Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Considering reloading w/ Hardcast bullets instead of jacketed bullets in 9mm and 40 SW (titegroup powder). Do the hardcast bullets dirty up the barrels severly? I clean my guns (PT111G2 & PT740)after shooting w/ a boresnake, which seems to keep them clean.

what can you tell me about the hardcast.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Not really a bad thing, just remember to run some lead remover through it every so often to minimize leading the barrel. But the right mix of hardcast can act like jacketed rounds and leave little to no lead at all. But it never hurts to be safe, and I'm sure a number of guys here will tell you about their favorite products that they use.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,876 Posts
The secret is to get the right amount of powder for the right bullet, for your weapon. Pushing them to fast or to slow is the problem. When you hit the right mix, it will be no worse than jacketed bullets. Hope this helps

Reactions: skimp and Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I switched over to hard cast in .380ACP, .32 S&W L, 9mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, and .45ACP and have not seen any problems with leading. Now I clean the old fashioned way but have considered trying the bore snakes.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I use hard cast lead bullets in a PT-92 all the time, The key is to start low and inspect your barrel often when testing loads. With the right powder charge, you should not see significant fouling. Too little and the bullet seal to the barrel and engage the lands/grooves correctly, That makes the shots very inaccurate, Too hot and the gas will cut through the bullet edge and really foul your barrel. I find checking barrel temperature help. Too hot or too light and the chamber end heats up quickly. Even heating or muzzle warms first I]means a better charge.

And I use TiteGroup with 125gr Hard Cast Lead bullets. Slightly smoky, but good, consistent shot groups and minimal fouling.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A lot of your older shooters and high volume shooters run cast. Some of my friends never shoot anything but hand loads and cast. An old friend that died a few years back would brag the only factory ammo or jacketed bullets he ever shot was rim fire or military. He shot cast in 30/06, 30/30, 30 carbine and all his center fire handguns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A cast bullet must fit your barrel correctly. If your barrel slugs at .356 then you need a .358 cast bullet. I shoot cast bullets in every gun I have that does not go over 2400 fps. I also can push a plain base cast bullet to 1700 fps without any leading. It is all in the fit. I even shoot lead in my Glock. Key

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I use nothing but cast, both BHN 12 and BHN 19 and I do not have problems with leading. But, what you will find in shooting lead, is a build up of bullet lube, so you will have to pay a little more attention to cleaning the barrel after each range trip. The BHN 12 I keep under 1000FPS and the BHN 19 I go up to 1800FPS depending on cal. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I have 125gr. hard cast LRN 9mm. from Blue Boy Bullets sized .356.
4.0gr. HP-38 or 4.4gr. WST work fine. I don't notice any leading, just some powder residue near the breech.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You also need to watch for lead build-up in your seating/crimping die. If OAL starts to drop, check for build-up immediately.

Reactions: skimp

·
Registered
580 Posts
Been there for long time, switched and like staining my bullets or you can buy em cheap ready to shoot at twoalphabullets.com
This way no lead or copper fouling.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cast bullets are way easier on your bore than jacketed. Lead is actually used for lubrication in some instances. (remember leaded gas?) A little dirtier depending on powder, bullet lube, velocity, and bullet size. Cast bullets will almost always work best when sized .001 - .002 over bore diameter and will also help prevent leading of the barrel. I almost exclusively shoot cast in all my guns and I do my own casting and lube/sizing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts