Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had an incident a couple days ago near us where a domestic violence situation at a local school lead my wife to holster up while i was at work. She likes the heft and feel of the full size Taurus 24/7 Pro LS we ahve, but felt it is not a great concealed carry gun. Anyone have suggestions on a good slim 9mm that would be easy to concealed carry?

I'd like to stick with 9mm as that is what the full size taurus is chambered for and I have kids at home so I think she'd feel more cormfortable with something that has an external safetly, though i don't know if no safety would be a deal breaker for her or not. Suggestions and ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Lots of stuff out there that fits your needs. Take your wife to a range that rents handguns and have her try as many as possible to see what SHE likes. Doing the same thing at gunshops would be your next best bet if rental isn't available.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
The 709 is good for CCW, but some ladies have trouble with racking slide. Next step up (staying w/Taurus) is the PT111MilPro G1 or Mil G2 slightly easier to jack slide. Not familiar with the PT24/7C G1 or G2 as it relates to slide - my PT24/7 ProDS is easier than cutting thru buiter with a hot knife, but not much of a CCW for me.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I like the 709 for concel carry and if you want to stay with 9MM, that is a good option. The pistol has the external safety, adjustable sights, and the racking of the slide is easier that the TCP - also another good carry option. The TCP is chambered in .380 and doesn't fit the bill for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
PT111MilPro G1 or Mil G2, ruger LCP is a good "get off me" gun for close range despite being 380.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I agree with Laker, let her try a few out, either at range or gunshop.. I will throw out there that I love my 809C!

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
well a lot would depend on how experienced she is with a firearm and how much she intends to practice?
Right up front my first chioice for a carry gun fro my wife would be a revolver chambered in 327 magnum, also can shoot 32 H & R, or 32 S & W long, or 32 S & W, while none are cheap per say the choices of power levels can be fit to her comfort, its small ,light and ALMOST foolproof, most all also carry 6 rounds.
second choice would be a 38 snubby.
as for the small 9MM, well te tauurs 709, Springfield just introduced the new single stack 9MM thats a sweety, Sig sauer 938, Beretta Nano (no exterior safety), Karh makes a small 9 mm in a couple of models, Ruger still makes the compact 9 MM as well.
While I own a TCP 738 I really am not one to suggest that weapon for a newbie due to few factors, first its difficult to master usually, it can be short stroked on the trigger and not have any trigger pull, its very hard to clear a jam, and also takes a bit of practice to reload to a new magazine.
now these are important considerations in the heat of conflict and with a new shooter, I would lean more to the bersa thunder 380 for coneal carry in the 380 with an inexperienced shooter myself.
Plus its whole lot more fun to shoot in practice than the 738, ruger LCP, kel-tec, etc.
which brings use back to the revolver !
if it don't go bang, pull trigger again, repeat until it goes click, click,click and stop!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
You might take a look at the Kahr CM9 or CW9. They don't have an external safety and instead are DAO. Personally I like the no-safety DAO since there's no safety to get in the way when the heat is on, and DAO tends to be inherently safe. Kahr has seven different patents on these pistols and the patented parts do two things - first they get the barrel as low in the pistol as possible, and that gives you more of a straight-back push and reduced felt recoil. That makes the Kahr's some of the softest recoiling 'pocket 9's' you're going to find.

Then there's the trigger itself - there's nothing else like it. When a round is chambered the sear moves back to kind of a half-cock position. When you pull the trigger it fully cocks the striker and then releases it. Because of they way the sear works you in effect get increasingly improved leverage as the spring is fully loaded. The end result is a DAO trigger that doesn't stack, and pull force remains constant all the way back to the break. On a short barreled pistol with a short sight radius the trigger becomes even more important to accuracy than is normally the case, and the Kahr trigger does not disappoint.

The pistols themselves are right at 1" thick - maybe a shade less - which makes for easy concealment. The CM9 has a 3" barrel and 6+1 capacity, while the CW9 has a 3.5" barrel and 7+1 capacity. The CM9 weighs in at 14 oz's empty, and the CW9 at 15.8 oz's, so they're both very light. They're both great carry pistols. I have the CM9, and it rides with me OFTEN. The price won't kill you either - both can be found for around $400, and they're worth every penny.

And even with the short little barrel, the diminutive little CM9 is still plenty accurate. I plink tin cans with mine at 25 yards all the time, and it can hold it's own. This isn't the best shooting I ever did, but it will give you an idea of what the little Kahr will do...

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Taurus, Ruger, Kahr all make "pocket 9s". I have personally owned two of the Kahr CM9s and can attest to their reliability which is very important.

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
Lots of stuff out there that fits your needs. Take your wife to a range that rents handguns and have her try as many as possible to see what SHE likes. Doing the same thing at gunshops would be your next best bet if rental isn't available.
I agree with this. My wife shoots everything we have and enjoys it so much it scares me.
For concealment she narrowed the field down to two that have no similarities whatsoever.
One is small .357 revolver and one is a 9mm pistol. She likes them equally and shoots both very well.
I didn't guide her one bit and let her decide so now she has the confidence that she chose what she likes and can handle comfortably.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I really would not put too much stock in "high-power" rounds like 357m or 357s or 40sw. They are powerful no doubt, but in the real world they do not perform dramatically better than 9mm.
In 9mm, I think the 809C is a far better shooter than the Mil Pro or 24/7C. If you want something little smaller, look at the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact.Thats the smallest 9mm made that has all the bells and whistles in a metal frame. If you insist on 40 or 45 that have one in UC.
Also Taurus has some awesome 'older' guns that can still be had- the 909, 911, 940, 945. But they are alloy, not poly frame like the 700's and 800's.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would disagree that a .357 will not be more powerful a choice as I own and routinely carry both. I run Hornaday personal protection HP in both and my .357 certainly has more knockdown power. Granted my 9mm is a compact 24/7 pro c and my .357 is a 8 shot 6.5 inch NON compact (a fact I can certainly feel when cc it) but it is without a doubt packing more punch than my 9mm. The 9 has the benefit of 17 rounds vs 8 but if you need 17 rounds well a handgun shouldn't be what you are packing that's why we have high cap rifles. In my case AK47.....
Clearly the 9mm compact is an easier weapon to conceal and more comfortable to carry for extended periods due to lighter weight and increased capacity should offset lack of punch. I will agree that many have had negative experiences with the .357 poly and I found a review elsewhere that a customer was allegedly told that that the .357 poly was built from weaker .38spc parts and they had experienced some problems with the higher power round and were retrofitting parts on an "as needed" basis. If this is true than it certainly would make me nervous to carry that piece as a primary carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I bought the 24/7 pro ls because of the extra safety features and the fact it does haev little felt recoil. The long barrel and slide help with that, but basically make it somethign she feels is unconealable due to its size. I myself carry it in a shoulder holster and have no issues, but she felt it stuck out like a sore thumb. She likes shooting it a lot and has had some experience with the Ruger 9mm, but didn't like it due to the recoil. (3.5 versus 5.25 inch barrel makes all the difference though). I thought about a revolver but she has only ever shot automatics so I will probably stay with one of those. I'll definetly look at the Kahr's, unfortunately i don't know of any shops near by that rent so i will need to look into that too, thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: I forgot to add, the reason we initally got the large frame is because she wanted a gun she could get her hand on the whole grip of. Makes somethign like teh utltra small pocket pistols seem too small i think. I dunno what exactly she wants, just musing and looking at ideas of what to try in her hand more than anything.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
"Right up front my first chioice for a carry gun fro my wife would be a revolver chambered in 327 magnum, also can shoot 32 H & R, or 32 S & W long, or 32 S & W, while none are cheap per say the choices of power levels can be fit to her comfort, its small ,light and ALMOST foolproof, most all also carry 6 rounds."---olfarhors

I would....and she does ! [But I load the rounds]

You say the gun feels small to her if it's a compact.....[yep, me too]
and she prefers the feel of the full grip.
It's hard to fit all of it together in a semi-auto. Large enough grip,
concealable size and weight, low recoil, caliber, etc.
That's why I prefer revolvers, ESPECIALLY a J-frame size in .327FedMag.

A Ruger SR9 would be medium......concealable,grip,weight,recoil, etc.
A Bersa Thunder .380 is an excellent choice....overall...for anyone.
A Bersa 9 Compact would also most likely work.
Go let her hold a bunch.

Only she knows what she likes.

The Model 111 Taurus has a nice size grip and an extended
mag for your pinky.
Maybe a Glock 19

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
The vast majority of the ladies in my family prefer one of my all time favorites, the 9 mm PT-111.:thumb:

It's 100% reliable, accurate, slim (1.2"), light weight (18 ozs.) and carries a respectable load, 12+1 rounds, in a compact package (3.5" barrel).
:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
.............................................. I dunno what exactly she wants, just musing and looking at ideas of what to try in her hand more than anything.
I admire your honesty!! LOL

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
I dunno what exactly she wants, just musing and looking at ideas of what to try in her hand more than anything.
Sorry, I had to chuckle a bit at this statement too. Sounds like a good move.
I just let my wife shoot any of what we have, try a few at the LGS, and stood back and watched.
After 40 years of marriage I have learned there are times to let her decide for herself.
Especially when she has a gun in her hands.:wave:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i see no down side to this as it means i get to buy another gun with her blessing lol. I'm leaning towards a taurus as i really like the 24/7 and that they back their guns with a lifetime warranty. Father in law has a couple rugers she's shot, think one is an sr9 but dunno for sure... took that and the taurus to gander and both my wife and sister in law enjoyed the taurus more hands down. they'd have put more rounds through it that day but i only had 2 10 roudners for it at the time and they fired them off as fast as i could reload. I have been thinking about a revolver, but i think she'll say they are too wide for her to like concealing but i definelty will look at them. next gun show or trip to gander we'll take a look too. I had originally looked at getting a sig 2 sum or a smaller pistol, but she didn't like the feel of not being able to get her whole hand around the grip. Not sure if that will be an issue with a pt 111 but i'll probably see about one of those as well. thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Your wife's hand and your checkbook will ultimately decide what's best for her. The little pocket guns look great in theory but if it feels like a wet bar of soap in your hand, there won't be a second shot. The smallest I carry is a Beretta 950 BS in 25 ACP with a grip extension. Sig Sauer's P238 or 938 are great guns with the extended magazine. I just have trouble holding something other than a coffee mug with only two fingers. A little bigger and often mentioned is the Bersa Thunder 380 with a platinum reputation for dependability. Taurus PT111 is a great choice in 9mm. Another slightly larger carry pistol that handles well is the Walther PK380.
Best of luck finding the perfect gun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts