Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always been a diehard 45 guy, but must admit that i can handle a 9mm slightly better, allot of my friends have downgraded, mostly to 40 calibers, one of my motivations would be ammo consolidation, and as my wife shoots 9mm already, i would go that route. that pt 917 is awful sweet looking, it is basically a newer version of my 809 (i think) which i shoot well.

the arguement of which one is sufficient (caliber) rears it ugly head in the back of my mind, but in a 24/7 platform,(current carry pistol) would you rather have the 5 extra 9mm rounds or have the 45?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I prefer the .45 over the 9mm for deeper penetration and larger cavity creation in the target. From what I have heard, most one on one gun fights are over within the first three rounds. So the extra rounds aren't as important to me as the immediate damage that can be done.

However, I think you should shoot what you are most comfortable with and what you shoot better.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I switched to 9mm as a primary for a couple of reasons. My (now ex) girlfriends gun was a 9mm and I only wanted to keep 1 pistol caliber in stock in larger quantities. Plus there are many very good loads in 9mm now so the difference in effectiveness isn't much (I figure the quality of the hit will matter more). And the ammo is much cheaper so I can either stock more or shoot more than 45.

I've wandered over the the theory that I don't so much pick a caliber and then pick a gun. I pick a platform/gun and then pick a caliber that will work well.

Steelheart

·
Registered
846 Posts
Both above me are right, even though I am not a 9mm fan there is so much more ammo out there now with the new bullets, Gold Dots , Golden Saber, Hydra Shock etc. than years ago. I wouldn't wanta be shot by any. I agree you don't need all this round capacity your not in a drive by, and after so many rounds it ain't self defence anymore.
So in a nutshell if your good with the gun and ammo your ok.

·
32,737 Posts
Was going to reply and then found out there's a link with links within it that explain what I was going to post. :) So here goes.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0

Cheaper than the other calibers to shoot for the most part, quicker shot to shot recovery times, and easy on the shooter and the gun.What's not to like?

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
If you like it, then go for it. Have a friend that is former LEO. He's gone from .40 to 9mm because it's more comfortable for him.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can shoot 9mm and 9x18 with much better accuracy than I can with my .45 but that's because I still haven't gotten used to the .45 yet. I trust that all three of those calibers would serve me well, I just happen to like bigger bullets. I like to feel the power!!!! LoL!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The 9mm actually penetrates deeper than the 45 ACP. As others have stated, there are many excellent loads for the 9mm in this day and age.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
I love both the 9mm and .45 ACP, and my latest choice for a new 24/7 was in 9mm. I'm comfortable with either caliber,as I have carried both, but tend to prefer the 9mm, as I tend to be more accurate with it and the 9mm will always feed more reliably in Semi-Autos, due largely to it's tapered case design.

I am considering adding a PT24/7 or two, in .45 as well. (Standard length and Longslide versions) However, I am very happy with my current 24/7 in 9mm, and I feel very well armed with it!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've been pondering this question too for a future auto pistol purchase. I like big bullets but shot a freinds 9mm a while ago, it was very user freindly and I shot it better than a .45 in rapid fire.
Something I recently read, "We talk about .45's, shoot 9mm's and carry .38's."

·
Registered
235 Posts
The .40 is a good in between. It deposits more energy than a 9mm, moves faster than a .45, and they aren't ridiculous in ammo prices. Its obviously more than 9mm, but its significantly less than .45ACP.

Not to mention, in a 24/7, the .40 still holds 15+1.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Personally, I would not fret over 9mm, .40, or .45. All three are good choices. If we were to do some research, I'm sure we would find that quite a few people have been killed, stopped, or incapacitated by smaller rounds as well.
I would put my eggs in the basket that is easiest for me to use effectively. If you want less recoil and cheaper ammo, 9mm is great. If you want more power transferred to the target, .45 is great. If you want something between those two, .40 is great.
I believe the reason people debate caliber so much is because they are all quite effective & there is no single round that is decisively superior for everyone. People are different, thus they should make different decisions based on their own preferences.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
The 9mm actually penetrates deeper than the 45 ACP. As others have stated, there are many excellent loads for the 9mm in this day and age.
I was about to mention they samething.... What the 45acp has over the other calibers (9mm-40s&w, etc) is blunt force trauma at close range and large wound cavity. As for the 9mm and 40cal, they are both nearly identical in real world ballistics.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have the 45 colt, both solid lead and JHP's I know when I fired them at a heavy solid piece of wood they blew a hell of a hole, each one of them. The 9 mm 115, 124 both blew a nice hole just smaller. Both were FMJ, I have some jhp's in 9 but have not fired them yet. They are plus P's that my retired policeofficer son, had in his box.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In autos, I used to use .45acp, exclusively. My BIL was a 9mm fan, and we had many spirited, and fun, interludes about the advantages and disadvantages of both. The odd part, I often carried a snub .38, while snubbing the Nine. :???: :rolleyes:
Now, mostly for expedience sake, I have a hi-cap 9mm, shoot it a lot, and shoot it well. I am confident in its abilities. If my BIL were still alive, I'm sure I would get many "I told you so's".
That being said, 9mm ammo has improved, greatly, since the '80s.
PS. I still carry a snub .38 a lot.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
My next and last purchase will probably be a 357, only because I know I can use 38's, +P. +P+, and 357 without any problems. The cost break between just 38 or 357 is just not enough difference to go for the 38 only.

That being said, I really love the 45 Colt outa that 6.5 inch barrel on THE JUDGE. What ever is in front of it, I think they will stop.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Since you're a diehard .45 guy and because your wife already shoots the 9mm -- why not both?

If I had 17 +1 rounds of 9mm or 12 +1 in .45 ACP, I'd have to say I'd feel as equally protected with one as with the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy a lot and shoot often! :)

Unless we are someplace we expect tons of trouble, 12 or 20 rounds should do just fine. The stats still say 2-5 rounds, 7 - 15 ft.

In my opinion your skill level, including accuracy under stress and willingness to use the firearm are far more important than which caliber. For may years folks have maligned the 38 special as being ineffective and yet there have still been more bad guys stopped with it than any other caliber.

That being said, I like to have a lot of bullets with me. My son carrys a Glock 21 and 2 extra magazines. He has extensions on each mag making them 15 round. So, in total he has 46 rounds (one in the tube) on him when he goes anywhere! I have several Sig P226s in 9mm. I have 3 mags with me as well only they are 18 rounders. That means I have 55 rounds on me when I go out! I'm sure neither of us feels under gunned! We live in a community where gang activity is on the rise. Many months ago we had a gun store break-in and every gun they stole was of higher capacity than what I had at the time, no more. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts