Taurus Firearm Forum banner

141 - 143 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I will admit that when I first started carrying autoloaders I did carry Condition 2 - full mag none in the chamber. It took me about a month to decide I wasn't too clumsy to carry one in the pipe. My first autoloader was my PT140 MilPro. SA/DA with thumb safety. All went well. I graduated to my PT145 then . . . the moment of truth for me was when I started carrying my first GLOCK a G19. Striker fired with no external safeties.
I do prefer external hammers and have grown rather fond of decockers: so began my love affair with the Sig P series.

As many have now seen, I've become an equal opportunity firearm carrier. I'll carry 1911s, striker fired (my latest favorite the Sig P320), GLOCKs, SIGs and revolvers of Ruger and S&W lineage. And I'll even toss a pocket gun in the pocket as my BUG.

In case you are not aware, teh S&W Model 411 is a 3rd generation SA/DA 40 cal. I never purchased a Glock while still working. I own two now and bought the Glock 22 six years after I retired and the Glock 30 in 2019 on the Blue Label program. It took me awhile to grow warm to striker fired handguns, too, after seeing numerous negiligent discharges by officers not properly trained in carrying striker fired handguns.

See, back in the revolvers days when I started, one could carry a revolver with finger looped inside the trigger guard as most revolvers had a significant trigger pull. My S&W Model 58 was tested after a shooting in Novermber 1985 to be 12 lbs. ! So, the officers began transitioning to striker fired hand guns and 'glock leg' was born !! I remember one incident in which a mounted officer shot his horse in the shoulder because of his finger on the trigger.

I carried many platforms as an officer...revolvers (.357 and .41), 1911 (45 ACP), SA/DA in .45 ACP, 40 cal, and 9MM...striker fired in Glock and S&W are now carried...great guns.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
In case you are not aware, teh S&W Model 411 is a 3rd generation SA/DA 40 cal. I never purchased a Glock while still working. I own two now and bought the Glock 22 six years after I retired and the Glock 30 in 2019 on the Blue Label program. It took me awhile to grow warm to striker fired handguns, too, after seeing numerous negiligent discharges by officers not properly trained in carrying striker fired handguns.

See, back in the revolvers days when I started, one could carry a revolver with finger looped inside the trigger guard as most revolvers had a significant trigger pull. My S&W Model 58 was tested after a shooting in Novermber 1985 to be 12 lbs. ! So, the officers began transitioning to striker fired hand guns and 'glock leg' was born !! I remember one incident in which a mounted officer shot his horse in the shoulder because of his finger on the trigger.

I carried many platforms as an officer...revolvers (.357 and .41), 1911 (45 ACP), SA/DA in .45 ACP, 40 cal, and 9MM...striker fired in Glock and S&W are now carried...great guns.
When I started out volunteering it was all revolvers and only revolvers, except for special units. At the end of my volunteering they were allowing transition to semi auto handguns but I saw a similar thing during training, cops who were used to revolvers putting their finger on the trigger. What one instructor said to do was mentally treat semi auto SA's like you would a SA shotgun, which we also had to qualify with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too at first was a little "self conscious" with one in the pipe at first. But now I have come to appreciate and have practiced with the safeties on my G series EDC weapons. And no am fine with one in the pipe safety on. I have made it part of my draw technique to be able to flip the safety down quickly and have it at the ready in short order

141 - 143 of 143 Posts