Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe in order to cc my new RIA 4" 1911. I have been ccing my MilPros with a minituck for a couple of years with no problem although, even though it is a closed rear gun, there was a little grease accumulation on the holster tab early on but never on clothes.

My concern is my clothes (t-shirts when worn with an with outer shirt) - will oil and grease rub off the open rear/open hammer of the 1911 enough to worry about? I plan on wiping it down with a silicone cloth before each carry session but was just wondering. I did not get the combat cut option so I'm thinking the height and width of the leather tab will be enough to keep the inner/T shirt clean but it offers no real protection for an outer shirt (tucked or not); just figured I'd check before I ruined something and made the little woman mad!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
So's long as you don't lube that pistola with automotive wheel bearing grease I think you will be OK. I been packin' around a 1911 for as long as I can remember ( gittin' shorter ) and my biggest problem is not cleaning it often enough and having it get full of pocket lint and other crud....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've never had any problem with grease or oil on any of my shirts. But I keep the excess to a bare minimum and wipe it down so I don't get grease or oil stains. A light application (no more than a drop or two) is all that is needed to properly lubricate a pistol.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I prefer IWB holsters with a slide/hammer shield. My favorite is a Don Hume PCCH.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wipe mine down with gun oil but I'm very OCD on making sure any excess is wiped away. I get enough on my cloths doing my own vehicle maintenance, with cloths reserved for that purpose. I don't want my good ones getting oil stains too. A silicone cloth isn't a bad idea. Going stainless is even better if you can.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The weapon should not be so wet that it soaks into your clothes except for M4's in the sandbox.
Just a couple drops of oil lubricates an entire pistol and even leaves some to wiped off with a dry rag.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
To paraphrase the "Sundance Kid"

"Sounds like you're using a bit too much lube there Butch". :D

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I over oil only for the first 300-500 or so rounds, after that very light on the rails. If I'm at the range I will wear a black shirt for the first time or two since it will blow back some dirty oil (it doenst take me long to put 300-500 rounds through one). After the initial break in I never have oil running off. I don't know that I need to use that much, but while everything sets itself in I have always used more than I normally do.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Texas aviator has it right, when I carry my new 1911 I have been lubing slightly more than I normally would but not enough to grease up my shirts! I just attended several business casual dress meetings and carried a 3" 1911 the whole time. It gave no problems, what I do is clean well then after lubing and reassembling, cycle cycle cycle the slide and wipe down lots between till there is no more oil coming out! Then again for good measure. When I think the weapon is fairly broken in I only oil it on critical parts ( you should be able to see the wear points by then!) cycle the same as before to make sure your cleaned up, then check for lint from time to time and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Oil the critical parts, then cycle and wipe. I carry a SS PT1911 so it isn't much of a concern.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Never had a problem with any of my carry weapons, all semi-auto open rear guns. I usually clean my main carry weapons once a week and my other guns every two weeks, pocket lint and everyday grit give me a reason to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts