Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Covert Beretta mags to tarus?

• Yes i have, it worked flawlessly!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i have, but it did'nt work or i ruined it.

• No i have'nt

• Not worth the trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i've gathered.. and looking at them side by side, the biggest and seemly only difference between beretta 92 and taurus 92/99 mags seems to be the size of the mag catch notch..

i was wondering if anyone has converted one before.. i stuck a beretta mag in with the mag release pressed in.. holding the mag in at the bottom it seemed to lock on a empty mag..

i've got some extra beretta mags laying around and need more mags for my taurus, seems cheapest i can find taurus factory mags is about 22bucks.. so i figure kill 2 birds with one stone.. save money and convert a few.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't have the 92 but the mags work with the MilPro I have. Just had to add a notch in the right place. Check over in the smithing section. Several people are finding the 92 mags work in other guns. From what I remember the Taurus 92 is almost the same as the Beretta. The Taurus factory was built to make the Beretta for Brazil.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i found nothing in smithing are a search brought up very little..

i think filling or cutting the notch a bit more will do the trick but if someone has already done it would be nice to get a few pointers.. maybe someones already done the grunt work..

beretta mags seem a lot cheaper then the taurus so if they can be reliably converted would save some money, i've got a few to many beretta mags atm anyway.

oh and yes the early model taurus was the same as the berettas.. after finishing a contract with the Brazilian government they sold the machines and factory to taurus which started producing 92's, they paid no licensing cost, although i heard a rumor there was a agreement not to sell in the US.. for 10 years..

you can actually read the history on their website. most people think they licensed or simply ripped the design off which is'nt true, the 92's are made on former beretta machines.. beretta had a factory in brazil because it was required to use Brazilian labor in the contract.. after words they had no desire to keep it.

anyway the old taurus had the mag release on the bottom of the grip.. the very first beretta 92's actually had frame safety's btw, then they moved it to the slide, most people think taurus made that design change from slide to frame but actually taurus just kept the old frame safety design rather then invent it.

both taurus and beretta moved the mag release to behind the trigger independently.. this is why the mag release's are'nt interchangeable and also the notch is shaped a little bigger on the taurus.

taurus mags will actually fit in the beretta.. however because it has a bigger notch it has more play and probably will not feed correctly or lock the slide on empty mag, if you press on the bottom of the taurus mag in the beretta it will lock the slide.

the beretta mags will not lock into the taurus because the notch is to small on the mag but functionally they fit, just wont lock in place.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Done it with all my Beretta mags. Some of them do not lock back the slide, but that is a minor thing to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
stephpd said:
Shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't have the 92 but the mags work with the MilPro I have. Just had to add a notch in the right place.
I have been wondering about just that. I just bought a MilPro PT140...still a few days to wait. I was hoping my Beretta 96 mags would work in the MilPro. How well do they lock up/feed etc? How much work was it to cut the new holes? Got pics?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you compared most average mags for firearms of different brands you will find that a very large number of them will function very well in other firearms by simply making or adjusting the mag release notch in the magazine. Like I mentioned earlier, the only real side affect I have sometimes noticed is that the slide may not always lock back after last round and occasionally the feed ramp may not line up perfect causing the occasional round catching.

Measure carefully and use a dremel tool for the cutting...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was wondering this also cause I found a package deal with 2 15rnd beretta mags and holder for less than what 2 taurus mags cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts