Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of companies who offer this insurance.

How many here have a policy?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Not I, nor would I buy anymore than I would extended warranties on products. Put this on par with Credit Watch type offers. While courts can be fickle, if you're in the right chances are nothing is going to happen to you UNLESS you do something outside the law and the policy doesn't cover unlawful acts. Your chances of ever needing it are slim to none. This isn't like health insurance which you'll surely need in your lifetime - guaranteed. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
^ this guy is right ^ I agree and any extra ins that any company tries to foist off on you is a scam

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I'd never heard of Concealed Carry insurance and would never buy any because the chances
of using it are indeed very slim. Another alternative to something like this would be to have a
reputable lawyer on retainer just in case something happens to deal with the possible legal
consequences.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
I have looked into it. Being in Florida and knowing how I will not escalate any situation I am confident I do not need it. If I lived in another state I would re-evaluate it at that time.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I'd never heard of Concealed Carry insurance and would never buy any because the chances
of using it are indeed very slim. Another alternative to something like this would be to have a
reputable lawyer on retainer just in case something happens to deal with the possible legal
consequences.
That's what the insurance is--a lawyer on retainer. The difference is that a group of people share the cost of the retainer. This is not a novel idea for concealed carry--I've been using a legal retainer share for over a decade. It provides the law firm a small but steady income stream and gives an ordinary private citizen cheap access to the few times in our lives we need legal service. No scam.

Even a good self defense situation, even one "everyone" knows was good can still run into significant legal fees.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would recommend checking out the USCCA (US Concealed Carry Association)

Good benefits in addition to having the "insurance."

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
For self-defense insurance I use USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com), and I highly recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than others, but I think their service is well worth it. They offer three levels of insurance: Silver Plus, Gold Plus, and Platinum Plus. In addition, all three plans include Critical Response Team assistance 24/7/365, Attorney reference and coordination, Psychological support/counseling, and subscription to Concealed Carry Magazine. Their website has lots of other reference material, training videos,and links to additional training material. The magazine is outstanding, and once you're a member you can download any of their past issues for free. Here are the plans:

Silver Plus – Which provides $2,500 for bail bond funding, $50,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $250,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $250/day compensation while in court. Cost: $147/yr.

Gold Plus – Which provides $5,000 for bail bond funding, $75,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $500,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $350/day compensation while in court. Cost: $247/yr.

Platinum Plus – Which provides$10,000 for bail bond funding, $100,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $1,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $500/day compensation while in court. Cost:$347/yr.

I started out with the Silver plan, but after one year I upgraded to the Platinum plan. For me, the critical item was the civil suit defense/damages funding. Lots of other insurance plans provide for criminal defense, but for civil lawsuits you're on your own. With our litigious society, lawsuits are all too common, and this insurance covers both legal fees AND any damages awarded!

Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guiltyof anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.

And no, I am not a company spokesman; just a happy customer.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
That's what the insurance is--a lawyer on retainer. The difference is that a group of people share the cost of the retainer. This is not a novel idea for concealed carry--I've been using a legal retainer share for over a decade. It provides the law firm a small but steady income stream and gives an ordinary private citizen cheap access to the few times in our lives we need legal service. No scam.

Even a good self defense situation, even one "everyone" knows was good can still run into significant legal fees.
Exactly! Also look at which is cheaper, carry insurance or a lawyer on retainer? A really good one is going to cost ya unless they're you spouse or other close family member. Normally I'm with most that don't go for the ripoffs of extended warranties but fill in this case it's wise money spent.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guiltyof anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.
I had a long, long discussion about this with a good friend of mine who is a claims Special Investigator for the largest private insurer in the country. He denies claims for a living.

He told me that a good homeowner's policy (such as one with his company) will cover any gun accidents just like any other other home accidents. Guest slipping on the front step: Covered. Guest shot while you're stupidly playing with your gun: Covered.

What they don't cover are the costs stemming from an intentional shooting...such as self defense (although they do cover people you shot by mistake while gunning for the bad guy). So if you're shooting at a burglar and a stray round hits a neighbor, they will cover the legal costs of the neighbor's lawsuit. If you kill the bad guy and have legal costs stemming from the grand jury that then exonerates you...they won't cover that because you shot the guy on purpose.

That's what concealed carry insurance covers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
consequences.
NCFarmer, where you out of??

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
NCFarmer, where you out of??
I live in Wake County just outside of Raleigh. I used to go to Greensboro a bit
during my wild and wooly days and I liked that town. That was about twenty years
ago so it has probably changed a lot since then. One of my brothers married a girl
from Winston Salem and my wife is from Wayne County. It;s good to have you here!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Thanks for the information on Concealed Carry Insurance! I've learned something new and
I might have to investigate it further.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I had a long, long discussion about this with a good friend of mine who is a claims Special Investigator for the largest private insurer in the country. He denies claims for a living.

He told me that a good homeowner's policy (such as one with his company) will cover any gun accidents just like any other other home accidents. Guest slipping on the front step: Covered. Guest shot while you're stupidly playing with your gun: Covered.

What they don't cover are the costs stemming from an intentional shooting...such as self defense (although they do cover people you shot by mistake while gunning for the bad guy). So if you're shooting at a burglar and a stray round hits a neighbor, they will cover the legal costs of the neighbor's lawsuit. If you kill the bad guy and have legal costs stemming from the grand jury that then exonerates you...they won't cover that because you shot the guy on purpose.

That's what concealed carry insurance covers.
But what if the bad guy breaks in while I'm field stripping my gun for its 3 a.m. cleaning, and it accidentally goes off? :D

I don't recall where, but somewhere I've heard it tossed around that if you get into any kind of legal snagglement for pulling a gun during any self-defense issue, you can plan on being out around $4,000 even if you are in the right, and that goes up exponentially if you pull the trigger. If there are different ideas about that, I'd like to know (realizing, of course, that situations can vary greatly).

I guess I am as confident in my deconfliction/avoidance/escape abilities as anyone. I'm also confident in my driving abilities, but still buy car insurance because I can't control everything out there.

I've been considering CCW insurance for some time, but haven't committed to any particular carrier yet. USCCA sounds like the best overall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've considered joining USCCA for awhile now. Like was previously said, the civil suit coverage is the big back-breaker. You don't have to be found guilty of any crime to lose a civil suit.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I've considered joining USCCA for awhile now. Like was previously said, the civil suit coverage is the big back-breaker. You don't have to be found guilty of any crime to lose a civil suit.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
This is another point to be careful of. Be sure of what you're buying.

There are three things we're talking about: Coverage for legal costs (which might be called "insurance" but it's technically not insurance, it's a lawyer on a group-shared retainer). The second is a "trust" which is a group pool of money that would protect you from the cost of losing a civil suit. The third is coverage for the cost of losing a civil suit, which is true insurance.

Those are two different things. The first will be a contract with a law firm. The second is a contract with a group that would be handled by a law firm. The third must be a contract with a bona fide insurance company. A law firm might be a front seller for genuine insurance, but there ought to be an insurance company named in that contract (it might not be one you've heard of--there are a skillion decent commercial insurance companies you've never heard of, but you can check their AM Best ratings).

Reactions: 40niners

·
Registered
364 Posts
CCW SAFE
that is what I have, GREAT pricing!
Also it is not a Reimbursement Plan or anything like that they cover you up front and they have their own lawyers they are good to go

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
If you are considering concealed carry insurance for liability coverage, you may already have liability insurance if you own a home and have home owner's insurance.

I checked with my agent about needing liability insurance if I shoot someone and she told me that I already have $1,000,000 worth of liability through my home owner's policy. I ask specifically if it would cover me in a shooting incident. Check with your agent.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If you are considering concealed carry insurance for liability coverage, you may already have liability insurance if you own a home and have home owner's insurance.

I checked with my agent about needing liability insurance if I shoot someone and she told me that I already have $1,000,000 worth of liability through my home owner's policy. I ask specifically if it would cover me in a shooting incident. Check with your agent.
Don't just say "shooting incident," say "intentional shooting."

Reactions: pegasus
1 - 20 of 62 Posts