Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you prefer your carry gun to be compensated (ported) or not?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'll carry either

• Depends (explain)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for your carry gun; the one (or more) that you would carry with you day and/or night. Do you want it compensated or not and why?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Overall I prefer my carry guns not be compensated and I have shot my M44C at night as well as some compensated glocks (10mm's as well as others) and find that I shoot just as well with standard vs compensated guns even when rapid firing. I'm not going to win any competitions by any means but for close up work I don't feel they are completely necessary. That being said, I am carrying my M44.. which is why I am checking I'll carry either.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ok...dumb question time :rolleyes:....
Do you want it compensated or not and why?
What does this mean :???:..I await your answer "O carrier of the Glock" :) 8)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thunk U...... :-[ "O Carrier of Many Guns" :guns: :shooter: :devil:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thought a compensator was some big heavy thing found on the end of the gun so limp wristed people could get back on sight quicker. Or keep it down on full auto. :???:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An added compensator will add weight; I was just referring to the firearm being compensated or ported where there are cuts/chambers directly in the barrel and/or slide.

·
32,658 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
This is a Good Read to the end...<:)) about half way down the page it gets into Porting... It seems to say Yes to porting...

Some Magnums Jack-Badly, and porting could make for a Quick effective Double-Tap...<:))

My .45 1911 has a extra 1" long barrel, and is Ported, and it keeps the Barrel down, and less recoil, making it vary easy (fast) to retarget the Laser for each consecutive shot... I have never shot a +P in my .45...

TOTAL TITANIUM TAURUS
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-61620970.html

My Ported .45
http://tinyurl.com/36w3vu

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Never had any of my duty guns ported and I don't feel the need to have my current carry firearms ported. Like 7-UP---Never Had It, Never Will.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I wouldn't have porting on a gun primarily for carry as I don't want the possible drawbacks and don't need it to handle the recoil (grips I will change). The only time I might have a ported gun for carry would be if I was using a ported 44 mag (which I don't currently own) as a carry gun but I highly doubt it would be anywhere near the top of the carry rotation list unless I move much farther north or west. ;D

Steelheart

·
Registered
128 Posts
While pieces of powder, etc. can splatter out of ported handguns I like them and wouldn't hesitate in most cases to carry one for personal protection. Low light muzzle flash might change my mind but in a SD situation I wouldn't care if it didn't impact my vision.

The biggest problem I have is the extra cleaning they require.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The biggest problem I have is the extra cleaning they require.

My Tracker is pretty easy to clean, allthough I have some tiny brushes that i use for cleaning my spray guns :evil:...

It is amazing how dirty the ports get after shooting :rolleyes:

Some Magnums Jack-Badly, and porting could make for a Quick effective Double-Tap...<:))

is double tap only for auto's or is it the same as shooting double action.... :???:

BTW... Sgt..that is one cool 1911 ;D ;D...
(The more 1911s i see, the more i miss mine..Dang it)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wouldn't and only because of the smaller calibs. I carry for CCW. But as I say this I do keep my Tracker 4" beside my bed. I figure even if I miss and they get me the muzzle flash will make at least clean their britches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts