Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've set a limit of $300 on my prospective CCW.
I'm considering the M360 or PT140 at Academy if they go on sale again for $299 or the M85 revolver at Bass Pro Shops for $299.
I'm not a huge fan of Tupperware guns although I own a Ruger SR40. Plastic guns just don't grab me like an all metal guns does. Autos do offer a higher bullet capacity along with the added weight of those bullets. The 85 is all metal but only 5 rounds. Statistics show during a gun battle usually there are 4 shots fired or less between parties. Chances are you'll be dead before you empty a 10 round magazine but peace of mind knowing you have those extra 5 shots is a factor.

In a life and death situation your mind freezes, your senses go to a fever pitch. With a revolver you pull it out and pull the trigger. With an auto you have to think - "where is the safety? Is there a round in the chamber?" In case of a misfire with a revolver you just pull the trigger again an auto requires some sort of other action.

I've been muling over my choices for a few days. In the mean time I'm still armed with the SR40 and a Smith 686.

No need to reply. I'm just posting some thoughts, your thoughts will be welcome of course.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I would suspect that you could find a nice CCW pistol for under $300.00, but can you bet your life on it?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The PT140 or the M85 would serve you well.

I've had an M85 .38 Special for twenty years, and just last summer I presented it to my 87-year-old father who was wanting a good, solid, dependable .38 to conceal carry. My elderly father stakes his life on this revolver 24 hours a day, and I feel confident knowing that he has it and feels comfortable with it.

I've owned two Millennium Pro pistols (although neither of them were .40 caliber)

and I carried them both and staked my life on their 100% dependability and amazing accuracy at self defense distances, until I acquired my PT740 Slim .40 S&W for concealed carry.

I've also owned a 24/7 OSS in .45 that was my home defense weapon for a good while and I had the utmost confidence in this gun for the defense of my family and domicile.

"Tupperware" guns...I don't think you'll feel that way if you ever make the decision to buy one and shoot it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: JerryMac and ozzy

·
Administrator
35,287 Posts
I think the PT145 or any other MilPro gun could likely be had for close to $300 and should serve you well. Mine is my primary CCW.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Either gun will do the job nicely. Your stats say average gun fight is 4 shots. What about the one that requires more? The safety is not an issue if you practice with it regularly. Develope the muscle memory for which ever gun you choose.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I chose my PT140 because it fit my hand so well, rule #1 if you don't like it you probably won't carry it. I then chose .40 cal for more capacity over .45 , pick a caliber you can shoot comfortable, it doesn't do any good if you can't hit the 10 ring with a .45 or.40 but can with a .9mm or .380 then practice at least once a month to retain muscle memory.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I've set a limit of $300 on my prospective CCW.
I'm considering the M360 or PT140 at Academy if they go on sale again for $299 or the M85 revolver at Bass Pro Shops for $299.
I'm not a huge fan of Tupperware guns although I own a Ruger SR40. Plastic guns just don't grab me like an all metal guns does. Autos do offer a higher bullet capacity along with the added weight of those bullets. The 85 is all metal but only 5 rounds. Statistics show during a gun battle usually there are 4 shots fired or less between parties. Chances are you'll be dead before you empty a 10 round magazine but peace of mind knowing you have those extra 5 shots is a factor.

In a life and death situation your mind freezes, your senses go to a fever pitch. With a revolver you pull it out and pull the trigger. With an auto you have to think - "where is the safety? Is there a round in the chamber?" In case of a misfire with a revolver you just pull the trigger again an auto requires some sort of other action.

I've been muling over my choices for a few days. In the mean time I'm still armed with the SR40 and a Smith 686.

No need to reply. I'm just posting some thoughts, your thoughts will be welcome of course.
On Note, I carry day in day out. I am fortunate enough to carry at work and when nature calls I pull my PT140 from the holster and click off the safety and set it on the comode. This is called muscle memory and I repeat it a few times a day and yes my pistol is hot. Sometimes it's better to not over think and just carry it and the answers will follow. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a pt140. After over 600 rounds the only trouble I had was with the first 50 rounds I shot through it were blazer aluminum. 2 fte and 1 failure to fire that went off on the second trigger pull with blazer. Took it home and cleaned it and since then I've had zero issues what so ever. I've ran WWB in fmj and jhp, PDX1, and federal fmj with out a single burp.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing to consider is to carry an auto with the first round being double action, safety off, basically the same as a revolver. You are limited in your auto choices (typically having an decocker), 24/7, 840, cz, beretta to name a few. The 24/7 and 840 can be had in a compact version for a little more than your dollar figure.

That is the way I carried my 24/7 before I sold it. That is the way I carry my px4 storm. I also carry a revolver every now and then.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
1) That's why you shoot your carry gun often and become intimate with it's controls. Muscle memory is important, but so is "brain" memory.
2) I seldom rotate carry weapons for the above reasons, and when I do, it's a similar weapon in it's features.
3) Many of the Taurus weapons have second strike capabilities.
4) My carry weapon is a PT145 MilPro. I also carry one extra mag in case there's a problem with the mag. Capacity, while a consideration, is not a focus item for me. Most SD shooting situations are over in 3-4 rounds. If your muscle memory won't allow you to hit COM with 4 shots, you need more range time.

Void where prohibited, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cdnn has the pt140 or the pt 24/7 pro c right in your price range right now. They also have the 651 if you decide on a revolver.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
$299 for a M85, I thought they just had a price drop to $199 retail. I know the Poly version just dropped to $299. If you want a revolver, by all means get a revolver. You don't want to get into a fight with a pistol you don't like.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$299 for a M85, I thought they just had a price drop to $199 retail. I know the Poly version just dropped to $299. If you want a revolver, by all means get a revolver. You don't want to get into a fight with a pistol you don't like.
Can you tell me who sells the M85 for $199?

·
Registered
27,325 Posts
If the average number of shots is 4 (and I'd like to see how that datum was compiled) then 1/2 of all gunfights involved more than 4 shots...
Your SR40 will do fine as a carry gun with the right holster and belt. Invest your $300 in a 738, Ruger LCP, or Kel-Tec P3AT and carry a BUG (back-up-gun) as well.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I thought $199 was the new retail price for the M85. They have been at that price at least since September at my LGS, Larry's Pistol & Pawn (who also happens to be the #1 distributor and #1 retailer for Taurus). M327 (.327 Federal Magnum) has been $239 for that same time period. Poly Protector went to $299 on Black Friday and will stay there. 738 went to $179 blue/$199 SS and will stay there. The blue PD Judge was on sale for $333. All 24/7 series were $299 and a number of revolvers in .22LR and .22Mag were $269. 740 Slim was $322. That's what I remember off the top of my head.

I don't see those prices reflected at their website, but I know the prices I quoted are in store. I talked to Larry last week and he said Taurus had large retail price drops on the 738, Slim series, M85, Poly Protector, and Poly Judge and closeout pricing on the models they were dropping, plus some more Black Friday/Christmas specials.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts