Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been in the shooting hobby for about a year, and this is the group I get at 25 yards after 100 rounds, with 15 shots in Double Action:

Distance 25 feet

It seems like im flinching on the shots a lot. Lots of people can get a tight 2" group nearly at the end of the pistol range! Any advice on how to tighten the groups up would be appreciated. ;)

·
Administrator
40,095 Posts
Quit anticipating the shot and let the discharge be a surprise. You'll see what I mean, once you do it. It will become second nature.

Still not shabby, what you've done there! :thumb:

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
That really isn't bad for 25 yards... but take smokes advice!

Reactions: bre346 and Wolf1477

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Ditto. But that guy holding your target looks like he ate something that didn't agree with him! :D Must have been some really hot Mexican Food! :D :D

That is reasonable shooting at 25 yards (or was it feet - I saw both listed.). Try some dry fire practice with a snap cap and a Laser Lyte Trainer. It will help with your trigger control without the recoil and cost of ammo (the system will pay for itself in about 4 sessions). And you get immediate positive feedback.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That isn't bad shooting at all! I've seen and shot much worse before. Relaxing and breath control help out. Make
sure your stance is balanced and don't anticipate your shot. Keep your grip tight but comfortable and the most
important thing, practice, practice, practice.

·
32,619 Posts
The other thing is that if need be take a basic or advanced pistol course from the NRA. NRA.

Here's the reasoning. If you cannot get a good mentor to watch you and give constructive feedback and constructive criticism then a one on one with a instructor can help and in a relaxed atmosphere. Click on NRA Programs and pick the program that you need.

If not the local gun shop/range has them or access to them.

It seems like your shooting is pretty good, but if you want some improvement Smoke's advice is sound.

Dry firing with snap caps is a good way to go. Dull maybe, but well worth the trouble. Set up a target in a safe place and direction, make sure the gun is unloaded at least three time or more. No live ammo is to be out or anywhere in the immediate vicinity.

Then practice your hold and trigger pull. If the gun dips or goes off center then you know where the problem is. Roll the trigger smoothly through the whole pull. Relax and let it be normal. Use your breathing techniques for this...... and relax.

Hand pressure needs to be the same for both hands on the gun or during one hand shooting. People forget their either one hand shooting to practice. If the hand pressure changes during the trigger pull the aim will be thrown off.Take your time on this.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
To many people see Mel Gibson shoot a smiley face at 30 yards and think thats the norm. Its not its Hollywood. If you want to improve, shoot steel or IDPA but forget about 2" groups at 25 yards. The guy you shot is dead thats what counts. Remember we are civilians not Navy SEALS

Reactions: btleslie and Slakev

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not a bad grouping at 25 yds offhand.

I especially like the shot you hit the BG with in the left "jewel" ;)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
What you worried about???

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
At 25 yards I'd be happy, at 25 feet I'd be pretty happy too. What type of handgun are you shooting? a snub? 4" barrel? 5" barrel? If it was anything less than a 4" I'd be extremely pleased with the results. A 5" barrel I could understand wanting a little better results, but I would still be satisfied.

Practice trigger control, breaking the shot so it "surprises" you. Control your grip, firm but not stiff. Get training or have a shooting buddy keep you accountable.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Yeah, you may want to mention the handgun you fired.

That is not a bad group for 25 yards with most guns. I think all the suggestions made so far are good.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Well first of all as the others have said, that a fine group for 25 yards. If you want to improve, and you do not have an instructor to work with, you can do this. Start with the target at 7 yards. Shoot in groups of three, placing emphasis on shot placement and tight groups. When you can shoot groups you're satisfied with at 7 yards, back the target up to 8 yards and shoot the same practice routine until you can get your groups at 8 yards the same as your best at 7 yards. Just keep moving the target back a yard at a time, making sure that you can shoot consistent groups that are acceptable to you before you move the target back another yard. Don't expect performance to improve quickly as it will likely take time to perfect your skills. You will eventually reach a point where you can not improve any more regardless of distance. Also remember that your groups at 25 yards will not be as tight as your groups at 7 yards no matter how much you practice unless you practice at a rate of several hundred rounds a day, every day. There is also a point at which your gun will not shoot groups any tighter no matter how much you practice, also. Single action groups will be tighter than double action groups. Gun's with longer barrels will shoot tighter groups than guns with shorter barrels. And finally, some ammo will shoot more accurately in your gun than others brands and bullet weights. Throughout all of this try and be as consistent as you can be in your stance, grip, trigger technique, breathing, and sight picture. It may also help you to focus if you keep a shooting journal and keep a records of your performance.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I would not say that this shooting sucks at 25 yards, especially if you are using a snubby. The way I see it is using a snubby is not a marksman competition, as others have said, if the BG was real the threat would have been neutralized by almost every round. If you are just wanting to obtain tighter groups Big Skiff has some really good advice. I will probably even try some of it myself.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Front site, front site, front site, front site, BOOM! What the hell was that? OHHH I hit a bullseye!!!! Repeat.

Your grouping is not bad for 25 yards.

If you want to get better, go back to basics. Site control, grip, trigger control, stance, follow through, shoot a .22 in a similar platform, get instruction from a qualified teacher........

I personally would not be shooting for accuracy at 25 yards until I was comfortable with my performance at 10, then 15, then 20. Start at close quarters combat distances and when you are accurate at short range, start to increase your distance.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Wow... I can't even shoot that well...

Maybe I need to start buying more .22LR and practicing more... :/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts