Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post. I have a Taurus 85 ultralight with a classic hammer. I wonder what my options are (besides getting a new gun) for me to change the hammer so its does not have a beaver tail? I want it for pocket carry. I have seen other Taurus guns that have an external hammer but its flat and only comes out when the trigger is pulled. Could I order a similar part and change it out my self? or would I have to send it to the manufacturer? Is what Im talking about even possible? I dont really want to have to grind down the beaver tail if I have to. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone on here will.

Welcome to the best gun forum on the internet from East Texas

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The easiest way to do it is to remove the hammer and cut off the hammer spur. There was a thread that had some detailed pics of a M85 hammer bob, but a (very) brief search didn't turn up the thread. Search for "hammer bob" and you'll find it eventually.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong; but bobbing the hammer voids the life time warranty. (I'm in the process of acquiring a concealed hammer, aka CH to convert my 85SS2UL for better pocket carry.)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong; but bobbing the hammer voids the life time warranty. (I'm in the process of acquiring a concealed hammer, aka CH to convert my 85SS2UL for better pocket carry.)
Taurus has told me, in regards to my PT1911, that changing/modifying parts only voids the warranty on that part. If, for example, there was a problem with the barrel and you had modified the hammer, you are still covered for the barrel.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Hey all, first post. I have a Taurus 85 ultralight with a classic hammer. I wonder what my options are (besides getting a new gun) for me to change the hammer so its does not have a beaver tail? I want it for pocket carry. I have seen other Taurus guns that have an external hammer but its flat and only comes out when the trigger is pulled. Could I order a similar part and change it out my self? or would I have to send it to the manufacturer? Is what Im talking about even possible? I dont really want to have to grind down the beaver tail if I have to. Thanks!
Welcome to Taurus Armed, lunargolfball!

Just some terminology here so if you go to a gunsmith they know what your are talking about. Your revolver, unless very unusually constructed, does not have a beaver tail. The part you are referring to is the spur of the hammer or simply the hammer spur. This is a beaver tail on a 1911 semi-auto pistol. http://grayguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/1911-rebuild-roy-04.jpg It is designed to keep the hand out of the way of a recoiling slide or hammer.

Anyway, I've never tried to order a spurless hammer from Taurus. If Numrich Gun Parts ever gets some in, that would be one way to go. I believe that spurless hammers don't come with a single action notch so you wouldn't have to worry about fitting your trigger to the new hammer. It could very likely be a drop-in part and that is very cool. :cool:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am so glad I owm a mod 85 with bobbed hammer. There should be a way to purchase the bobbed hammer from Taurus. The model # for mine is 2-850121 AKA M85 CH or Chief. Call Taurus and see if you can get one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I Bobbed my hammer by just holding the gun to the grinder until it was as small as I wanted. It works fine and took a few minutes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did my 905 with a series of files and sandpaper/emerycloth. It took a little time but it turned out exactly how I wanted it.
I did find that the stock spring is probably a little too light to reliably fire every time, so I'm going to be ordering a heavier one here soon, when I have time to mess with it.
I'd check with Taurus as well, though... they may be able to send you one.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
I despurred a Smith and Wesson Model 10 once. I just used a bench grinder and then touch-up blueing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I called Miami today. I was told that they will not sell hammers, as it is on the restricted list.
Restricted List? Which list is that? Restricted in what way and by whom?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
That's all I got... I asked that and was told just that I couldn't purchase one.

BTW-- can't wait to see the rest of your project, proffett...

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's all I got... I asked that and was told just that I couldn't purchase one.
Perhaps I'll have my 'smith call them and see what they have to say...
BTW-- can't wait to see the rest of your project, proffett...
Me too... I'm getting ready to get back on the project... shouldn't be too much longer if I can stick with it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts