Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my Taurus PT1911, but I want another .45. I have been looking at the 24/7, a used Glock, or a reasonable XD.

I really like all three so I can not make up my mind.

I really want something that is dependable and accurate. The dependability is what worries me about the 24/7. I intend to really, and I mean really, torture this thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my 24/7 .45 in April of this year. 2500+ rounds through it with no major problems (a few Feeding issues with Blazer ammo). Just make sure to break it down and CLEAN it good before shooting, Taurus packs in a lot of lube from the factory. After cleaning, DON'T OIL the firing pin channel, instead, use a dry silicone lube there (thats what I have done from day one on both my Taurus .45's and never a FTF or light strike after 4000+ rounds). I loved my 24/7 so much I went a bought the PT145 for my CCW, I trust it with my life (I've put 1500+ rounds through it, never a hitch).

Hope that will help some in your future pistol purchase.

P.S.

I also use BOTH my Taurus .45's for IDPA shooting. I'm one of the few shooting .45's, and the only one using a compact .45.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've had three 24/7s - the latest the compact version - wonderful pistols. Get a 24/7. Do as Gholcomb suggests and you won't look back.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A Glock or XD is just as dependably and reliable as a Taurus. As much as I want to see you buy a Taurus, I would rather see you buy something that you feel comfortable protecting yourself and loved ones with. If you truly have doubts about the 24/7's reliability, just buy something else...

But if your just wanting our opinions, then by all means buy the Taurus 24/7 because I personally like it better and feel it is as good or better then the Glock or XD. I like mine and am constantly buying more Taurus.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest selling point for the Taurus is the selling price. The pistol I pick will be an all purpose gun. It will used for range shooting and general home defense.

I intended to buy a 24/7 several months ago but I ended up buying an M&P 9.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I agree with Draeger....buy what YOU feel most comfortable and secure with. I own all three of the pistols you mentioned and have not had a single problem with any of them. Basically, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'll back up and agree with the other fellows here - go with what makes you comfortable - as NYPD in AZ says, you won't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to search the pawn shops around my house for a used Glock, but I will probably get the Taurus.

The way I look at it, the Taurus is priced well, and if I do not like it I am not out much. If I did not like it I could just pass it on to someone else in the family who wants a gun.

Plus, I could just buy a lot more ammo with the money saved.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
9700 rounds in less then a year through one on my 24/7 Pro 45's. Not one single problem. I do a quick field strip and clean once every 400-600 rounds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went today and looked around. Found a used Glock 21, but it was way over priced. The thing was dirty and well used and the shop wanted $20 less for it than they were asking for a new one.

I found a 24/7 for $388 and a new Glock for $547. Wondering if either of these are good deals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not have a good dealer around me that I have found. One I consulted a few years ago said that he would only order for me if I was willing to pay what he would charge if I purchased from him straight up.

Academy is where I normally buy my guns. they tend to have better prices than most places.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I handled all three today and I am going to go with the Taurus. It fit my hand better than the XD and the Glock just felt like an unwieldy piece of metal.

Going to wait for a gunshow because I can get a better deal at one of those than any I have seen so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.