Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ammo shortage going on how is that working for you? I talked to a guy at the range today during the monthly kid’s day that is kicking himself for consolidating to just 9mm. He can’t find ammo locally and can’t really afford to order online in bulk. That got me thinking, I have seen many posts where people over the last year were consolidating to just one caliber. Is that decision biting you in the rear end now?

I know when I go to any store that sells ammo it is hit and miss on what they have. Having at least a few calibers to choose from seems like the best bet right now.

·
Registered
521 Posts
By choice and necessity (I have a limited firearm budget.), I have consolidated on .357/38sp and .22lr. I don't think it has necessarily hurt me in ammo shortages. It allowed me to stock up on the 357 when I found them. Even though a little more than I normally like to pay, being able to focus on one caliber has allowed me to save some time. I have been able to slowly stock up 300-400 rounds, plus allows me to focus on one caliber for reloading components. All I need now is small pistol primers and a few more bricks of .22s and I will feel confident with my shooting habits. For me it lets me focus on the deals and not having to try and feed lots of firearms.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i think having different types of weapons is the way to go. have a 22 rifle, 12ga shotgun, 38 sp and the 9mm. can get ammo for one of them when go looking, works for me. :)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I seem to be in the opposite. I had for many years always restricted to just a few calibers and gauges. Then in the past few years expanded into other calibers and gauges. I now have a very varied collection of arms And ammo. I feel that just like I have done for years with my 16 ga, I will stock up when it's available and priced right and ignore it otherwise. I find that I can enjoy certain weapons when the price is right and just wait when it's short of expensive.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have focused on .22, 9mm and .45acp before the shortage because they were all readily available, many pistols and revolvers offered in those calibers, would not have too many different boxes in my range bag, and reloading in two calibers would simplify things. Since the shortage, I have been mixing in .22s and have been enjoying the practice (especially a GSG 1911-22).

·
Registered
477 Posts
I considered consolidating once but decided it would likely take a lot of fun out of shooting range trips.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I've standardized on 9mm and .45 for handguns (.22 is pretty much a foregone conclusion). I've also been stocking up a little at a time for a couple of years. While I don't have enough, will never have too much, I still am somewhat comfortable. As far as rifle goes, again, it's .22. I also am down to two rifle calibers other than .22. 30-30 and 5.56. Once things resume some degree of normalcy, I might get a 30-06. As with my pistols, I am somewhat comfortable in terms of stockpile. To answer the OP's question, nope.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I will never regret consolidating to the 40cal S&W round. I have two pistols and a revolver in this round. The way I look at it, I only need to hoard one cal. On the other hand, I do have a 9mm and 380 pistol as wll as a 44mag revolver.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I consolidated a few years ago when I got rid of my 9mm three years ago and including .22 and shotguns, I am down to only 10 calibers and gauges.

Big Ugly Tall Texan convinced me the 9mm wasn't any good for Jackrabbits and worked well only on Europeans.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Many of us Old Farts remember the "Ant & the Grasshopper" story from our grade school days, and the foolishness of 1994's bans and quietly made arraignments accordingly.

In other words, we weren't caught "off guard" if one reads between the lines.

I dare to say that once things settle down on "round two" of this foolishness, other folks will do what we did. Buy a little ammo at the time as one can afford it. It will accumulate as well as the stockpiles of the rich hoarders.
:r_c:

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm happy with multiple calibers; I like to change it up at the range. Since I reload ammo is not an issue for now. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, the key is to plan ahead and be prepared.

Today's range trip was the first time I did not see hundreds of brass cases laying around to be picked up. I think most shooters are starting to feel the crunch.

Reactions: AZM66

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
When ammo is plentiful, and if you ever start building a larder, the feeling becomes somewhat akin to Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge in his Money Bin.

I remember going and just looking at my ammo pile as it got bigger and bigger, counting and recounting the larder as it grew and at a point feeling comfortable, but still collecting good buys as I had the money to spare and the values appeared.

I wish I had been the same way about money 40 years ago. If I were to sell my current larder today, I could triple most of my investment, so it is nearly as good as money. If the shtf, it would be money.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
A good thread that makes a valid point. I thought I would just have 3 calibers when I got back into handguns - 9mm, .38 Spec. and .22lr.

Decent quality guns were more plentiful and affordable in those calibers. But I'm glad I expanded before the panic hit. A variety is what you need during a shortage. In retrospect, "consolidated" is just another way of saying "limited".

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I have sufficient ammunition on hand in the following calibers..........
• 22lr
• 7-30 Waters
• 7.62x54R
• 30/30 Winchester®
• 30/06 Springfield
• 444 Marlin®
• 38 Special
• 357 Magnum
• 41 Magnum
• 12ga
• 16ga
• 20ga
• 28ga
• 410 ga

I reload every caliber & gauge with the exception of 22lr. I have shells, wads, primers, shot, buckshot, slugs, brass, bullets, & cast boolits. While I forsee buying more firearms, all will be in the calibers/gauges I already have; and not any new ones.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i think having different types of weapons is the way to go. have a 22 rifle, 12ga shotgun, 38 sp and the 9mm. can get ammo for one of them when go looking, works for me. :)
Shotgun ammo is still cheap. I have around 600 shells in my closet. I figure if SHTF I could do pretty well with that. Is it weird that I have a plan with a few families to head out to my buddy's ranch (former Recon marine) and set up camp? Am I a "prepper"?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I am the opposite. I will maintain .22, .38/.357, 9mm and .40cal. I say always be ready to shoot what you find.
Yep - mainstream and diverse. I'm partial to semi-auto anything and have stayed with 22LR, 9mm, 40S&W, 223/5.56, 7.63x39 and 12 gauge. I intend to add 45 ACP in'13. I currently reload 9, 40 & 223 and can add a caliber with ease SO I can buy ammo (still have a stash from the last election) OR reloading supplies. I have gathered enough 45 brass that I could avoid ever buying over-the-counter ammo in that caliber - which could be an interesting first if I went that way. I have good stores BUT if a caliber ever really goes south, I have reasonable substitutes and material to trade as well.

Just my strategic approach. Maybe I need a revolver or two but, frankly - I'm happy heading down this road.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Shotgun ammo is still cheap. I have around 600 shells in my closet. I figure if SHTF I could do pretty well with that. Is it weird that I have a plan with a few families to head out to my buddy's ranch (former Recon marine) and set up camp? Am I a "prepper"?
If that's all you have, your a person with 600 rounds of ammo. A prepper will have the bulk of his stash in a secure location at the camp. And enough at home to get to the camp when the S is still dropping.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts