Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the world of firearms, but I am really interested in competitive shooting. Any tips on how to get started: books, dvd's, videos, etc.?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The only competitive shooting I was ever in they called a war.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your service!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a google search Marky for competitive shooting organizations

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It depends on what you want to do. If you are into fast shooting competition with slicked up autos and DA revolvers ther's IDPA, its mostly 1911's though. You like to wear a 10 gallon hat and chaps and strap a .45 to your thigh you go SASS. There's sillouette shooters for those you just like to lay down, take it easy and try to hit something very far with a single shot hand gun. Then there is .22 competition pistol. Thats Handguns, for rifles you got biathalon which is running or skiing (depends on climate) then shooting at targets. Straight target competition. Then there is Camp Perry. And I missed a whole lot more, and didn't get into skeet shooting. The point is it all depends on what you like to shoot and where you are located. Welcome to shooting!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the info. It sounds like there's a whole bunch of really cool options out there for a newbie like me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried IDPA, but ya really need to practice to get anywhere there. Used to manage a trap and skeet range; got pretty good with a scattergun. (Sure helped with duck/dove hunting.)

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Chef said:
I tried IDPA, but ya really need to practice to get anywhere there. Used to manage a trap and skeet range; got pretty good with a scattergun. (Sure helped with duck/dove hunting.)
If your not good, can you still have fun doing it. Or do they laugh you out of the place!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts