Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of you computer savvy individuals, it appears as if my dogs have tripped on my charging wire on my laptop one too many times. I have replaced the cord but to no avail. The computer will only charge with the cord held in certain positions and is getting worse. Is this something that is repairable or am I better off getting the unit replaced. My laptop is only about a year old and works fine when I can keep it charged.:confused:

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
AC side or DC side?

Check BestBuy for chargers, they are pretty cheap.
They may have a direct replacement for your laptop.

·
Administrator
39,390 Posts
You may even be able to replace the cables on both sides. Mine just plug in. But if they're pretty inexpensive, I'd buy the new unit.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
If BestBuy does not have a direct replacement, find one with the exact same DC rating in output voltage and current, then just cut the plug off the old charger and splice it on the new one.
You can use wire splices and just crimp the wires, then tape it with electrical tape.

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
There are two possibilities - the wire in the cable has separated and when held in a certain position the two ends make enough contact to work: replace the brick (ebay or a Rocket)
Or the spring in the jack in the computer is broken. This is more problematic - it can be fixed but the parts can be hard to come by. Often in is easier to jury rig a replacement.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice so far. I have already replaced the entire charger and cord, the issue is the jack on the laptop itself. I know that they put these things together with not much space or forgiveness in them now and that is why I am not sure if it can actually be replaced or if it will need to go to a repair facility.

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
So you've gotten that far. :)
As I say, replacement jacks that fit can be problematic. Before continuing, please answer this:
Is the laptop used at home or does it truly need to be portable?

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
I have seen a lot of cases where the solder has just broke away from the jack and it just needs to be re soldered in place. I saw a youtube video on fixing it that helped me with my first one.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
A good laptop repair shop can re-solder or replace the jack. It generally requires full disassembly of the laptop to get to the mainboard. If the laptop's more than 2 or 3 years old, replace it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you've gotten that far. :)
As I say, replacement jacks that fit can be problematic. Before continuing, please answer this:
Is the laptop used at home or does it truly need to be portable?
It is almost always used at home and is only portable when I am on vacation.

·
Registered
27,139 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have fixed a few where the power cord was forcibly ripped from the laptop by my (and others) not paying attention. OOPS!

Luckily the power port did not separate or come lose from the motherboard and the charger would work with the plug held in a certain position.

Where the power cord plugs into these laptops there is a small metal tab (spring) that must contact the side (metal) of the power plug, this often gets bent out of the way when the plug gets ripped out at an angle. Bending it back (gently) so that it contacts the plug with a toothpick has cured the problem.

Your laptop may be different.

Reactions: troutkiller

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far. I have already replaced the entire charger and cord, the issue is the jack on the laptop itself. I know that they put these things together with not much space or forgiveness in them now and that is why I am not sure if it can actually be replaced or if it will need to go to a repair facility.
The jack on your laptop into which the AC adapter plugs has been damaged from the repeated lateral jerks your dogs have provided. Ease of repair depends entirely on the model of the laptop computer. The charging jack on some is an entirely replaceable plug-in module, and on others it is "hard wired " (soldered, usually) to the mainboard, and hard lateral jerks can actually damage the board, requiring replacement of the whole thing.

Either way, repair is a task that is usually not suited to the novice, as it almost always requires the complete disassembly of the unit. I have done a couple, and have sent others back to the manufacturer for repair. If you want to see what is involved,
. Try doing a youtube search for "repair power jack [insert your computer's manufacturer and model number here]".

EDIT: I now see that others have given you essentially the same advice.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
If your laptop is under a year old it should still have a factory warranty. Places like Walmart don't let you know this so you will buy their warranty when your usually covered anyways. Can't hurt to call and maybe save some cash on your end.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
IMHO Since I have been doing consumer electronic repairs for the past 40 years.

The jack in your laptop has broken loose from the foils on the circuit board. And or the foils have been ripped from the board itself.
Once you disassembled to the point of accessablity it could be a very simple matter to resolder the jack to the board. You might have to add a short wire extension.

If the foils between the jack and the top of the board are damaged it's a much bigger PITA to fix.

I have seen a couple where the board itself was broken off at the corner where the jack mounted.

Either way you have learned a big lesson. Protect that jack/plug connection like you protect your gun. Such a seemingly small thing can total your computer.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got my computer back, the prong inside the jack was broken off in the back. A local guy was able to disassemble it and solder everything back together for me for a decent price. In the process I learned he is a former LEO and is into guns...so that passed the time while he was working on the machine. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
14,609 Posts
If your funds allow it, get a port replicator. this will provide you with video, com, printer USB and POWER. I would much rather destroy a port replicator than a laptop mainboard. (I too have been doing computer repair and electrical engineering for decades)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts