Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been very pleased with my 738, it was my first Taurus product.

I am now thinking about a second Taurus, either a 1911 model 1911BHW Taurus International Manufacturing Inc or a revolver in .22lr such as the 992B4 Taurus International Manufacturing Inc=

I know it is like comparing Apples and Oranges. This will most likely be my last firearm purchase in some time, and I would like to know which firearm between these two is the best made, reliable, and least likely to ever give me reason to doubt its purchase.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If this is your first 1911, you may want to hold off buying one for as long as you can. 1911's are addictive, sort of like eating one potato chip, you just got to have another.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Buy both, you will end up doing it anyway. You are not just choosing a product. You are choosing a way of life and the cost is well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
I would go with the PT-1911 over the 992. That said I would also consider the Rossi M98 over the 992. Just a personal preference. Use is also a thing to consider. The .22 will be cheaper to plink with and offer less in the means of SD. Hard decision to make and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If you don't have a 22 pistol, I'd probably go there first. They're the cheapest to shoot, very accurate, and just plain fun. I can honestly say that I don't know anybody that doesn't like shooting 22's.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is your first 1911, you may want to hold off buying one for as long as you can. 1911's are addictive, sort of like eating one potato chip, you just got to have another.
My first 1911 was a Colt Government Model .45ACP in 1979.

It served me well for 27 years, then I sold it to fund another purchase in 2006.

I have not had any regrets as far as selling it, I just tired of it at the time, and had other "wants".

Now I find myself wanting a 1911, or a .22lr/.22Mag revolver.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The first ever revolver I shot was a Taurus Model 94. If I was in the market for a new .22 LR revolver, I would not think twice about the Model 94.

1911's? As someone else pointed out -- addictive. Am holding off as long as I can on buying my first 1911.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't have a 22 pistol, I'd probably go there first. They're the cheapest to shoot, very accurate, and just plain fun. I can honestly say that I don't know anybody that doesn't like shooting 22's.
I have a Ruger MKII .22lr, but I would like a .22lr/.22Mag revolver also.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
A 1911 is a GRAND piece of hardware. .22's are a hoot to shoot. Pick the one you like and don't look back. Both of the weapons you mentioned are reliable, quality guns that will give you tons of pleasure. Ask yourself "which one makes me smile more when I pick it up"?

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I love my PT 1911 I would not hesitate to recommend a PT 1911. I don't have a 992 so I can't speak to that.

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
As others have said, it really comes down to what you want it to do. You have the PT 738 which is a premier CWP pistol, but not great for plinking and falls short as a HD gun. For plinking you'll want something less expensive to feed, for HD you will appreciate the knock down power of a 230 grain HP round travelling at a relatively slower speed which can help reduce the chance of shoot through and collateral damage.

Once you go for the .45 ACP as a preferred round, you will probably also want to begin re-loading to help reduce the cost per shot for training.

I don't have any .22 handguns and love and appreciate my PT 1911.

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
!911 for sure. You will never have more fun.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gentlemen, I have owned firearms for over 40 years, and have an eclectic selection in my modest collection as I type this.

I am looking for opinions on which of the two Taurus hanguns I mentioned, is of higher build quality, and least likely to have something wrong with it (think reliability/resale value).

Thank you.

ps. I am a reloader

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Now THAT is an understatement! :p

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Gentlemen, I have owned firearms for over 40 years, and have an eclectic selection in my modest collection as I type this.

I am looking for opinions on which of the two Taurus hanguns I mentioned, is of higher build quality, and least likely to have something wrong with it (think reliability/resale value).

Thank you.

ps. I am a reloader
That is a very tough question to answer. I currently own two PT1911's and two Taurus revolvers, and I consider all of them to be of
excellent quality and very reliable. At the same time, as with firearms of any manufacture, the possibility of something going wrong is
always there. Luckily, we have the lifetime warranty to fall back on. As far as resale value, both are basically in the same boat. as
soon as the gun is fired, the value will drop (unless it is a much beloved model which gets discontinued, such as the PT1911AL).

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
If you get a .45 you have to get a .22 to prevent taking out additional loans against your house.

I had a model 94, it worked fine but the DA pull was almost ridiculous, don't know about the 992.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ditto on the 1911. You can't go wrong with the classic, proven design. Any half-way decent Firearms manufacturer worth it's salt can make a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I don't think you are asking what each poster thinks of each gun.... You sound like you have enough experience to decide that yourself.

Taurus makes fine handguns. They strive to make all of their products to the same standard of quality. At the same time it is a fact that all manufacturers turn out a lemon occasionally. What is important is not the occasional lemon, but what the company does to fix the problem when it happens.

I don't think either gun will have more quality or dependability than the other. If you search the internet it may seem as if the .22 combo has more problems. However, when you consider how many of both models are made it makes sense that the .22s have a better chance of a malfunction.

Also take into consideration how many 1911s are bought simply to get on the 1911 bandwagon by those who fall for the hype... Most shooters who buy a 1911, even those who reload or can afford the ammo, do not come close to how many rounds are shot in an average range trip with the .22.

I guess what I am suggesting is that the decision of which model to buy needs to be decided by your personal situation taking into consideration who will be shooting the gun, what the gun will be used for, and what you can afford not only in the purchase price but how much you can afford to feed it over time. Both models share Taurus quality and more importantly the Taurus warranty.

Whatever you choose, shoot safe and get us a a range report on the new c gun when you get a chance.

Don

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the sort of info, of what Im looking for.

Of the two firearms I mentioned, is either one known to be more prone to problems than the other?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts