Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of 9mm pistols that I love, but to be honest it's no fun shooting them any more. I used to shoot 9mm all day at the range a long time ago, but I guess I've gotten to the age where the recoil is getting to be too much for me. Even racking the slide on a 9 takes extra effort. Really don't want to admit it, but my hand strength isn't what is used to be, if I try to open jars now I feel like I'm exerting max effort but nothing happens. Got to cheat and use rubber bands or some rubberized shelf liner around the lids to help me.

Besides the physical strength problems, there's the cost of ammo and the ability to carry a lot more .22LR than 9mm if I have to, along with the total weight of the gun loaded...so, I'm thinking about selling off my nines and only having a couple of .22LR pistols, for carry and around the house. It's a terrible decision to make, I've been on the fence about it for quite some time now.

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
One of my shooting buddies is where you are concerning the .22. He has a Glock 43 9mm, for carry and home defense. When we go shooting, he shoots a few rounds in the 9 to check function and making sure he can still hit what he shoots at. But after that it's a semi-auto Ruger .22 for the rest of the session. Still have a lot of fun, but the 9 has become to uncomfortable for extended shooting for him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of my shooting buddies is where you are concerning the .22. He has a Glock 43 9mm, for carry and home defense. When we go shooting, he shoots a few rounds in the 9 to check function and making sure he can still hit what he shoots at. But after that it's a semi-auto Ruger .22 for the rest of the session. Still have a lot of fun, but the 9 has become to uncomfortable for extended shooting for him.
22 revolvers are great range guns. Cheap to shoot and no bending over to pick up fired brass.

·
32,941 Posts
I'm on the fence about going to .22lrf only now. I've found out that the .32 ACP is still something I can shoot with out too much trouble. I've got at least 5 pistols in that caliber. On the other hand I have five rifles and4 pistols and 4 revolvers in .22lrf.
It may not be something we want to do, but out of necessity have to go to the .22lrf or have nothing at all. The .22lrf will suffice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In terms of self defense, that would be purely idiotic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh just stop it. I'm not going to get drawn into a caliber war... 22LR has killed plenty of people and is a very underrated round. For many it's their only option and I certainly wouldn't call them idiots for it and neither should you.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oh just stop it. I'm not going to get drawn into a caliber war... 22LR has killed plenty of people and is a very underrated round. For many it's their only option and I certainly wouldn't call them idiots for it and neither should you.
I understand where you're coming from. I can still handle any caliber that I want to shoot for now, but not so for my wife. She still loves her .45 1911s and shoots them well, but can no longer rack the slide. The same applies to all of our 9mm and most of our .380 handguns. She also has accuracy issues with revolver triggers in double-action. You have to go with what works for you. Nothing idiotic about that at all. It's called survival. In your case, I do like the the .22 Magnum option if possible, but it's as pricy to shoot these days as 9mm.

·
Premium Member
7,387 Posts
If you love the 9's keep them and add 22's. The Taurus 992 combo 9 shot revolver comes with both a standard 22 and a 22mag cylinder. It is a hoot to shoot.
Never fired a 22 mag. How does that compare recoil wise to 22LR?

If racking is the problem I recommend a Beretta Tomcat with the tip up barrel.

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
Never fired a 22 mag. How does that compare recoil wise to 22LR?

If racking is the problem I recommend a Beretta Tomcat with the tip up barrel.
I have a Ruger Single Six. Recoil is just a little more than .22lr with .22mag. But louder.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Even racking the slide on a 9 takes extra effort. Really don't want to admit it, but my hand strength isn't what is used to be, if I try to open jars now I feel like I'm exerting max effort but nothing happens. Got to cheat and use rubber bands or some rubberized shelf liner around the lids to help me.

Besides the physical strength problems, there's the cost of ammo and the ability to carry a lot more .22LR than 9mm if I have to, along with the total weight of the gun loaded...so, I'm thinking about selling off my nines and only having a couple of .22LR pistols, for carry and around the house.
I agree that the cost of 9mm ammo is outrageous right now.
However, if you're having trouble racking you slide, you might try this: www.rack-it.org
They make ones that clip onto your belt, or attach to a table.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree that the cost of 9mm ammo is outrageous right now.
However, if you're having trouble racking you slide, you might try this: www.rack-it.org
They make ones that clip onto your belt, or attach to a table.
Checked the price of .22 ammo lately? It's on a par with 9mm.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts