Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have owned both, can you give some pros and cons of the Spectrum over the PT738? I am considering buying the Spectrum, but if it is not a better .380 than the TCP, I will not do so.
Thanks for the help.

Jim, Las Vegas

·
Registered
401 Posts
Waving HI to a fellow Las Vegan!!!! Jim...I just found the overall design better fitting to my chubby hands. My 738 is less than 6 months old but my daughter made out....she got it and bunch of my old range gear when I bought my Spectrum. I found Spectrum online for $219 and it was shipped to Green Valley Range within 2 days. Love my Spectrum!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently own both and am still trying to decide which I like most. The trigger pull is much smoother and lighter on the 738 TCP. The TCP is slightly smaller and narrower. The slide inserts on the Spectrum get a little too slick with sweaty hands or if you get oil on them (which I did). My Spectrum seems a little more pleasant to shoot. I like the idea of the true DOA operation of the Spectrum. I also like the feel when using the 7 round magazine. At this point, I am leaning toward favoring the Spectrum.

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
ahh--umm?? isn't the TCP also a DAO?
as the trigger raises the hammer to full cock and then drops it there is no single action I don't think, surely not if the false trigger reset gets you.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
Have not shot the Spectrum, but like how it feels over the TCP that I have been carrying for 7 years.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
ahh--umm?? isn't the TCP also a DAO?
as the trigger raises the hammer to full cock and then drops it there is no single action I don't think, surely not if the false trigger reset gets you.
I think they meant double strike, perhaps? That is one definite advantage that the Spectrum has over the TCP - Double strike capability. You are, of course, correct in the actual statement - both are DAO :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I realized that both are considered DOA. When I said "true DAO" I meant there is no "pre-cock" on the striker - hence, second (third, fourth, etc,) strike capability. And that the striker is at "full rest" while loaded (and one in the chamber) when it is in my pocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts