Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the controversy swirling around M855 ammo and given how the anti's enjoy using incrementalism to submarine our rights.... I had a scary thought looking down the road!
The people who framed the law about armor piercing ammo specifically intended it for handgun ammo.....and specifically intended for rifle rounds to never be included - as they realized virtually any rifle round would defeat police body armor. With the BATF ignoring the intent of the law, and using the AR pistol platforms as a loophole to ban a rifle round, well....you know where I'm going right?
Think of the Encore, a pistol which wiki says (and I quote)

is found in over 86 cartridges - ranging from .22 Hornet to the huge .416 Rigby.
Scary where things could lead...eventually this issue will need to be settled before it goes too far!

Reactions: john_bud

·
Banned
15,276 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Not good.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a couple years ever since I heard about this law. Think the only reason they haven't come after the T/C pistols is the anti gun public doesn't pay attention to a single shot pistol, only scary semi automatics that fire a .30 caliber magazine clip in half a second. The ATF is the law enforcement wing of the anti freedom progressives. They don't do any real thinking they just go after things that make their fan base mad. The gun grabbers don't even know the T/C exists.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Do the research, TC caught several long legal battles over the Contender. BATF split hairs and wrote several rules over it. The Contender at that time and to my knowledge has never been used in a crime. You also have bolt action handguns from several companies that can be almost any rifle caliber. Some used in competition past 1000 yards. Nothing new, and nothing BATF has not kicked around in years past.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The legal battles had to do with the potential of the Contenders to be used as SBRs. The scenario I painted had has to do with handgun ammo being able to defeat body armor.... and the BATF (potentially)finding a handgun to then ban a rifle round.
Contenders have been around since 1967. The Bill of Rights have been around since 1791 and current administration has no respect for that precedent!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
They were battles over the SBR issue but they also expressed concern about a handgun being able to fire rifle ammo and the issue of it being capable of being taken down into a small packable size. All the issues were not written up as rulings at the time or taken to court. The ability to shoot AR ammo was discussed back then but not pushed.
Not in disagreement, just saying they have been kicking this thing around for a long time. They have also looked at different custom design handgun bullets. When they were turned solids the material turned from is regulated.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The problem is that Obama has ordered the BATFE to find some way in the Gun Control Act of 1968 to clamp down on gun owners. They have no authority to do any of this as it changes the law as framed by Congress. Why not? Obama got away (until yesterday) with skirting Congress and rewriting laws to suit himself. The GCA 68 needs to be repealed but our nutless wonders in Congress won't. Obama won't quite. I hope everything he has done is struck down by the Supreme Court.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Well, there is hope. They have to ban specific calibers, and be pretty darn specific about which ones they are banning. A slight tweak, a 0.0001 change here or there, and you get around the ban by having a new caliber.

The same thing happens in the pharmaceutical realm. If the FDA or some other arm of the gov't bans a substance, pharm companies can just tweak some non-essential section of the chemical, call it a new thing, and make the gov't start all over again with the motion to ban.

Frankly, it'd be a boon to gun manufacturers if people regularly had to purchase guns in new calibers because of all this silly gov't action.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Here's the information from the 'box' Colin referred to:

Definition of Armor Piercing:
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and
which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other
substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron,
brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended
for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25
percent of the total weight of the projectile.

How to Contact the BATF:

CONTACT THE BATF:

ATF email: [email protected]

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

Plus a couple more handy links:

Find Your Representative · House.gov

U.S. Senate: Senators of the 114th Congress

1 - 16 of 16 Posts