Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday at the Gun Slinger Gun Show in Fort Wayne, IN I saw a brand of ammo of which I have not heard or seen previously. It was Copper Only Projectile or C.O.P. The 9mm JHP was selling for $18/25rounds. Sign says this is comparable to Corbon self-defense ammo. It was available in all the common handgun calibers and in large supplies of all. I did not bite because I was not familiar with it, and because I noticed no one else was buying either.

Also, another elder statesman selling leather and handguns explained to me that "copper only" projectiles will penetrate far deeper than lead before it expands. Thus, he said, if you miss your target the round will pass through up to two walls before stopping. If you use it, he cautioned, be aware of the over penetration issue.

Can the TA experts enlighten this rookie on this matter? Is this a reliable brand? Is there an excessive over penetration problem with copper only projectiles? If this is generally reliable and effective, I will go back to get some for testing in my Tauri.

Serious question folks, and in need of a serious response. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I can't tell you anything about how all copper bullets work but California is trying to outlaw lead in bullets so there may be more companies making them in the near future. You can bet they will be more expensive.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I would not worry about over-penetration of pure copper vs jacketed lead hp. If over penetration is a concern where you intend to use your gun, copper will NOT make the situation worse. A fmj will penetrate more, as will a jhp that does not open.

Of what I have seen on solid copper hp vs copper jacketed lead hp- the solid copper did seem to open better and penetrate about the same.

Here is a link to some tests done by some of the Bersa guys- the C.O.P. test is near the top, and you can scroll down for other loads-

9MM Ammo Tests

·
Registered
37,347 Posts
God Bless the uninformed!!-Griiin!
copper is basically the new magic bullet!
well not really as there is no magic bullet!
but it is a good projectile!
Hate to tell the guy at the gun show but if you miss the bad guy then virtually any projectile is easily going to penetrate several sheet rock walls!
now FMJ/ hard cast lead is the worse as to penetration for sure!
Copper projectiles are modern design and control both penetration and expansion by mostly the alloy they are made from, also they have a pretty decent hollow point cavity.
Generally they begin working in the 700-750 FPS range and increase in expansion as FPS goes up.
I am famliar with them from reloading the COP projectile and its actually what i use as a carry round in my 380 pistols, the COP 80 grain , its reliable, its accurate and it test well in unscientific milk jug test, including through a couple layers of denim.
haven't shot the factory loaded ammo but it uses premium components and the same projectiles that i load so I would assume the same results.
its not like the Corbon I don't think by the way cause its not loaded near that hot, it is very much like Barnes all copper rounds however, also in 9MM Fiocchi offers a 92 grain all copper round that is my carry round in all of my 9MM.s.--it runs about 25-26 bucks for a box of 50.
I wouldn't hesitate buying and using them(COP) if the passed the function test in the particular weapon that you have.
actually i was going to test the cop projectiels in 40 cal and 45 till this crazy buying hit and can't really find any right now.
hope this helps you some.

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
37,347 Posts
I can't tell you anything about how all copper bullets work but California is trying to outlaw lead in bullets so there may be more companies making them in the near future. You can bet they will be more expensive.

Not sure how the cost will work for ammunition?? but as for projectiles themselves cost seems to be about twice what a modern self defense projectile cost!
in other words you will get 50 projectiles of solid copper for the price of 100 jacketed projectiles-- well unless they are Barnes projectiles then its about 4-5 times as much.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'm with Olfarhors on this one. I especially like the Magtec 95 gr All Copper in .38 snubbies. The copper bullets run light, keeping velocity up in short barrels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We use C.O.P. bullets here at the ranch for deer hunting. And the expansion is very good at 1150 fps out of 8&9" barrles with a 200gr.44 cal. They can be pushed if they are loaded hot, without fouling the barrel. We have them loaded for a 6.5" S&W a 8"DW & a 9" Ruger.
and they performed great.

Planning to workup some loads for simi auto S&W 3rd gen carry guns. I like their performace.

SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS.
MR835 IS GONE

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I posted about the same brand a little over a month ago. I picked up 3 boxes of 115+P. From everything I've heard, and read about them they are very good. Here is a quick video with a watermelon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts