Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a point for you to ponder. When I took my CHL class, the instructor gave information that was just WRONG. We have a law in Texas that states that if a sign is posted as noted in law 30.06, that it is illegal to enter that store with a concealed handgun...PERIOD. He told us that regardless of the sign you can still carry until the actual owner comes up to you and tells you to leave. I called DPS and they verified that he was wrong.

My point here, don't take your instructor's words for it. Read all of the laws yourself and make sure you are familiar with them. Some points to consider:

1) Where can you legally carry?
2) What can you carry?
3) How many can you carry?
4) Do you have to make an attempt to flee first before shooting?
5) If you kill an innocent bystander, what are the implications?
6) Can you drink alcohol while carrying? If so, what is the legal limit?
7) If you carry in your car, can you carry on the seat where others can see, or on the dash, or does it have to be stowed and concealed in the car.
8] If you are stopped by a LEO, do you have to immediately notify the officer that you are carrying?
9) When does you license expire and what is the renewal process?
10) Who can you tell?
11) How can you store your gun at home, if kids are present?
12) Does having a CHL make you more likely to be sued by the family of an attacker?
13) Can you be sued?
14) Do you have a backup plan and if so, is it legal (knife carry, etc.).

I would recommend that you read through this list and check off the ones you know. If you do not know the answer to one or more, take out your CHL License manual, and read up on it. Do you need an interpretation of the law? Call your local DPS.

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Great points across the board.

I would seriously think about sending my instructor a letter concerning the wrong info from class. Some states are like he described but he should know his own state regs.

Steelheart

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm not sure how Texas is but in Mich. the legal end of the course has to be taught by a qualified LEO or a Lawyer, not to say that either one of them couldn't get somethings wrong but I think it gives you a better chance. There were 16 people in my original class 2001 and only 3 of us were taking any kind of notes, plus I frequent packing.org and handgunlawsus.com at least 2 times a week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Every state is different...each has different laws. Here in WA state you do not even need an instructor...or course or other tagged on junk to carry concealed. Of course, one is required to be able to read and abide by the laws...this is how it should be methinks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fellow washingtonian here and I was also surprised at how difficult it is for people in other states to get their permits. At least the cops around here are nice enough to answer any questions we might have.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The cops might not know all the laws either. I've had cops give me bad advice before (which I knew to be wrong. Didn't follow it and I didn't feel like making a stink right then. Wish that I could remember when/what that was. I'd say that I was getting old but some of the moderation staff here worked on the initial hill building project for their first job. I think those hills later became the shores of some of the Great Lakes.

Steelheart

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another Washingtonian here. Just got back from a trip to Oregon. Had to unload my carry weapon and stow the weapon seperately from the ammo to cross the border. Having lived there for 30+ years, I know Oregon isn't safer than Washington. Understand there is a nationwide reciprocity bill before Congress. All of us with concealed carry permits should be contacting our representatives to support this common sense legislation.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
400 Posts
Every state is different...each has different laws. Here in WA state you do not even need an instructor...or course or other tagged on junk to carry concealed. Of course, one is required to be able to read and abide by the laws...this is how it should be methinks.
I too am in Wa. state and I was even able to renew online. But YES, know your state's laws.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'm in PA- no course, no instructor. Apply, pay the fee, receive the CHL.
Truthfully, few know the laws no matter if its LEO or civilians. The laws are too difficult and convoluted for most to get a good knowledge of. I think most LEO dont know them until they have to determine what is needed to be enforced.
I have researched some, but it is barely enough to be dangerous! I do know of an attorney in PA who is looking to see who can be a test case for the school zone law. It won't be me that's for sure!

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
Knowing the laws can be pretty advantageous in keeping one out of trouble. I’m planning a trip to Indiana from Texas, and did some reading on Handgunlaw.us last night just to familiarize myself with the other states laws I’ll pass thru. I’ve made the trip before, but in a couple of years, laws change. Best to be aware of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts