1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
How could this even make the news? An armed citizen stopping a crime in progress hardly advances the narrative we usually hear in the news! The local jurisdiction should award this guy with some honor.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
How could this even make the news? An armed citizen stopping a crime in progress hardly advances the narrative we usually hear in the news! The local jurisdiction should award this guy with some honor.
Well luckily for us pro 2A people, live video of a 65 year old man clinging to the hood of a moving car made it impossible to ignore.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
It's good the CCWer is not facing charges, but I'm not sure what the point of pulling a gun was at the time, unless Fitzgerald had a weapon.

From what I saw, Fitzgerald's car was pretty well blocked in, so he wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Guess you had to be there.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
When Fitzgerald finally stopped, I'll bet they had to pry Kamrowskis' fingers from the hood of the car. That had to be one scarry ride.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
MA, while a very liberal state, does have plenty of towns where getting a CCW would not be a hard thing to do. Take a class, fill out the paper work, and if you live in an area where the Chief isn't an idiot or a political hack, you're good to go.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good the CCWer is not facing charges, but I'm not sure what the point of pulling a gun was at the time, unless Fitzgerald had a weapon.

From what I saw, Fitzgerald's car was pretty well blocked in, so he wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Guess you had to be there.
I noticed that as well when I saw the video and thought the same thing. Why bother at that point. Plus the police showed up shortly afterwards and ordered the gun carrier to the ground because they didn't know what exactly was going on, making it risky to the CC.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Plus the police showed up shortly afterwards and ordered the gun carrier to the ground because they didn't know what exactly was going on, making it risky to the CC.
That's going to happen everywhere. And it should.

The cops always show up after, at the tail end or right in the middle of things happening. Since they are walking in after things have already started and have been well underway, they don't know who is who, what is what and who is on what side. All they see is a guy, that ain't one of them, with a gun.

Step #1 always going to be gaining control of the situation and that normally includes disarming anybody with out a badge. The whole on the ground, treating him like he's dangerous makes sense because they don't know, yet, what's going on and it's better to err on the side of caution with a restrained response (the 'restrained' part being that they didn't shoot him). He could be a Good Samaritan, on the other hand, he also could be a quadruple axe murder that just got a weapons upgrade. The problem is, they just don't know yet.

If he's righteous, they can take the cuffs off and give him his gun back. If he's not on the side of the angels, then he's already in cuffs and they have his gun.

As far as the danger level, just use common sense. The roadside isn't the place to argue with a cop. It never has been.

Just do what he's saying to do, the way he says to do it and save the arguments for a more appropriate venue- like a courtroom with a judge and lawyers.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's going to happen everywhere. And it should.

The cops always show up after, at the tail end or right in the middle of things happening. Since they are walking in after things have already started and have been well underway, they don't know who is who, what is what and who is on what side. All they see is a guy, that ain't one of them, with a gun.

Step #1 always going to be gaining control of the situation and that normally includes disarming anybody with out a badge. The whole on the ground, treating him like he's dangerous makes sense because they don't know, yet, what's going on and it's better to err on the side of caution with a restrained response (the 'restrained' part being that they didn't shoot him). He could be a Good Samaritan, on the other hand, he also could be a quadruple axe murder that just got a weapons upgrade. The problem is, they just don't know yet.

If he's righteous, they can take the cuffs off and give him his gun back. If he's not on the side of the angels, then he's already in cuffs and they have his gun.

As far as the danger level, just use common sense. The roadside isn't the place to argue with a cop. It never has been.

Just do what he's saying to do, the way he says to do it and save the arguments for a more appropriate venue- like a courtroom with a judge and lawyers.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, or what the cops did in that situation. My point was if that is going to be a risk the CC should be very careful about what kinds of third party situations he/she interjects themselves into, and not to even be drawing or displaying a gun if there is no point to it, even if you are legally justified.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I don't disagree with what you're saying, or what the cops did in that situation. My point was if that is going to be a risk the CC should be very careful about what kinds of third party situations he/she interjects themselves into, and not to even be drawing or displaying a gun if there is no point to it, even if you are legally justified.
To tell you the truth, unless it's blatantly obvious what is going on and someone is in immediate threat of loss of life and limb, I'm more likely to keep that mouse in it's hole and pull out a cell phone to call the cops while being a good witness.

It's gonna sound harsh, but the truth often is harsh.

I don't carry a gun to protect other folks- much less complete strangers. My sole reason is to protect me and mine.

Period.

Not you and yours. Not them and theirs.

Me. And. Mine.

Now- if in the course of protecting me and mine- I end up doing you a solid and also protecting you and yours or them and theirs, then that's just a fantastic coincidence and your or their good fortune. But that's exactly what it will be. Coincidence and good fortune.

This isn't about bravery or callousness, it's about priorities.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, on my priority list of who to keep safe, you and yours and them and theirs ain't even on the radar horizon much less the Top 10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts