·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model 651 .357 (Cockable)

Model 650 .357 (Not Cockable)

Model 851UL .38+p (Cockable)

Model 850 .38+p (Not Cockable)

I would like any opinions or thoughts you all may have these models. I have an M85BUL and love it, but the hammer gets in the way in drawing from the pocket where I carry. I would like to retain the ability to cock the weapon but this feature is not critical if the action is smooth enough or can be made smooth enough.

BTW, I normally would keep it stoked with .38 +p's regardless of what the gun was chambered for. I truly feel that this loading is sufficient for self defense in the majority of circumstances.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm a fan of the DAO Centennial style. So my vote is for the 650 or 850.
Never was drawn to the humpback Bodyguards.

·
Registered
959 Posts
NYPD +1

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
NYPD +2

I'd hate to have my thumb slip off that little bit o' hammer on the '51. The '50 seems as though it would carry and draw easeir, or shoot thru a pocket better.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I use a M650 as a carry gun in rotation (depending on what I'm wearing). Previous to getting it I used a M85 that had the hammer spur removed via dremel (it ain't pretty but it works!). With guns this size I don't place a high priority on being able to cock a hammer. Yes, there are situations where it could be desirable but I feel that its more likely that the design will prevent a weapon jam due to lint (or other junk) getting into the action of the gun.

For some more info:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8007.0

Steelheart

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Truth be told I'm partial to the centennial style myself, I just wish they had it in ultra light,... the only other concern I have is the trigger. The trigger on my M85 is very stout and stiff in DA mode, SA mode is nice and sweet. For those of you who have the hammerless centennial style, how stiff is your trigger? Would a good trigger job be worth the money to get?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm another who wishes for a M850ULSS (Ultra-Light Stainless Steel) but Taurus hasn't seen fit to make one as far as I know.

My M85 settled into a good trigger pull and my M650 is getting there. It generally doesn't take spending money on a trigger job, it takes lots of cycles of the gun. Whether its dry fire at home or rounds out the barrel on the range doesn't matter. What you are doing is letting the parts of the action polish themselves against one another.

If you run a Search for M85's (and yes, you will get a version of the phone book) you will find where this has been discussed by various members over the duration of the forum.

Steelheart

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love my little CIA -it is a joy to shoot and carry--its the one as my avatar pic. I pack it in a Blackhawk Speed Classic and I can carry it all day and barely notice it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts