Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am shopping for a conceal carry pistol and am looking at the S&W M&P in both 9mm and 40 caliber and understand the reasons a number of folks are recommending 9mm over 40 these days.

For example:
  1. Easier to stay on target
  2. Ammo cost

I'm leaning towards to .40 since I already own a Glock 23 and ammo, and would like not to have to purchase different caliber ammo.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Why not get a 9mm so you have one.......To be honest you will probably start buying other calibers in the future anyway. I own a glock 23 also but i rarely carry it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! Here we go again, caliber wars!!

I face this question as I hand load almost all of the ammo that I shoot and when faced with the idea of acquiring another caliber it includes getting dies, turret, brass and bullets and maybe even powder if what I have on hand isn't an indicated charge.

I don't have 40 S&W so I cannot weight in on the efficacy of that round. I shoot and carry 9mm and 45 ACP and always figured that those would take care of any need I may have for SD. I currently have my Shield 45 ACP on my hip.

One other item not mentioned is capacity. The 9mm will give you additional ammo on board. While you may be used to the 40 in the Glock, the Smith may have a very different feel with that caliber. If you add another caliber to the stable, it also can keep you in the ammo purchase game should one or the other become scarce. Just a few more thoughts to make your decision harder, you can thank me later. :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with the post above. When looking at possibly buying a 9mm look at size of pistol compared to the 40. Look at ammo capacity and the size person you are and how comfortable you will be concealing the pistol. Look at how you are going to carry it./ holster.

For example I appendix carry glock 43x summer / fall. When winter gets here I will conceal my ruger lc9s in front Jean pocket due to coat zipped. I have Taurus gx4 to replace ruger in carry rotation. I'm smaller person and have tried to conceal my glock g45 but weight and size to conceal makes it harder for me. Hope this helps .

Welcome to the forum from N.C.

·
23,833 Posts
.40 is a significantly better round in my opinion. When both are available in the same platform, I'll always pick the .40.

But these days, I'm a firm believer in being able to use whatever you can find. I think an upstanding, right-thinking American who really cares about stuff... and things, must own a .32, a .380, a 9mm, a .40, a 10mm, a .45, and an equally broad spread of revolver calibers too. That way, whatever they have in stock you can buy and be able to use.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree with the internet belief that 40 Cal is so snappy one cannot stay on target. People need to hit the gym then ! I carry 40 quite often and have no problems remaining on target with follow-up shots.

I have three 9MM handguns and carry one of them often, as well, however, I will not carry it because the 40 cal is "snappier" because it isn't to me.

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
I bought a S&W M&P Shield 40 several years ago, and like it so much that it instantly became my always carry. Most concealable carry I’ve ever owned, and shooting it is enjoyable, at least for me. I’m a 40 S&W cartridge fan.
I have a Glock 19 that’s easy to carry, but just too fat for my concealment likes.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
In these times of ammo shortages every time the Leftists start making noises about gun control, I don't know if I'd want to add another cartridge to keep in stock unless I reload. Multiple guns sharing a cartridge just means you have more options of what to shoot.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other, otherwise. Both are chambered in the same size guns (often chambered in the same gun with the only differences being spring, barrel and mag), so there's no concealability advantage since there are very few .40's that don't also have a 9mm option (even if you have to go out and buy the barrel, spring and mag to do the conversion yourself). On paper, there's little difference between the two and, in real life, the only ones that would know the difference would be you and the coroner performing the autopsy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
9mm is the most available, convenient, and affordable. If you stick with 147 grain 9mm it's about the same size as the 40 and the 9mm 147 grain is the perfect balance of controllability, size, and felt recoil and has great options for defensive rounds

From a platform standpoint moving to 9 your options going forward will be endless.

Plus if you ever want to sell your piece and try something different 9mm is the standard and there's far more buyers looking to get a 9mm than the other way.

But you have to determine what works best for you by seeing for yourself.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
340 Posts
I guess I'm the oddball - I own neither a .40S&W nor a 9x19. But I'm confident that either is fine for an up close and personal defensive weapon. Try 'em all and pick whatever works best for yourself... and ignore all the critics.
My EDC rotation is firearms I'm totally confident in no matter what the 'experts' have to say about them. I choose smaller guns for CC... .380, .327FM, .38/.357, .32ACP, and occasionally .41RM.

·
23,833 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree with the internet belief that 40 Cal is so snappy one cannot stay on target. People need to hit the gym then !
I lift weights daily. It's one of my most deeply ingrained habits, and has been for years. Before I put the Pearce mag extension on, getting follow up shots with my PT740 was not quick. I'd say I agree with you, provided the pistol in question lets the shooter get three actual fingers on the grip.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Shoot what you like to shoot. I almost exclusively carry something in .45 acp because I like the shooting characteristics. In the winter I switch to a hotter round. Money should not be a factor when you are talking about something that has the potential to save your life.

·
Registered
G3/TX22
236 Posts
Hello.

I am shopping for a conceal carry pistol and am looking at the S&W M&P in both 9mm and 40 caliber and understand the reasons a number of folks are recommending 9mm over 40 these days.

For example:
  2. Ammo cost

I'm leaning towards to .40 since I already own a Glock 23 and ammo, and would like not to have to purchase different caliber ammo.

Any opinions?
With a 40 S&W platform you can always add in a 9mm conversion barrel and then you have the best of both worlds. This makes a lot of practical sense because you have two different ammo options in times of low availability.

I have an HK USPc with 9/40/357 options and a 9mm conversion barrel arriving in the mail today for my Glock 35. Options are always a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
May I suggest that, instead of replacing your G23 with a 9mm, it would be a lot less expensive to buy a 9mm barrel for your Glock. You'll also have to buy some 9mm magazines, but in the end you have a dual-caliber pistol and money in your pocket.

I, also, own a G23, and as soon as those unexpected expenses stop cropping up each month :rolleyes: that's what I'm going to do. In my mind, it's a win-win.

·
9,541 Posts
Welcome aboard! Have you shot a 40 yet? I find that 9mm has a rocking recoil impulse and 45 is a push recoil impulse. 40 rides somewhere in between. As far as felt recoil - not really that much of a difference for me. In the right platform 40cal is an excellent choice. I used 40 for years in an FN, very accurate and so so concealability. Tried 40 in a Glock, it was ok, other than bad Glock ergo's. The M&P 40 would be my choice over those two platforms. Another consideration is ammo availability,,during the recent covid stoopidity 40 was almost always available, whereas 9mm was impossible to find locally.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
I prefer the 40 S&W.
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma!

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Shoot both with several different loads. Carry what you shoot best. One advantage of a 9 is that most people can get back on target faster than with a snappier load. However, much of the the perceived recoil is taken up in the larger and heavier frame of the larger caliber. What it boils down to is you should carry what you shoot best and what makes you comfortable. If you can't shoot a certain gun/caliber, you wont carry it and your question becomes moot.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
CCW is not a range toy as such so cost of ammo...
CCW is lead on target and firstest with the mostest.
I would carry a twin Buford 40mm if it concealed well and i could hit my target every time.
I have many guns in my CCW line up of different calibers and makes,
revolvers and autos, but all the same as the confidence i have to put lead on target and it goes bang with out fear of failure.
.357 and .40 is where i like to be but .22wmr .380 and 9mm are in the line up because i'm not going to miss. The right tool for the right job. where i am going , what i will be doing and how i will be dressing has the largest impact on what i carry.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Hello.

For example:
  2. Ammo cost

Any opinions?
The 605 Taurus offers you both .38+ p and .357 in the same weapon if you want more punch. I have the protector Poly and love it but they also offer a steel frame which is easier to modify if one desires to do so. They are very concealable, just a thought.

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one. The main reason I would stick with 9mm (and did, as I opted for the S&W Shield Plus) is that the 9mm is every bit the manstopper now that the 40 S&W round is. That wasn't true 25 years ago, but now it is with the science behind bullet expansion. So, all things being equal, I wanted the extra capacity. It was that simple for me.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts