Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like carrying off-belt, as I stated in a previous post I'm all belly and no hips so my pants tend to fall down with extra weight ("Cannonball" I believe the fashion designers call it, I shop for menswear in the Danny Devito Collection). I like carrying my piece in my jacket's inner pocket for a crossdraw, but I am looking for something more purpose built like the vest by Blue Stone (Blue Stone , wolverine holsters). I am wondering how many people have experience with either this product or something similar.

Attachments

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
I have a number of different vests that work well.

The only problem is down here there are only about two months of the year it 's cool enough to wear them.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I also have several different concealment vests, including the one you show.

While they look cool, and are comfortable and fun to wear, I can also tell you that among some lawenforcement personnel as well as the better informed miscreants in society, these vests are referred to as "SMF" vests. "SMF" means "Shoot Me First".

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i have never wore one but a good hunting & fishing buddy of mine wears one all the time. he loves it, the only thing he doesn't like is he is tired of everybody asking him how the fishing is.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I like carrying off-belt, as I stated in a previous post I'm all belly and no hips so my pants tend to fall down with extra weight ("Cannonball" I believe the fashion designers call it, I shop for menswear in the Danny Devito Collection). I like carrying my piece in my jacket's inner pocket for a crossdraw, but I am looking for something more purpose built like the vest by Blue Stone (Blue Stone , wolverine holsters). I am wondering how many people have experience with either this product or something similar.
I like this. looking for something like that in leather.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have one of the Boar`s Hide vests from NRA. It looks like a normal vest and works well with jeans and hids my Glock 26 or my Taurus PT140 very well with no printing and you can hold it open and still not see anything.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I also have several different concealment vests, including the one you show.

While they look cool, and are comfortable and fun to wear, I can also tell you that among some lawenforcement personnel as well as the better informed miscreants in society, these vests are referred to as "SMF" vests. "SMF" means "Shoot Me First".
I have a few of these vests, and I can agree with you. Most of the times that I wear one, I make sure items like a camera, note book, pen, etc, can be seen. Not sure but maybe that reduces the SMF factor.

But it probably increases the "geek" factor. :D

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That vest to me is just screaming "HEY EVERYONE I HAVE A GUN!" If that's what you're going for so be it. I however would open carry before I donned a vest like that.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I have a few of these vests, and I can agree with you. Most of the times that I wear one, I make sure items like a camera, note book, pen, etc, can be seen. Not sure but maybe that reduces the SMF factor.

But it probably increases the "geek" factor. :D
Or get you a fishing hat with a bunch of flies stuck in it. :D

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many say the same about fanny packs, but I still wear one. I'm not worried, I'm gonna order one.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a couple of vests, and I will wear a fanny pack. The only one, that I can figure, scream GUN to, are people on gun forums, and, maybe, police officers. Neither of these am I worried about. Of course, being pretty disabled probably helps with the invisibility factor of a concealed weapon, but I'm far beyond worrying about the "geek" factor.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I would agree with the above comment. Your non-gun crowd is more than likely oblivious. I would put gangbangers in that same catagory. People that conceal carry should have many gun carry options so they dont always wear a vest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can tell ya this is the first time I have heard of a concealment vest and if I saw you around town in it I wouldn't immediately think you were carrying. Seems like a great idea if you can pull it off. This would have been handy back when I had my bike...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
That vest to me is just screaming "HEY EVERYONE I HAVE A GUN!" If that's what you're going for so be it. I however would open carry before I donned a vest like that.
I couldn't agree more!

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I would agree with the above comment. Your non-gun crowd is more than likely oblivious. I would put gangbangers in that same catagory. People that conceal carry should have many gun carry options so they dont always wear a vest.
I have been wearing a vest nearly 98% of the time for many years, so people don't even look twice unless I am not wearing one!!!!

Depending upon the style they will cover a shoulder rig or OWB especially a high ride style.

I will amend my comments by saying that the vests I normally wear are western style with two front patch pockets and one inside pocket, rather than the type with Boo-Coo pockets.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So on most gun forums the concensus is if you wear a vest you have a gun, if you wear a fanny pack or a murse your carrying a gun and gay!
Wear what you want, people that dont CC don't pay any attention.

Reactions: kaiged1

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I have a Blue Stone concealment vest, similar to the OP's photo. The high and straight cut neck in the rear gets uncomfortable for me when I carry two pistols due to the weight. This type vest would be better if the rear were scooped so you didn't carry the weight on your neck. Even without any weapons in the vest, it is fairly heavy (has a zillion pockets and lining) and can get uncomfortable. I seldom wear the vest for this reason unless I want to cary multiple handguns such as a couple IWB and a couple in the vest.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So on most gun forums the concensus is if you wear a vest you have a gun, if you wear a fanny pack or a murse your carrying a gun and gay!
Wear what you want, people that dont CC don't pay any attention.
Guess I won't be wearing a "Fanny" pack to hide my guns, I used to wear a vest all year around when I was a teen and I didn't know but people thought I was retarded and to this day I regret wearing the bluejean vest everyday back then. I do have a nice messenger pack that has a single strap and you wear it across your chest its small enough to hold a Full size gun and 2 mags plus has cellphone and water bottle pockets, I wear it when I ride a motorcycle or bicycle.. I am just gonna stick with an OWB holster and an ankle holster when I get a BUG. No sense in making a fashion "Foe-pa" as they say on TV.... Besides I wear baggy but stylish clothing anyway unlike some 6' 285lb guys. (not that I care what people think) ( and not saying any of you don't have style) Also who argues about "fashion" with a guy packing a 45 ACP?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Multiple pocket vests don't really look very good (unless you happen to be mapping rock formations and need lots of pockets to carry your stuff) but if you are looking, buy a western-style vest (which looks more stylish) and bury you pistol in that. Being a prime candidate for a modeling contract with "All Gut No Butt" magazine, vests don't do much for me so I use a good IWB holster or a Belly Band for deep cover. :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts