Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The season for heavy covering garments is just about over here in Michigan. However, I have been thinking about the possibility of carrying my 4" Model 607. If I can find a good holster that will hold it high and tight, I am confident that I could conceal it under a winter coat, and maybe even a lighter jacket on a cool summer night. If summer ever gets here in the first place. :'(

Does anyone here carry a big revolver like this concealed? What kind of Holsters are available for this artillery? I would like to carry it on the hip, and I would prefer leather. So far, this is the one holster I have been able to locate on line: http://www.cowboyneeds.com/570.html
Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
Try Rob at SimplyRugged. I have his pancake holsters for my 3 inch Judge, 444 UltraLite, and my 4 inch Redhawk. They ride high and fit close to the body. Highly recommended and the price is not bad considering they are custom made.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

Although, Dave, the site you posted has some darn good prices also. Looks like quality product from the pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
In the summer I do a shoulder rig under a Hawaiian style shirt works great but keep it buttoned on the bottom or you'll expose yourself. I do this with my M44 4". Another way to go if you have to have a T-shirt is the man purse, that way you can carry a few speed loaders too if need be. I know upper Midwest summers can be hot but the Hawaiian shirts aren't that bad, I've done that rig in the Dakotas in august without overheating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts
i'm about to go with a bersa .380 in my pants pocket for the summer. i hate this. i have a IWB that my 24/7 fits in so well, but it doesn't really conceal well under a t-shirt. it gets over 100 degrees down here in the summer, i can't wear an overshirt.

i'm within 2 inches of just carrying brass knuckles and my winchester folding knife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't noticed that the holster I linked to is made by Triple K. In perusing their site, I note that they offer their Skeleton holster for the 607 and 608. I use that one for my M85. It's pretty cheap, too.

I have to say, though, Simply Rugged looks like the goods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
When I had my last N frame (a 3") I used a Milt Sparks PMK owb holster. I was able to reasonably conceal it but this was during the fall and I was using it for a woods/trail gun. Turns out I liked the holster much more than the gun.

Another holster maker to check on might be CABO. http://caboholster.com/

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
I've often been tempted by one of these:



But I have more compact carry options so I haven't ordered one. From what I've read by people who have them, they work better with 4in+ barrels vs shorter ones.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
Jkwas said:
I've often been tempted by one of these:



But I have more compact carry options so I haven't ordered one. From what I've read by people who have them, they work better with 4in+ barrels vs shorter ones.
I wonder how that would work with my 6.5" Judge with that extended cylinder. HMMMMM! :???: Total length is over 13", so I would have almost 7" above the belt. It seems like an option to carry that big cannon concealed, that I have never thought about. IWB, :rolleyes:
Do you have the source site info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
Robby said:
I wonder how that would work with my 6.5" Judge with that extended cylinder. HMMMMM! :???: Total length is over 13", so I would have almost 7" above the belt. It seems like an option to carry that big cannon concealed, that I have never thought about. IWB, :rolleyes:
Do you have the source site info.
Robby, it wouldn't work given the cylinder length of the Judge. I've tried everything before I found SimplyRugged. Even though it's an OWB it still conceals extremely well.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Robby, it wouldn't work given the cylinder length of the Judge. I've tried everything before I found SimplyRugged. Even though it's an OWB it still conceals extremely well.
Yeah, but don't you have the 3" barrel. I have a paddle or belt holster already, but you would have to have almost a knee length jacket to cover it up. That is why I am glad KY is an open carry state. Until my CCDW comes in, I can carry it open no problem. I have heard on another forum particular to KY, that after you get your CCDW, LE frowns on you doing open carry in many areas. (thank goodness I do not live in one of those areas, but I do visit there).
I did find the site info, but I am not sure if that holster has a covered trigger or not, and could not tell from any of the pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
I use a Tex Shoemaker with my 4 in Rossi 971. It rides high and keeps it tight to my body. I wear a shirt untucked over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Dave85 said:
The season for heavy covering garments is just about over here in Michigan. However, I have been thinking about the possibility of carrying my 4" Model 607. If I can find a good holster that will hold it high and tight, I am confident that I could conceal it under a winter coat, and maybe even a lighter jacket on a cool summer night. If summer ever gets here in the first place. :'(

Does anyone here carry a big revolver like this concealed? What kind of Holsters are available for this artillery? I would like to carry it on the hip, and I would prefer leather. So far, this is the one holster I have been able to locate on line: http://www.cowboyneeds.com/570.html
Any ideas?
Depending on the cant you like, I have always been pleased with the very simple Don Hume JIT slide. The only drawback for some is there is no cant but is does hold the gun high and tight to the body.

BC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Robby said:
I wonder how that would work with my 6.5" Judge with that extended cylinder. HMMMMM! :???: Total length is over 13", so I would have almost 7" above the belt. It seems like an option to carry that big cannon concealed, that I have never thought about. IWB, :rolleyes:
Do you have the source site info.
I'm no gunfighter at all but in a holster like that and beneath a shirt even untucked seems like an awfully large bit of steel to dispense in a scenario where you'll want that gun out as soon as you can get it level and functioning.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
gunfun1002 said:
I'm no gunfighter at all but in a holster like that and beneath a shirt even untucked seems like an awfully large bit of steel to dispense in a scenario where you'll want that gun out as soon as you can get it level and functioning.
The more I think about it! If I went with that for a large gun, it would have to be cross draw to work for me. But for the JUDGE, I think it would be too top heavy to maintain without a retaining strap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Try Rob at SimplyRugged. I have his pancake holsters for my 3 inch Judge, 444 UltraLite, and my 4 inch Redhawk. They ride high and fit close to the body. Highly recommended and the price is not bad considering they are custom made.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

Although, Dave, the site you posted has some darn good prices also. Looks like quality product from the pics.
I'll second that recommendation as I just recieved my pancake holster for my Taurus 44 w/4" Barrel last Saturday from Simply Rugged Holsters in the mail. It's one of their OWB Pancake Holsters with the IWB option added. I was really suprised how comfortable the holster is and how easily it concealed such a large weapon in the IWB configuration.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top