Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having done my share of reading in this section, I am surprised that so little discussion about how to carry extra mag/mags has occurred.

How do you carry your extra mag/mags?

Living in Phoenix and due to my job I can’t carry my spare mag in my pocket because of the moisture from sweating. I am in and out of my car all day long and the A/C doesn't really have time to cool off in between stops when it is 110 plus!
With mags running $30+ for my PT111 Pro, I need to make sure that I keep them in good shape ... i.e. rust free. I have ruined more then a couple pocket knives over the years due to rusting in my pocket. Also, being having a limited budget keeps my options limited too. I think that $45 is ridiculous for IWB mag carriers/pouches... there has to be a better solution.
Any ideas?

BTW
I should get my Bianchi 100 Professional IWB holster in the mail today. Hope the body shield does what it is supposed to. I will let you all know after I get some wear time in.
Taurus PT111 Pro SS

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Here is a simple solution!! Cheap too!! Go to Sears, Home Depot, Lowes or any other store that sells tools. Usually they will have the clip on multi tool pouches, some big enough to hold more than one mag.
I use a Craftsman, one for my PT111 mag. It holds a 17 rd 9mm 24/7 mag and not one person would notice it having anything to do with guns. It is off the body a bit, so should help the sweat soaking quite a bit.
My pocket carry knife is Stainless, my other main knife has not rusted but I am not out sweating in 100 plus weather either.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
+1 for Robby they work great and don't attract any attention.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use a $9.00 horizontal cell phone holster from Wal-mart. I chose the horizontal one because it looks more like a cell phone, no one would guess you're carrying a mag in a cell holster, it's concealment with-in concealment. If you're not going to go with a horizontal cell holster I'd just go with what robby said and get a knife or tool holster. Getting a tool holster with a design or tool manufacturers name also helps conceal the fact you're carrying a mag, people think "oh, he's just carrying tool/ pliers. Just hope no one asks to use your multiplier.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I don't usually carry a spare mag, as 1 in the chamber and 15 in the mag are plenty. I do however at times if camping out for the weekend or something where I might perhaps shoot off a few rounds, carry a spare mag in a shrade knife case. It fits perfectly and when put in upside down, you can't tell what it is...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have discovered a company, Western Case Company, which makes holders / carriers for cell phones and other small electronics. They are made from tough water resistant nylon, with velcro closers and very sturdy steel belt clips. I have several, including their model #1 which I use for carrying semi-auto pistol magazines (one double stack, two single stack 1911 mags) and their #6, which is great for carrying a single HKS speed loader. Depending on the revolver I choose to carry for that particular day, it will take a 5 shot and a 7 shot speed loader. The #71, digital camera case will accomodate two Bianchi speed strips with ease. The #71 is also great for carrying a small derringer, or of course a digital camera.

The company is well aware of the duel use of their products, and their sales table is a common sight at area gun shows and outdoor product shows. When I've ordered cases online, they are usually in my mailbox within 2-3 days. Honest, I don't work for them or have any business interest in the company. :angel: I'm simply a very satisfied customer. They are gun friendly, located in California and Oregon, and deserve our support.

Check out their web page; http://www.westerncasecompany.com/index.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.... I got lucky and snagged a Don Hume mag holder on EBay for all of $6 including postage.... I guess even old fat men get lucky once in a while!
Speaking of fat... I got my Bianchi 100 Professional holster in last week and I am sorry to say that I have a few too many rolls in the wrong places... no matter where I put the gun and holster from 2:30- 4:30 I get some extremly tender spots from the end of the barrel on my PT-111 Pro. The holster fits the gun perfectly, just doesn't fit me! Dang shame too, it is a really nice holster!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I agree with Robby, but I use a Leatherman case. When I carry a revolver I use a cell phone case.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
can you guys start posting pictures? i like the ideas but wanna see exactly what we're talking about.. especially robby of the craftmen tool case.

i bought a fobus double mag pouch a while back.. those things suck not much tension on the mags and they have no flaps or anything so the mag base plates cut into my side.. i wore it all of 20 mins before saying *%$#@)[email protected] with it.
so im open to ideas for 1 or 2 mags, bonus points if i can get it horizontal to go length wise with the belt.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I improvised an old heavy, snap-top Gerber knife pouch. It holds one mag tightly and conceals very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts