Taurus Firearm Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
i have two carry pistols, one has a safety and i do chamber and one does not have a safety and i don't chamber.... afraid i might shoot myself....just saying
If you aren't comfortable carrying it loaded, then why carry it at all?

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I have a Kimber Pro Carry 2. While it looks like a 1911, there's no barrel bushing, so for purists, it's not really a JMB 1911. But it's a pretty good gun, and quite accurate, and I got a good deal on it. There is not a firing pin block as such. It's a firing pin shroud, which requires the hammer to overcome spring pressure. I've not noticed any appreciable difference in the trigger from any Series 70 1911. The trigger is a little rough, but is consistent with no take up and no over travel. The trigger is not as smooth as my Desert Eagle 1911C, but it seems to lack the "bad" characteristics of the series 80 blocks. While I pefer a series 70, my reasoning is the KISS principle. Fewer moving parts, less chance of failure. And the argument with regards to competition shooters needing a Series 70 is kind of moot. A light trigger is important. But to go along with the light trigger is the consistency. At least in Bullseye Competition. The gun has to go bang at the same place in the trigger travel every time, and the reset has to be the same every time.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
If you aren't comfortable carrying it loaded, then why carry it at all?
we all have our fears, concerns, likes , dislikes??
myself an unchambered weapon that is intended for defense is about like a stapler with no staples sitting on a desk with a pile of papers waiting to be attached together.
just waaay to many things can go wrong when trying to chamber a gun, especially when thats under stress, excitement and drawing from a holster or concealment.
I say this as my primary carry weapons are CZ and Sig Sauers and i still feel to many problems can arise from trying to chamber a weapon before being able to fire it.

Reactions: BigBlue and jtg452

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Various versions of the 1911 here and I carry condition 1.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I figured y'all in Europe used a chamber maid to do it anyway!
Oooh.. do I perceive a degree of racial stereotyping here..? Of course one would hope one's valet would attend to that tedious part of the process and leave shooting the blighters to one's self. Use to be good in the old days, when the harvest was nearly done the shout would go around the estates "Serf's up.." and we'd head out with the Purdey's and Holland & Holland's for a bit of sport. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
i have two carry pistols, one has a safety and i do chamber and one does not have a safety and i don't chamber.... afraid i might shoot myself....just saying
Welcome to the forum.

If you read the entire thread, you'll have noticed on one of the first few pages it was stated that carrying an unloaded gun is dumb. I rarely carry, but I too don't put one in the chamber. No amount of being called dumb or untrained or unsure of myself is going to change that. The way I see it, if someone were to sneak up on me and hit me in the head, I couldn't draw, let alone chamber a round. Statistically, I will never need a gun in public. I'll never be trained and practiced enough to compete in any quick draw competition. I'm comfortable with the way I (infrequently) carry and I cannot be offended, so I don't care what anyone says or infers about my ability. I hope you feel comfortable with yourself, despite the goading of others.

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
Oooh.. do I perceive a degree of racial stereotyping here..? Of course one would hope one's valet would attend to that tedious part of the process and leave shooting the blighters to one's self. Use to be good in the old days, when the harvest was nearly done the shout would go around the estates "Serf's up.." and we'd head out with the Purdey's and Holland & Holland's for a bit of sport. ;D
MY MAN GODFREY actually chambers all my weapons that i am going to tote each day before i leave out, doesn't everyones MAN do that for them?

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
MY MAN GODFREY actually chambers all my weapons that i am going to tote each day before i leave out, doesn't everyones MAN do that for them?
Actually some people do have a 'man' for that purpose. I believe the name 'Paul' is common amongst such chaps. Indeed the position of 'loader' is such an esteemed one that it warrants a special chair to convey said 'Paul' around the estate. And the chaps who manhandled and carried the loader, called Paul, were known, commonly, as Paul Bearers..

My 'man' is called Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh. A fine old British name, but don't get your neck in a twist because it's pronounced Chumley Fanshaw. (I kid you not).

·
Registered
36,452 Posts
Actually Godfreys main purpose besides driving the Limo where I want to go , is carrying my Over and Under shotguns and my double rifles when i go to shoot skeet.
but he does a fine job loading pistol chambers as well.

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
My 'man' is called Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh. A fine old British name, but don't get your neck in a twist because it's pronounced Chumley Fanshaw. (I kid you not).
It's amazing what the English have done to mangle the English language.:p

Unless he's Welsh. We all know the Welsh just make up the spelling of words to confuse the rest of the world.

And ya'll make fun of us 'colonials'!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's amazing what the English have done to mangle the English language.:p

Unless he's Welsh. We all know the Welsh just make up the spelling of words to confuse the rest of the world.

And ya'll make fun of us 'colonials'!
Well.. the Romans came, and went. As did the Danes, Vikings, Saxons, Angles, Jutes, the Normans etc., but all left 'something' behind and that turns out to be elements of their individual and collective languages. Indeed where I live there was a Viking invasion, the final one, in 979 and our highest 'mountain' is called Snaefell, meaning Snow Mountain in Old Norse. There is a village called Laxey, the name comes from Laxa, Norse word for 'salmon river'.. and so it goes on and on..

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Well.. the Romans came, and went. As did the Danes, Vikings, Saxons, Angles, Jutes, the Normans etc., but all left 'something' behind and that turns out to be elements of their individual and collective languages. Indeed where I live there was a Viking invasion, the final one, in 979 and our highest 'mountain' is called Snaefell, meaning Snow Mountain in Old Norse. There is a village called Laxey, the name comes from Laxa, Norse word for 'salmon river'.. and so it goes on and on..
But the Danes and other Vikings were just looking for a decent meal.:p

Two words explain the Viking invasions; lutefisk and hakarl.

In comparison, even English cuisine sounds appealing.

Ya'll were an independent or semi-independent for a very long time, too.

I first ran into the history of the Isle of Mann when Brodir of Mann was mentioned as being one of the leader of the Viking force fighting with Dublin at the Battle of Clontarf.

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
881 Posts
There was an episode of Deadliest Warrior (iirc) that was Spetsnaz vs Green Berets.
Spetsnaz carried the Makarov as their sidearm, it was carried without one in the chamber BUT it was in a holster that you drew from by pushing downwards, which racked the slide chambering a round as you drew - that's the only way I'd consider carrying without a round chambered.

·
Administrator
39,884 Posts
With today’s holster offerings, and the number of pistols manufactured without a thumb safety, the chances of an unintentional discharge is zero. Draw fast, reholster slowly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I carry chambered.

I won’t ever criticize anyone who feels they can only carry with a safety on or unchambered. There are optimal ways to carry, but in the end it’s all about personal choice. No one can tell you how to carry. I find it ridiculous that some folks seem to opine that you ONLY carry chambered or you only carry a pistol with no safety at all or you only carry a semi auto, or you only carry a certain caliber, or you only carry appendix and if you don’t do it their way then you shouldn’t be carrying at all. It’s you life, it’s your choice, so you should do it the way that best suits you and your lifestyle. At least you are carrying.

·
Registered
29,773 Posts
If you want a cool documentary on the history of the English language, try The Adventure of English (Well cool in my opinion :D ).

It is a British documentary miniseries. I saw it 15 years ago or so.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLez3PPtnpncRpf__w_8XWEca2EDv25h3e

I thought it was well done, but I am a history nerd and watch alot of documentaries on different subjects.

Reactions: jtg452 and ManxTom

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
If you want a cool documentary on the history of the English language, try The Adventure of English (Well cool in my opinion :D ).

It is a British documentary miniseries. I saw it 15 years ago or so.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLez3PPtnpncRpf__w_8XWEca2EDv25h3e

I thought it was well done, but I am a history nerd and watch alot of documentaries on different subjects.
English is a seriously jacked up language if you get to thinking about it.

Germanic base, a modified Latin grammar, with a strong Middle French influence and a habit of taking descriptive loan words for new objects from every language under the sun and mangling the pronunciation beyond recognition until it's easy for us to say it.

Then, there's the lingering 'silent' letters that we don't use any more in pronunciation but still write (the silent 'k' in knife, knot and know for example) and the 'rules' of spelling that always have exceptions. Not to mention that written English is nothing like the spoken version anywhere.

No wonder foreigners have such a time learning the language!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A few years back my sister sent me a text message which she had 'written' in text speak. I looked at it, didn't bother trying to decipher her message, and swiftly deleted it. I didn't hear from her for about three months because she thought she'd upset me over something..!! She didn't realise my dislike and total distain for 'text speak' until she was having a conversation with my wife and happened to be talking about cell phones and stuff and my wife informed her I'd probably deleted her message straight away..

Still do.. I had enough of Army speak when I was serving, I don't need a civilian version.

·
Administrator
39,884 Posts
Ahem. This thread is supposed to be about carrying a handgun with a chambered round or not.:hijacked:

101 - 120 of 143 Posts