Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He's being charged with murder. Ohio recently went to permitless carry, and IDK if this guy is one of those or if he had the CHL class. The link doesn't say one way or the other.

The printed article only says the shooter was smacked in the face, but in the video where the shooter says what happened, he specifically says "He just threw a purse at me, hit me in the face."

In the printed article it says

"Court records filed by police said surveillance video showed Gray and Sylvester verbally arguing inside the Sole Stop store when Sylvester hit Tyrone with a handbag.
"They've had past issues," said Moffatt. "As far as a beef or whatever, just happened to be at the same mall at the same time my son was at the mall."
The affidavit said Gray pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at Sylvester, killing him. Police estimated there were about 15-20 people in the store at the time of the shooting.
"Words were exchanged and things escalated, to the point where he pulled out a gun," said Moffatt. "My son didn't have a gun."

If this isn't plea bargained it will be interesting what arguments the defense will come up with.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yeah, obviously tossing a purse at someone isn't adequate justification for use of deadly force, and there's no way that Tyrone legitimately felt that he was in mortal danger over that, he was just enraged by it and gunned the other guy down in cold blood, but is desperately trying to save himself by claiming self-defense.

It was unquestionably murder and hopefully this case will be settled quickly with a proper verdict of: Guilty.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
40,571 Posts
Murder 2, 10-20

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Paul Harvey, what's the rest of the story. owww lord, he had a baby on the way. I bet he was a good boy. Where is his tween picture ? They will talk about everything but what actually happened.
They had previous"history". What is "had issues" ? Is that why or give him reason to fear death or great body injury? When they talk it up with irrelevant hog wash like a baby he will never meet...
If you get hit with the purse my sister carries around you could wind up in the ICU.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
This is why you walk away from arguments when you're carrying a gun.

Nothing you got into only an argument about is worth killing someone over.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
This is why you walk away from arguments when you're carrying a gun.

Nothing you got into only an argument about is worth killing someone over.
With great power comes great responsible. I sometimes hate having a gun on me because i have to keep my mouth shut and not engage. Let it go and walk away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
More information needed on this one. Any news story reports what THEY want you to hear. I don’t know the laws in Ohio but what if the guy who got shot yelled out something like “I am going to take a gun out of my purse and kill you with it!” Or “I am going to bludgeon you to death with my purse that I am using to carry a brick.”Would those things qualify as believing that you are in imminent danger or death or great bodily harm? Just saying…

whatever the verdict, I hope the justice system gets it right.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not enough information to make a decision on this one. What did the Purse Thrower say before and as he threw the purse at the other. What history did they have. As an example; if the shot guy had previously tried to stab, beat to death etc the shooter, the shooter may very likely have been in fear for his life or great bodily injury. What if the shot guy yelled, "I'm going to kill you!" right before throwing his purse at the shooter. The shooter, once again, could easily claim he was in fear for his life or great bodily injury.

Things such as this are most often never quite so cut and dry.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
More information needed on this one. Any news story reports what THEY want you to hear. I don’t know the laws in Ohio but what if the guy who got shot yelled out something like “I am going to take a gun out of my purse and kill you with it!” Or “I am going to bludgeon you to death with my purse that I am using to carry a brick.”Would those things qualify as believing that you are in imminent danger or death or great bodily harm? Just saying…

whatever the verdict, I hope the justice system gets it right.
I would think that if the purse had turned out not to be a simple purse, it would have affected the charges filed.

I'd point out, though, that the Florida retired lawman who killed a man after having popcorn thrown at him after an argument in a theater was acquitted.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Yeah, obviously tossing a purse at someone isn't adequate justification for use of deadly force, and there's no way that Tyrone legitimately felt that he was in mortal danger over that, he was just enraged by it and gunned the other guy down in cold blood, but is desperately trying to save himself by claiming self-defense.

It was unquestionably murder and hopefully this case will be settled quickly with a proper verdict of: Guilty.
That is not so obvious to me. If someone is throwing anything at your head, it could be deadly. This is why one needs an expert defense attorney. The prosecutor (and the thug's family) will try to claim it is no big deal. It certainly could be.

Defense in some states depends on the point of view. It may be a reasonable person's point of view, or it may be the victim's point of view. We'll have to see the approach in that state.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Good luck that you were in fear of your life or serious bodily harm from a purse but there will be more to the argument. He might have a chance if he was a 70 year old 100 lb woman and the purse slinger was 6'3" with 2 other gang accomplices...

You need to be able to sell that you were reasonably threatened... otherwise like dad said...keep it in your pants...or was that different advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts

He's being charged with murder. Ohio recently went to permitless carry, and IDK if this guy is one of those or if he had the CHL class. The link doesn't say one way or the other.

The printed article only says the shooter was smacked in the face, but in the video where the shooter says what happened, he specifically says "He just threw a purse at me, hit me in the face."

In the printed article it says

"Court records filed by police said surveillance video showed Gray and Sylvester verbally arguing inside the Sole Stop store when Sylvester hit Tyrone with a handbag.
"They've had past issues," said Moffatt. "As far as a beef or whatever, just happened to be at the same mall at the same time my son was at the mall."
The affidavit said Gray pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at Sylvester, killing him. Police estimated there were about 15-20 people in the store at the time of the shooting.
"Words were exchanged and things escalated, to the point where he pulled out a gun," said Moffatt. "My son didn't have a gun."

If this isn't plea bargained it will be interesting what arguments the defense will come up with.
just some fyi this happened sunday the new ohio open carry law didnt start until the next day

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is not so obvious to me. If someone is throwing anything at your head, it could be deadly. This is why one needs an expert defense attorney. The prosecutor (and the thug's family) will try to claim it is no big deal. It certainly could be.
Well, that's not really true here though. Party A through the purse at Party B's head. Party B did not die, so the purse wasn't deadly. Party B then shot Party A.

So, already proven that the purse wasn't deadly as that occurred before the guy shot back.

Not to mention, you're now in the realm of "Anything can be a deadly weapon!" and making other 'technical' arguments that don't fit in with Reality, but make sense only in the Land of Make Believe.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Well, that's not really true here though. Party A through the purse at Party B's head. Party B did not die, so the purse wasn't deadly. Party B then shot Party A.

So, already proven that the purse wasn't deadly as that occurred before the guy shot back.

Not to mention, you're now in the realm of "Anything can be a deadly weapon!" and making other 'technical' arguments that don't fit in with Reality, but make sense only in the Land of Make Believe.
Odd that you can only use self defense if you die? I sure don't want that thinking on any jury.

·
Super Moderator
22,383 Posts
We need to know what was said, implied, history had there been a threat of death or great bodily harm! There's a lot missing!

·
Registered
37,690 Posts
I would think that if the purse had turned out not to be a simple purse, it would have affected the charges filed.

I'd point out, though, that the Florida retired lawman who killed a man after having popcorn thrown at him after an argument in a theater was acquitted.

Likely one of dem evil Black Assault Purses!

·
Registered
37,690 Posts
unfortunately issuance of a carry permit (if required)_does not equal someone having walking around sense, logic or the ability to hit a Bull in the butt with a fired shot!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts