Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
That reminds me, since it is finally warming up, it is time to put the #9 birdshot back in the Judge as the snakes are starting to come out.

Reactions: Sekol and YOT

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a purpose driven gun. I had a guy at work asking about guns for home defense. After some discussion, he came to the realization that he couldn't take a life. Then I told him about the Judge and 410 gauge 000 rubber buckshot. He was very interested.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I know there are a lot of people out there that think that way, that they can not take a life, but that attitude is what gets people killed.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
I've always got my .22 magnum NAA Black Widow on me. I've started loading it with .22 mag rat shot. (number 12s) I just happened to have my 9mm TH9c on me the other day when I went out back and nearly stepped on a cotton mouth. He was moving, I was moving, and it took me 4 shot to hit the danged thing.

I've loaded my Heritage with the shot loads, too. I carry it out back when I'm checking the feeder and such.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congratulations to "The Judge"!

I know there are a lot of people out there that think that way, that they can not take a life, but that attitude is what gets people killed.
I can agree with that. I always try to promote the idea of loading two less lethal and three lethal rounds into the Judge. By the time most people have squeezed the trigger twice with less lethal, if the bad guy is still coming, they will warm up to the idea of lethal pretty fast. My lethal recommendation is the Hornady Critical Defense with a 41 caliber expanding slug followed by two 35 caliber lead balls or Federal four-ball 000. For the hard-core "can't take a life" folks, five rounds of 1,400 fps rubber 000 is still better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Bear in mind that the list is of the best selling guns on Gun Broker. It may mean that the Judge is among the top guns that people want to get rid of...

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bear ion mind that the list is of the best selling guns on Gun Broker. It may mean that the Judge is among the top guns that people want to get rid of...
I considered that but then the list was pretty impressive,
1 Ruger GP100
2 Heritage Arms Rough Rider
3 S&W 642
4 Taurus Judge
5 S&W 629

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Hmm, interesting list. Only .22 in there is the Heritage. That's likely due to the affordable price. I'm thinkin' the new Ruger Wrangler might make a dent in those sales. I mean, my Heritage is a decent shooter, but the Ruger ain't much more and it ain't zamak. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmm, interesting list. Only .22 in there is the Heritage. That's likely due to the affordable price. I'm thinkin' the new Ruger Wrangler might make a dent in those sales. I mean, my Heritage is a decent shooter, but the Ruger ain't much more and it ain't zamak. :D
I have the Rough Rider with both cylinders and the fiber optic sights in a 6". It's a very affordable target gun. Given its price, I can see why it is popular. For someone that wants to start experimenting with bullseye shooting, it's a great choice.

·
23,203 Posts
True, but human nature is what it is. The aversion to killing our own kind is deep-seated, and it isn't even always overcome by a lethal threat from another human. Might I suggest this?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78127.On_Killing

Weren't we just saying in another thread that the Rough Riders aren't Zamak any more either?

At the risk of breaking with forum tradition, I'll bring this back to the original topic. The Judge is often in lists of top-selling revolvers. It's one of Taurus' biggest successes, I'd say.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
From a misspent youth and numerous run ins with both knives and guns, I developed ideas or thoughts about what to do and why when confronted by either at close range, i.e., less than 5 feet. Now I am not talking about someone who set out to kill you, this is more of the situation that got out of hand, or escalated.

1. A person with a gun believes that if they shoot you, they will kill you. That belief on their part introduces a momentary hesitation that gives you the chance to attack them, since you are way too close to run away, and even cover that close is only momentary. I made up my mine not to hesitate, but to attack a gun at close range. And, yes, I know it is completely irrational for people to think that if they hit you it will kill you, but that is in fact a prevailing belief. I have seen it (the hesitation) happen too many times.

2. A person with a knife does not believe that will kill you, only that they will cut you up and hurt you. Again, another completely irrational belief, but again a prevailing belief. Truth is that a person with a knife is more likely to kill you than a person with a gun. I try to get away from a knife at close range, if at all possible. There are no winners in a knife fight, only survivors. If I can't run away, then it is take the knife away from that person, or make them drop the knife, or just hold on and hope someone steps in and stops us. Of course the last option only works if you have friendlies in the area.

3. If you have a knife or a gun, don't show it, don't ever try to use it to warn someone off. The first time anyone should find out that you are armed is after it has been used. Showing, or threatening, a weapon may sound like a good idea, but really it just hands the initiative to the other person. And it comes back to that "I am not going to hurt/kill another human" belief, it introduces a hesitation that can get you killed.

Yes, I understand it is human nature, but it can still get you killed. You have to be aware of the situation, and make up your mind to kill, or not, and act accordingly. Action always follows the mind's decision, so your mind has to be focused on the situation at hand and not distracted. JMHO

I think I brought up that not all Heritage RR are Zamak anymore, and that they are not all identified as steel, or not, on the box. A magnet is a good tool to use if there is a question. Got this from a salesman at my LGS, where they sell a lot of the Heritage revolvers.

...and back on topic....Yes, I would say that the Judge is one of Taurus' success stories. I would also say that many of the people who carry a Judge, are in fact Judges. Lawyer friend of mine told me that it seems to be the carry choice of most Judges, and that most Judges do carry when sitting at the bench, or in chambers.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It's a purpose driven gun. I had a guy at work asking about guns for home defense. After some discussion, he came to the realization that he couldn't take a life. Then I told him about the Judge and 410 gauge 000 rubber buckshot. He was very interested.
According to many folks across a wide array of firearms forums, the Judge is inherently non-lethal with .410 Shotshells because apparently .410 Bore is just that weak and the short, rifled barrel of the Judge spreads the shot so quickly at such low velocity that it will almost certainly miss the target, and if it does hit, then the most it will do is anger the attacker.

So just tell your friend to load up his Judge with 000 Buckshot and then link him to any number of "professional" articles which assert that the Judge isn't lethal, regardless of which .410 load you choose.

Weren't we just saying in another thread that the Rough Riders aren't Zamak any more either?
As near as I can figure, they never actually were. I checked their website via Wayback Machine and they have always listed their frame material as "Aluminum Alloy" for as long as their website has existed, which goes back as far as 1998.

So yeah, I would be interested in knowing exactly where the information is coming from that Rough Riders were ever constructed from ZAMAK in the first place, because it most certainly wasn't Heritage Arms. I'm going to be bold and guess that it was all just overstated supposition which was eventually adopted as fact despite the lack of any tangible evidence to support it, because upon looking into the matter, all I can find is a lot of folks saying that it's ZAMAK.
Seems like a case of the flawed logic that is, "If it's low in cost then it must be low in quality." to me. Just folks jumping to the unsubstantiated conclusion that they're made of ZAMAK just because they're inexpensive, without any knowledge of the difference in cost between ZAMAK and Aluminum.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congratulations to "The Judge"!

According to many folks across a wide array of firearms forums, the Judge is inherently non-lethal with .410 Shotshells because apparently .410 Bore is just that weak and the short, rifled barrel of the Judge spreads the shot so quickly at such low velocity that it will almost certainly miss the target, and if it does hit, then the most it will do is anger the attacker.

So just tell your friend to load up his Judge with 000 Buckshot and then link him to any number of "professional" articles which assert that the Judge isn't lethal, regardless of which .410 load you choose.
Maybe "some people" should actually take A Judge to a range and shoot it. By my first hand account, at seven yards, all three projectiles from a Hornady Critical Defense round and all four projectiles from a Federal 000 designed for pistols hit a B-27 target in the eight ring or better. I really don't care about "professional articles" that are incorrect. BTW, I am a published author who did post-graduate work on self defense and I'm an NRA certified pistol instructor. Your sources are wrong, at least in regard to the two rounds I mentioned.

Also, anything that impacts a body cannot be called "inherently non-lethal." Even rubber 000 buckshot can only be called "less lethal" because if a 000 rubber pellet hits in the right place, it can kill a person.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Sure looks like zamak to ME. :D

The Judge never appealed to me. I can see it as a snake gun, but it's HUGE and heavy, even the poly or UL and I just wouldn't carry it day to day. My Contender is more useful in the woods, anyhow. My carry guns defend my house. I don't think 9mm or .357 magnum is somehow "non-lethal". :rofl:

But, huge numbers of non-gun type people seem to think since it shoots shot shells, you can just point it in the general direction and stop the threat, don't have to learn how to shoot. That's my theory, anyhow. I've seen 'em at the gun counter asking to see a Judge and heard this very response. I reckon it'd increase the hit probability for those that can't shoot straight, at least at across a room ranges. But, it still needs to be aimed or pointed straight. The Judge caught on so well, even Smith and Wesson copied it! I think THAT is pretty rich. I've watched the Smith and Wesson snobs bash the Taurus from its inception, not just that it was a Taurus. Now, they can get a Governor and be happy. I think they were just jealous that S&W didn't think of it first.:rofl:

Now, Taurus wasn't the first. The Thunder Five pre-dates it. There are other .410 handguns, too. I have a single shot that I like, what with the choke that makes it useful in the woods. Bond Arms and Magnum Research make interesting .410s. TC's lawsuit against the ATF made the .410 handgun (with rifling) possible. Taurus can thank TC for that. :D Somehow, though, I think it was marketing, the Judge caught on like wildfire and it has made Taurus huge amounts of income. To me, that's a good thing. Taurus does seem to understand marketing. Wish that would bleed over to customer service.

This seems to be a good place for the .410 handgunner. http://www.410handguns.com/

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
@andyknaster, I was being sarcastic, sorry for the confusion. I own a Taurus Judge Magnum myself which serves as my bedside Home Defense firearm. I've seen what 000 Buck out of the Judge can do and am well aware of its capabilities, I was merely making fun of the so-called professionals who argue against it based purely on supposition/conjecture, and joking that you could convince your friend to carry self-defense ammo using the erroneous statements of said individuals.

@NativeTexan, Yeah, well mud looks an awful look like chocolate pudding to me, but I don't go around insisting that mud is in fact chocolate pudding, nor would I continue to do so after learning that Mother Nature herself has identified said mud as mud. :D

Honestly though, if Heritage Arms themselves says that the Rough Rider frames are Aluminum Alloy and there is no concrete evidence to the contrary, then continuing to say that it is ZAMAK is both stubborn and misleading.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
@andyknaster, I was being sarcastic, sorry for the confusion. I own a Taurus Judge Magnum myself which serves as my bedside Home Defense firearm. I've seen what 000 Buck out of the Judge can do and am well aware of its capabilities, I was merely making fun of the so-called professionals who argue against it based purely on supposition/conjecture, and joking that you could convince your friend to carry self-defense ammo using the erroneous statements of said individuals.

@NativeTexan, Yeah, well mud looks an awful look like chocolate pudding to me, but I don't go around insisting that mud is in fact chocolate pudding, nor would I continue to do so after learning that Mother Nature herself has identified said mud as mud. :D

Honestly though, if Heritage Arms themselves says that the Rough Rider frames are Aluminum Alloy and there is no concrete evidence to the contrary, then continuing to say that it is ZAMAK is both stubborn and misleading.
Then WHY does it not pass Illinois' 800 degree melting point law? Steel melts WAY above that, without looking it up. :D Aluminum is around 2000 degrees IIRC. And, the gun is heavy, way heavier than it should be with an aluminum frame.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Got it. Sorry that I missed the sarcasm. I must be channeling my inner Drax the Destroyer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts