Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will check handgunlaw.us but I'm asking here just in hopes of not having to read all the laws of every state!

In your state, if you have carry permit, do you still go through the background check to purchase a pistol/firearm? For instance here in Fl. we still get ran through the background check even though we have a carry permit.

Do all states require a background check to purchase a pistol/firearm?

One more. you pay the $5 fee for the background check right?

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
In Texas yes . Of course it usually takes less than a few minutes , gives you time to look at other guns while waiting .
I thought one of the benefits of a Texas CCP was no background check required... Could be wrong...

At least the Florida CWP eliminates the 3 day wait.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
In my state of residence a prerequisite to obtaining a CCW Permit is passing a background check, but background checks go through very quickly, so it's really not a big deal.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my state of residence a prerequisite to obtaining a CCW Permit is passing a background check, but background checks go through very quickly, so it's really not a big deal.
That doesn't really address the question. In Fl. I have to go through a background check to acquire a carry permit too. And it's no big deal. The question is, once a person has a carry permit, in their respective state, do they still have to go through the background check each time they purchase a pistol/firearm?

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I'll be going through a background check tomorrow morning! Yippee!

·
Registered
323 Posts
In Alabama it is up to the business owner. Some still do the BG check on everyone. No charge BTW; at least I've never been asked to pay.

However, I bought a Shockwave on Black Friday and a PT1911 a couple weeks ago from the same business. They ran a BG check on me both times because my CCP does not have an issue date on it, only an expiration date. Apparently that's a new regulation.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
That doesn't really address the question. In Fl. I have to go through a background check to acquire a carry permit too. And it's no big deal. The question is, once a person has a carry permit, in their respective state, do they still have to go through the background check each time they purchase a pistol/firearm?
I'm sorry, my post was meant to address that question but it seems I worded it poorly. That being said, yes, in my state of residence background checks are required when renewing a CCW Permit.

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
Well, in Texas if you have a carry permit, there is no background check required. For those that don't have a LTC, there is no charge for the background that I am aware of. The background check is federal, and required in all states.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
In Ohio, it is the Sheriff's office that issues the CHL. You get your fingerprints digitally taken and NICS is done right there.

Maloy

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Ohio, it is the Sheriff's office that issues the CHL. You get your fingerprints digitally taken and NICS is done right there.

Maloy
Once you have the permit do you still go through a background check on each gun purchase?

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
In Florida, all your CWP gets you is the right to walk out with your newly purchased handgun without a 3 day waiting period. (There is no waiting period for long guns whether or not you have a CWP.)

There is a background check required which is administered by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. FDLE charges the selling dealer for this check- I do not know how much- but normally I pay $10. in addition to the cost of the weapon and the State Sales Tax. On rare occasions I have had the selling dealer eat the cost, but I'm pretty sure it was in the transaction somewhere...

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
In NC having a CHL means that you do not require a separate background check or a Pistol Purchase Permit to buy a firearm

·
Registered
63 Posts
In Illinois even with a CCL you are still required to do a background check every time you purchase a firearm. You also still have to do your mandatory wait times before you take possession of the firearm.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In Ohio it depends upon when you received your CHL. A NICS check is not necessary if your CHL was issued on or after March 23, 2015. This was brought about because of a change in Ohio law.

I have never paid for a NICS check.

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
In Illinois even with a CCL you are still required to do a background check every time you purchase a firearm. You also still have to do your mandatory wait times before you take possession of the firearm.
Is FOID still required in Illinois, even for one with a concealed carry permit? Seems redundant if it is.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I am currently living Florida, with a Florida issued CCL/CPL or whatever. It elimnates the waiting period but not the Federal requirement for the background check. I had the same thing in Michigan with my Michigan issued CPL, No waiting period, but still had to do the background check at the time of purchase. It cost me $5 in both states, and only took minutes.
Did a little research.....

http://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

Reactions: slong115 and darbo
1 - 20 of 53 Posts