Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I wanted to ask the pros for some advice in something that I'm guessing is just me being I've paranoid about.

I'll start by saying I'm 6'1 and weigh 315 lbs. I'm a big guy; though not extremely overweight, I do have a spare tire. I jus recently bought my full size 24/7 G2 and bought a Blackhawk! IWB holster for everyday concealed carry and it seems most comfortable to wear and draw between 2:30 and 3:00 with a forward cant.

The problem I have is
A. I feel like I'm always printing
and B. I can usually see just the point of the grip pushing against whatever shirt I'm wearing when I turn one way or another but I wonder if I'm just over aware that its there and the average joe would never know.

i realize that the whole point of carrying concealed is not to "hide" it but rather to have it covered to avoid drawing attention to ones self and remain low key. Should I worry about this or is it just me being over aware that its there?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Don't worry about it. No one will notice. As long as you are carrying legally, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Okay, now I can comment! :) A lot of it is a sort of self-conscious thing. How long have you been carrying?
By the sound of it, you haven't been carrying for very long, right?

Well, you are right about two things: you are over aware: & the average joe will not even notice, or care!

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Well, the only other thing I would ask is "Is Oregon OK with Open carry or so called flashing?" Some states sponsor Concealed carry and accidental flashing could be construed as "brandishing"; other states recognize both open and concealed carry. My state, Georgia, recognizes both forms of carry so I really don't bother worrying about printing or flashing on occasion. But, when I first started carrying, ~2009, I was self conscious as hell and, like you, constantly worried if anyone would know I was carrying; now I don't even give it a second thought.

Carry on and keep us updated on how things go:thumb:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only been carrying around my property because I'm still waiting for my appointment so I haven't been out and about yet. OR is open carry permissible without a chl except in a couple jurisdictions where it's required by city or county to have a chl to open carry.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I assume by appointment you mean CHL or am I off base here? Carry on, the comfort will come . . . . Most folk do the Wally walk for their first "off the property" experience - well, most CCWs anyway. I have no idea where that got its start but when I first got my GFL I joined this forum, read about it and followed suit with a WW or two myself . . .

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Hey all, I wanted to ask the pros for some advice in something that I'm guessing is just me being I've paranoid about.

I'll start by saying I'm 6'1 and weigh 315 lbs. I'm a big guy; though not extremely overweight, I do have a spare tire. I jus recently bought my full size 24/7 G2 and bought a Blackhawk! IWB holster for everyday concealed carry and it seems most comfortable to wear and draw between 2:30 and 3:00 with a forward cant.

The problem I have is
A. I feel like I'm always printing
and B. I can usually see just the point of the grip pushing against whatever shirt I'm wearing when I turn one way or another but I wonder if I'm just over aware that its there and the average joe would never know.

i realize that the whole point of carrying concealed is not to "hide" it but rather to have it covered to avoid drawing attention to ones self and remain low key. Should I worry about this or is it just me being over aware that its there?
The way I look at it is you need to be conscious of the fact that you are carrying something that is potentially life altering if something really bad happens but at the same time you need to go about your business without thinking too much about it.

Does that make sense?

Where open carry is not allowed (like my beloved Texas) of course you need to be aware of what you're wearing and how well it conceals but I will also agree with others that most folks out there do not have a clue that you are carrying. They are too busy with their own lives to care about what you or I might have on our hips.

One thing I truly believe helped me not be so self aware when I went out carrying for the first time was the fact I carried around my house all day while waiting for my CHL to arrive.

I got used to the feel and weight of the weapon before I ever stepped inside a store. So it just seemed natural when I finally did carry publicly for the first time.

But there is no one right answer for this. We all approach the subject and experience a bit differently.

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
612 Posts
While I am conscious of what I'm carrying when I do carry, I've gotten to the point I don't "worry" about it anymore. I have noticed that ensuring I'm not printing at this point is kind of 2nd nature. I think the only people likely to notice would be me, anyway. If I'm right on the rules, here in Texas the real problem is "intentionally" failing to conceal, then the brandishing comes in. May get a chewing out if LEO sees or notices, but maybe not. I think the worrying is something that goes away the more you carry, actually. You know what's next...CANT! (carry always, never tell) ha ha!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
While you are a big fella (by my standard 5'8" and 145) part of the problem is you picked a large pistol to try and conceal. If you have a holster with a cant then you can try to carry at the 3:30 to 4:00 position, that works pretty well for me when I'm carrying a larger pistol. But one thing since you are waiting for your permit you have time to experiment with different positions. Because I have a bad back I carry my wallet on my hip the only time I was asked about packing was in reference to the pocket I carry my wallet in. And as noted most people just don't have a clue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Open carry is legal in Oregon. I assume you mean you have an appointment at the Washington County sherrif to get printed and whatnot. If you don't have your Oregon CHL yet don't take any chances. As for me I don't worry about printing. I got so many lumps and bumps sticking out good luck figuring out if it's a gun or an extra body part. Don't be self concious. That will atract more attention than a lump under your shirt. If it still bugs you get some pants with big ol pockets and get a smaller gun. And like others have said, carry it and get comfortable with it. Chances are if you are confident others won't even notice.

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
A holster with a good forward cant will eliminate that point of the grip showing. As far as people being observant enough to think you have a firearm, very few are. If no one can tell what it is, then no problem. But know what your own state laws say about the matter.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
A lot of it is being self aware which is not necessarily a bad thing. However if you haven't tried a size larger shirt you might want to try that. I carry more at the 3:30 to 4 position where the butt of the gun is pointing with the curve of my back. This is for me at least the most comfortable position for standing or sitting.

Also do you go tucked or untucked? A tucked shirt will make printing more noticeable especially if it is too tight to begin with.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Most people are in their own little worlds and wont notice anything(unless they carry too)... I might try to get myself a little something smaller to carry if I were you, but to each their own! Good luck!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I carry the little 709, small enough for the pocket, brought a " pad " looks like a pita pocket fits the pocket and gun perfect...no print
We have open or cc here but I don't want anyone to know, it's my business and choice. Like Ice said " each their own"
Am sure you'll figure something out that is comfortable for your needs.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I don't worry about it, Nevada is an open carry state and I have a concealed permit. If I happen to show by accident so be it. I have never showed since I'm very careful BTW.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I meant that I am waiting for my appointment to go in, get printed, and run my background check. Washington county is booked way out and my appointment is not until June 3.

Oregon is open carry but the city of Beaverton as well as Multnomah county require a chl to open carry in their jurisdiction so I'm limited to my carry. Can someone please elaborate on what exactly a Wally walk is?

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Yeah, I meant that I am waiting for my appointment to go in, get printed, and run my background check. Washington county is booked way out and my appointment is not until June 3.

Oregon is open carry but the city of Beaverton as well as Multnomah county require a chl to open carry in their jurisdiction so I'm limited to my carry. Can someone please elaborate on what exactly a Wally walk is?
A Wally Walk is when you get your permit to conceal carry and you go to Wal-Mart and walk around for an hour with your pistol. This is your first carry and all eye's will be upon you, it will subside in time.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I like to remind myself, in 2013 in Georgia, I am probably surrounded by a whole lot of other people carrying concealed at any given time in any given locale; so I'm hardly unique.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
A lot of it is being self aware which is not necessarily a bad thing. However if you haven't tried a size larger shirt you might want to try that. I carry more at the 3:30 to 4 position where the butt of the gun is pointing with the curve of my back. This is for me at least the most comfortable position for standing or sitting.

Also do you go tucked or untucked? A tucked shirt will make printing more noticeable especially if it is too tight to begin with.
Btleslie, you beat me to it! Only got a few ways to go. Larger shirt is probably the easier solution but you could carry a smaller gun. Either solution should work.

You need to feel comfortable with how you are carrying. You need to feel comfortable that you are not printing.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts