Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a car is stopped, say in Ohio where notifying the officer you are carrying is required does it apply to everyone in the car or just the driver? Does an officer disarm the driver before going any further & how would that work out with six armed individuals, would the officer call backup? Maybe this is a silly question.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The answer to your questions can all be handled with a one word answer. Yes.

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
And you must notify within a reasonable amount of time. The law in OH does not state what that time limit is, but I will notify before the LEO says anything to me.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Great question! I had wondered about that too.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
If it's an "official" encounter, anyone involved in that encounter needs to notify.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I would add that you need to check your state/local laws, and any info here in does not constitute legal advice, just opinion. That said, I would always try to act within the law, and in a way that lends itself to my personal survival. Here in TX, a CHLer has a 'duty to notify', but there is no legal penalty for failure. On the street though, that could turn into a bad situation. Most LEOs seem to recognize that as a CHL/CWP holder, you are not a 'bad guy'.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
One, you MUST know the state and local laws where you will have you weapon with you. That is a responsibility you took on as a CCW carrier.
Two, consider it common courtesy to let the LEO know. I don't where I live and I have notified. I have my license, permit, and insurance ready before the LEO came to my window with both hands on the wheel. No surprises, no problems.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
In North Carolina, the first words out of your mouth if you are carrying and you are pulled over
or you encounter a road block are " I am a concealed carry permit holder and I am carrying a
gun". Then you must tell the policeman where the firearm is located. I have had to say these
words before at a couple of police checkpoints and everything went smoothly. One officer asked
me what I was carrying and I told him a Taurus 851 .38 snubnose revolver. He said "Good choice"
handed me my identification and sent me on my way.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Here in Kentucky you simply stay in your car, hands in plain sight and tell the officer when he approaches the vehicle. I also ask him how he want to proceed at that point. The two times I've been pulled over they didn't ask for more than my driver's license, proof of insurance and CCDW license. Neither asked anything about the gun or its location. I would assume that would apply to all with you in the vehicle also. Kentucky LEO have it on record as soon as they run your tag or DL as it comes up as having a CCDW license. I know this for fact as my son was pulled over driving my car and he doesn't have a CCDW but was asked if he had a gun which he responded no too. No problem just a routine traffic check due to a tail light being out. I suggest you wait for the officer to approch and not holler out the window that you have a CCDW or a gun as you might get a Barney Fife move in that case.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
A little advice never say gun just say you are have a ccw permit and are now in possession. If a rookie hears gun and is on your six he may go apesh$t Just a friendly reminder. In TN you don't have to say you are carrying but its wise to do so. In Ohio Its dangerous not to say as fast as you can. There has been some ugly times where a guy has not said he was carrying right away. But I believe the cop was dealt with as he was way out of control. This could have happened in another state but it can and does happen.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes, If you state requires it. I would simply notifiy the LEO that you and you party are current CCW/CHL holders or how ever your state recognizes it. In my opinion it's not the best Idea to tell the LEO that your a CCW/CHL and you have guns in the car? The mention of Guns, Weapons, and Firearms are action words, and People tend to get jumpy when mentioned. Just by letting the LEO that you are a current holder allows both parties to stay calm. Also just saying that you are a permit holder tells the LEO that the possiblity of guns or weapons are within reach. He (LEO) would then continue to ask if you (the driver) if weapons in the car and you can proceed per his/or her instructions.

Sorry got off the topic.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would add that you need to check your state/local laws, and any info here in does not constitute legal advice, just opinion. That said, I would always try to act within the law, and in a way that lends itself to my personal survival. Here in TX, a CHLer has a 'duty to notify', but there is no legal penalty for failure. On the street though, that could turn into a bad situation. Most LEOs seem to recognize that as a CHL/CWP holder, you are not a 'bad guy'.
The law here in TX has indeed changed and there is no penalty for NOT telling the office if you are in a traffic stop. The reason is that your name comes up when they run wants/warrants anyway. I was recently stopped in San Antonio and didn't tell the officer I was a CHL holder (just forgot). He ran me and came back to my vehicle and asked if I was a CHL holder and was carrying. I said yes and apologized for not mentioning it and he asked me what I was carrying; I told him a 1911 and BUG 9mm... I asked him if he wanted to see them and he was sort of taken aback and said, no no no, don't pull one out. It was actually kind of funny except I got a ticket and am now on deferred adjudication. Unsafe lane change... $168. That is another story.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
... Unsafe lane change... $168. That is another story.
Did you use the wrong finger to signal?? :D

Kinda makes we wonder if he would have just given you a 'warning' if you had 'notified'. Knock-wood, I've not had a LEO encounter since CHL, but in all the accounts I've read here and else where, they seem a little more 'forgiving', for lack of a better word.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Always better to say you have a CCW and cover your butt. After all it's not illegal.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did you use the wrong finger to signal?? :D

Kinda makes we wonder if he would have just given you a 'warning' if you had 'notified'. Knock-wood, I've not had a LEO encounter since CHL, but in all the accounts I've read here and else where, they seem a little more 'forgiving', for lack of a better word.
Well, if you must have the story, I was driving my old 1995 F150 out to Kerrville to buy a used John Deere LA120 garden tractor I had found on Craigslist. I drove along 1604 to take IH10 north as I had to stop at the credit union in town to get cash. I got off 1604 and some kid talking on a cell phone merged into traffic very close in front of me and I swung out one more lane (it is 3 or 4 lanes in this part of the road). Unfortunately, there was a San Antonio cop in the lane and I just didn't see him. He said I almost hit him but I am pretty sure that might have been a bit of an exaggeration. Anyway, I was in the wrong and embarrassed and just forgot to tell him I had a CHL. I had not received a ticket in MANY years, pled guilty via the Internet and paid my fine and received deferred adjudication; in other words, if I don't get another ticket by a San Antonio LEO in the next 6 months or year (can't recall), I will not have the ticket reported. The guy who started the chain of events; the kid with the cell phone stuck in his brain never even knew he instigated the situation. He was distracted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In SC you are required to show your CWP and state that you are carrying WHEN ASKED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF. Normally, in the case of a vehicle stop, only the driver is asked for id; therefore, only the driver need declare that they are a CWP holder and are carrying. My wife and I have been stopped twice at State Patrol roadblocks. Although we were both carrying, only i was asked for id so only I notified the officer.

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
In Michigan 285.425f.3 reads " An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle." So, by my reading, only the driver would be required to disclose. I think it wise to disclose in any interaction with a police officer.
I can think of no reason to not disclose.

This is going to vary by state. I do not know Ohio's law.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
.. The guy who started the chain of events; the kid with the cell phone stuck in his brain never even knew he instigated the situation. He was distracted.
Sorry to hear, but at least I would call that a 'good shoot'...

If I were on your jury. :D

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,108 Posts
Personally I notify on contact, Leo will find out anyway it's connected to our D.L., no reason for him to wonder what else I'm trying to hide. Both hands on the wheel, and ask how he would like to proceed. Any action that would cause my hands to move from the wheel are verbalized, then I ask permission before moving. It is all about officer safety, you know who your dealing with, he does not.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
In SC you are required to show your CWP and state that you are carrying WHEN ASKED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF. Normally, in the case of a vehicle stop, only the driver is asked for id; therefore, only the driver need declare that they are a CWP holder and are carrying. My wife and I have been stopped twice at State Patrol roadblocks. Although we were both carrying, only i was asked for id so only I notified the officer.
Instructor at CWP class told us you don't have to say anything unless asked, just give the LEO you DL and CWP and wait for the LEO to ask.
But since you HAVE to have the CWP if you have your weapon with you, he will probably ask.
If you don't have your weapon on you, you don't need to show the CWP.

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts