Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was thinking about what might happen in the event i would ever have to engage a shooter and thinking about my safety should LE show up when my focus was on the shooter and not them.

So my idea is to first get a pocket added to the back area of my belly wrap holster. And then order something like this:

https://www.tasco-safety.com/produc...range-safety-vests-w-contrasting-stripes.html

Then have these words printed on the back of the vest.

DO NOT SHOOT - GOOD GUY - CCW HOLDER - I AM ENGAGING THE SHOOTER

Then i would fold that vest up and keep it in the new pocket of my belly wrap.

If i ever had to engage a shooter i could quickly pop out the vest with one hand and slip it over my head without too much effort. And then engage the shooter.

Then if LE shows up at least they might know that im the good guy, it might save my life.

However, alot of the companies i checked for vests dont have my size 52 chest and 52 waist, and those that do only allow 20 char max for custom letters. I cant imagine that i am the only one to ever think of this. I thought maybe the NRA might have a resource for me but i thought i would check here first.

Is there anything on the market that is already created just for this purpose without having to shop all over the place?

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the first time, I have decided deploy the ignore feature. :facepalm:
I am remembering the days of "if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything" but i guess those days are gone or maybe AZ passed a law abolishing that rule :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but that vest is about as useless as an ejection seat for helicopters.
Somehow, in an active shooter situation, I don't see a LEO reading a vest to see who is the bad guy and who isn't. I see a LEO disarming all involved, then getting the facts about the situation from all the eye witnesses.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I am wrong, but that vest is about as useless as an ejection seat for helicopters.
Somehow, in an active shooter situation, I don't see a LEO reading a vest to see who is the bad guy and who isn't. I see a LEO disarming all involved, then getting the facts about the situation from all the eye witnesses.
Yes in a perfect world i totally agree, but who knows how it will go down. LE gets stressed out too, many times in a stressful situation even they dont go by the numbers to assess the situation and check out the environment first.

All i am saying is that a bullet costs what about .50 each and one of them can kill me. I just think its smart to increase my odds of survival by spending $20 on a vest that "MIGHT" save my life.

Besides how many times do we see officers wearing same color vests, mine wont have the badge on it but it "MIGHT" give them pause to check me out first instead of shooting first.

·
Registered
17,403 Posts
I am watching all the bad guys out there having their brand new shiny safety vests
printed up with that message on the back. A few of them even decorated them with
stencils of flowers and unicorns.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i agree that is my first option but how many of us would leave if the shooter is within our field of view and we know we can stop him, or if i am in a place where i cant leave. I am not saying this is fool proof, im not even saying that there wont be shooters that copy this idea which is why i hessitated about bringing it up. If LE arrives and i see them i will lay my weapon down and do as they ask and surrender without issue.

But what if i dont see them, they arrive on my blind side behind me and all they see is some guy shooting. I need to let them know somehow what i am doing and that they should at least give me the opportunity "even a slight one" to be sure i am actually the dangerous one. A split second decision could mean the dif between me living or dying while im trying to save others. All i want to do is just move the needle just a hair in my favor so that maybe that split second might allow for another option or decision.

Once the bullet leaves the weapon the decision has been made. Even if all of a sudden someone joins them and says wait - read the vest, lets get his attention and make sure he sees us first. But if the bullet is already fired then it dont matter anymore. I dont want to be a statistic on the pages of "oops sorry about that".

I am not trying to change correct proceedure, i am only trying to make an effort to take a stressfull situation and provide information as to my intentions and activity.

I hope that makes sense, i mean everyone else seems to have vests for one thing or another, i guess im not understanding why this is so far out their because the intention is a good one.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Making yourself more visible may not be a bad idea. However, taking the time to make yourself more visible before stopping the threat could get you killed, defeating the purpose of the vest. That said, having a high visibility vest that you carry daily could come in use in different situations. Perhaps something very simple printed on the back would be more effective than a wordy phrase. Maybe simply CWL in large letters.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Yes in a perfect world i totally agree, but who knows how it will go down. LE gets stressed out too, many times in a stressful situation even they dont go by the numbers to assess the situation and check out the environment first.

All i am saying is that a bullet costs what about .50 each and one of them can kill me. I just think its smart to increase my odds of survival by spending $20 on a vest that "MIGHT" save my life.

Besides how many times do we see officers wearing same color vests, mine wont have the badge on it but it "MIGHT" give them pause to check me out first instead of shooting first.
I get where you're going and all I can say is go for it. Who knows? One thing officers are taught is to disarm everyone and sort out later. Until they're determined you're friendly, you are considered threat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get where you're going and all I can say is go for it. Who knows? One thing officers are taught is to disarm everyone and sort out later. Until they're determined you're friendly, you are considered threat.
Just keep your permit in your wallet. Stop shooting when LEOs arrive... They don't come in guns a-blazing.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
You're over-thinking it.

If I was really worried about this scenario I'd rather get a realistic badge and impersonate an LEO. You won't get shot and you can deal with the "impersonating an officer" charge later. They won't do a whole lot to you. Your weren't impersonating to commit a crime. But it won't make you many firends.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, i still need to find a place that has my size 52x52 (chest, waist) and allows custom lettering, though i will certainly abbreviate the text. Alot of the companies if your over 35" you have to special order and they charge a huge set up fee. Sounds alot like walmart i can never find anything in that store to fit me, its all for skinny teens lol

Oh here is one better, there is a badge for CW carry so to them they see a badge and wont shoot me, then they will see its CW badge, and thats not illegal :)

https://www.ebay.com/i/122842749181?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Here we go, exactly what i was talking about....

And - A - Googlen - I - Go :)

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it would be a good thing if i reached out to ted nugent and the NRA to ask how they feel about the badges and the vest just to get some dif points of view.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I am remembering the days of "if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything" but i guess those days are gone or maybe AZ passed a law abolishing that rule :)
I remember those days too, and they are still in effect in my household.
And that's all I have to say about THAT (the vest idea).

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Then you may have learned also the way you can tell a fool is when they speak? I wasn't trying to be unkind to you, simply stating how I need not try to fix what clearly cannot be fixed with you. I bet you know that saying to right? You know about .......
"there's no fixing _ _ _ _ _ _ !"

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Uhhh, no.

Best if I leave it at that.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i have not posted for along time and decided to try to be involved here again. Well in one post you insulted me multiple times... Thanks for reminding me why i left this forum awhile back... For the record i was not against the advice given, i was only looking for the good and the bad. The bottom line is, if i feel it can save my life, i really dont care how anyone feels about it. I was hoping for a respectfull conversation but too bad it seems personal attacks is all i got.

I wont be back.... bye

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.