry something, for the unexpected. Even something small and light would've been better than nothing. It's too bad the story wasn't "Man shoots dog" instead of him getting killed. :( The police did eventually shoot the dog but it was too late by that point.

Here's just a couple of small segments of the story. :( (underling added by me)

After watching a cruiser camera video of the incident, Dayton police Sgt. Michael Pauley, the responding officers’ supervisor, said he was “horrified.”

“I didn’t go to sleep the next day after watching it,” said Pauley during an interview with internal affairs detectives. “I couldn’t believe what I had watched.”

Pauley said he worried about the potential harm the police cruiser video from the incident would do to the department because he felt there was no way to explain why the officers did not try to help Brown for nine minutes.
and

Hartings later told internal affairs detectives he did not attempt to render aid because he was running around trying to figure out their location to know where to send medics.

‘Get help moving’
Biehl said Hartings should have called for a medic with a general location and updated with an address.
“Get help moving,” Biehl said Thursday, reiterating that protecting innocent persons is the top priority and that the dog could’ve been shot immediately if it was a threat. “In fact, it took three minutes for the medic to be called, and those minutes are important.”
“Mr. Brown needed advanced life support,” Biehl said. “Clearly, (Hartings) was trying to do something to help. It’s the prioritization of that which is problematic. … That should not have been a challenge to figure out.”

https://www.whio.com/news/national/...ed-dog/JzaPyw22kAAut0eBD8EEbP/?icmp=cb_widget

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Reminds me of the old Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom. “Marlin Perkins here . . . Tim will now neuter the 3000 lb water buffalo while we watch from the safety of the blind”.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Wow, don't say much for that police department. Makes me wonder what those cops would have done if it was some wild animal attack, and not someone's stupid dog? Damn. Well, I guess that's another reason why I carry. If I would have been the one being attacked, you can damn well bet I would have been doing just about everything I could have to put that dog to slide lock.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i don't know about Dayton at 5am. But it's not like parkland FL during school hours. I know some parts of New Orleans, Mobile and Pensacola that cops won't get out of the car at 5am and a mean old bull dog wouldn't make it to sun up walking the streets.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I know this doesn't help, but the SCOTUS ruled a number of years ago, the police have no obligation to protect an individual from harm and are there to protect and enforce the law as a whole.

Parkland is a prime example of this. Based on that ruling you cannot hold the police liable.

On the other side of this, there are people deathly afraid of dogs. They have such an irrational fear, they even forget about having a gun. Many years ago a friend was treed by a bunch of **** dogs while squirrel hunting. Four to be exact. When I came on the scene, like a good friend I stood there and laughed. He had a perfectly working 20ga Mossberg 500 he left on the ground. What made it so funny was the dogs were in play mode and wanted to play. I just chased them home so he could get out of the tree. People afraid of dogs can't tell the difference.

dm

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
"To serve and protect." But not you.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The court of public option can not be under estimated. As we are the government, the courts and make the laws. When the government, courts or laws hold pubic option in contempt we have tea parties and stir the tea pot.

·
Registered
19,780 Posts
Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
That is really sickening. While the police don't have a specific duty to protect an individual, if they come upon a crime in progress, they must act and intervene. When the full story is finally known, it will be interesting to see what the officers were actually doing. I suspect their careers in law enforcement are at an end, though.

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
Ya' know...:dry:...it'd be easier to read if you'd stop usin' white out insted of ink.
It was either that or get two pictures again.
I tried.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not rendering medical aid as soon as possible is a complete failure in their duty, although the article does say that in the review of their conduct, it was considered unlikely that the victim, Brown, would have survived anyway.

But there are a couple of things in the article that are a little less damning:

- the officers didn't just sit and watch the guy being mauled by the dog, as some seem to suggest. When they arrived they used the car to drive the dog away and were out of the car within about two minutes. Since there is dash cam video, the timeline is not just based on their statements.

- after arriving on the scene where a dog has just chewed someone into a bloody pulp, with the dog still nearby and hearing other dogs in the neighborhood barking, I can understand their concern for sizing up the situation before getting to Brown. Not excusing their delay -- apparently much of that delay came from losing their awareness of where they were. But still, I think even someone accustomed to dogs would have been just about as cautious in the same situation, even being armed. After all, it was dark, the neighborhood appears to have plenty of cover up close to the victim's location.

- while the LEOs and medical personnel were on scene the dog apparently remained in its own yard, even though it was killed about a half an hour after Brown was transported. It makes me wonder why the dog attacked in the first place. Was the attack a consequence of Brown being someplace he shouldn't have been, doing something he shouldn't have been doing?

Again, there ARE aspects to their conduct that seem inexcusable -- not knowing where they were, not getting medical attention to Brown sooner, etc. But it's not as if they sat in their patrol car and finished their coffee while the dog chomped the guy apart.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
gosh I hate to break to you people but failing to provide medical aid has its boundaries!
you are only legally reuired to provide medical aid IF the enviroment is safe to do so.
in other words if its an active shooter situation, a haz mat incident and inside the hot zone, an explosive possibility, collapse possibility etc.
that being said in MOST Police and Fire, EMS personnel they will take a certain amount of chance to save a life and endanger their life but there is a line where the commanding officer should /will say-- Nope the possible save is NOT worth the possible loss of life.
the September 1 incident should make us aware of this and its tragic loss of life.

Reactions: 230JHP
1 - 14 of 14 Posts