Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've had the Beretta Pico for awhile I thought it might be fun to compare it to the very similar Ruger LCP. In this case, both pistols were bought within 6 months of each other, from the same LGS and at exactly the same price.

Both are the most recent iteration of the model.

Both were bought new.

Both were on sale at $199.99.

Both are 380acp.

Both hold 6 + 1 rounds.

They are almost identical in size with the Pico slightly skinnier.

The Pico with the mag inserted but no ammo weighs just over 11 ounces while the LCP under the same conditions weighs just under 10 ounces.

The Ruger LCP comes with a nice little pocket holster but only one magazine while the Beretta Pico comes with a zipper folder and a second magazine.

The Pico locks open on an empty magazine while the LCP does not. Also the magazine release on the Pico is ambidextrous while the one on the LCP is left side only. Both mags drop free on release but the LCP hits a stop on insert while the Beretta does not. The Beretta magazine is much easier to seat than the one on the LCP.

Fortunately the LCP is much easier to rack the slide than on the Pico.

Not even a hole to allow mag release on this side:​

While we are still on the subject of magazines, they both do have witness holes on both left and right sides to check rounds remaining. The Ruger mag also has round numbers stamped while the Pico assumes you can count empty holes.

Nether the LCP or the Pico have the dread magazine safety so it's possible to do a hot swap and fire the one in the chamber even if the magazine is removed.

Shooting at the designed distances the two are also pretty similar but the sights on the LCP can only be called such things charitably. I'm not sure it's possible to make less useful sights than what are on the LCP. The Beretta Pico though comes with real, adjustable sights designed for simple owner maintenance, adjustment and replacement. Once you start shooting out beyond 7 yards or so the better sights on the Pico really make a difference. Since that's not what the guns were designed for it's not quite as big an issue, but it is significant.

So how do the two differ?

The big elephant in the room has to be the fact that the Beretta Pico is a true double action pistol with second strike capability. Also the slide locking back on an empty mag definitely makes a difference.

The length of the LCP grip makes it possible for me to get two full fingers on the handle while with the flat base mag of the Pico it's a finger and a half. A smaller padded extension as found on the LCP magazine would really help the Pico.

The field strip procedure on the Pico is light years ahead of that on the LCP. Needing a screw driver to pry out a pin is simply not as easy as just turning the post. Once you get past that point though everything is pretty much the same.

I fit and finish the Pico definitely is way beyond the LCP. The mold lines on the LCP trigger and trigger guard needed major work before they stopped hurting my fingers. Some 400 grit Wet or Dry sand paper and few minutes or so work took care of the problem. That's not a unique problem to Ruger, I have had to do that on polymer framed guns from Taurus and Charter Arms as well. While there is a noticeable mold line on the Beretta frame it is so minor I have not bothered trying to address it. Maybe now that we are in Bowl season I'll give it a touch up job too.

Here are some images of the two sets of sights. The ones on the Beretta are milled and slotted and held in place by a .050 Allen screw while on the Ruger they are fixed and part of the slide itself.

One other really nice feature is that the gun itself is a modular unit where you can swap frames (and hopefully barrels as well in the future. Would love to see a 32acp option). The task takes about a minute and requires no tools. Here is the same gun with a different frame and the Custom Limited Edtion Dremel magazine.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Nice job.

I've read a few comparisons (I've only been studying guns for about a year) and this is by far one of the most comprehensive.

So why the two guns? Did you buy one and weren't satisfied or do you just like small pistols?

·
9,107 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job.

I've read a few comparisons (I've only been studying guns for about a year) and this is by far one of the most comprehensive.

So why the two guns? Did you buy one and weren't satisfied or do you just like small pistols?
Actually, I like small handguns. Lots of snubbies, lots of smaller pistols; the two in this case were on sale at what I considered silly silly prices so I bought them. But I then used them for awhile before trying to review them.

Neither is quite as accurate as other 380s I have or had, but these two are significantly smaller. They really do simply disappear in a pocket. My life with small handguns began well over a half century ago and over the decades there have been many that were great but also lots that simply were horrid.
There was a little girl
who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.

And when she was good
she was very very good,
but when she was bad she was horrid!

These two handguns are kinda like the first verse. I've had three earlier Beretta 380s, a 1934 (maybe my favorite all time 380), a 70 (okay but not quite as reliable as the 1934 was) and an 85F. They were all very good. I have a Sig 230 (certainly my current favorite 380), a Walther PPK (horrid, total slice-o-matic) and like a few I've forgotten to mention. Also a bunch of small caliber pistols in 25 and 32, some even smaller than these two.

But for primary carry I still prefer a revolver. Oh yeah, some Spanish NoNami 380 that was a copy of the Walther, at least in the ads. HORRID!

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
You do know that the LCP II has been out for a while and the LCP is not the most recent.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Great comparison with just enough detail to boot. A few years back I could see no reason for a .380 caliber pistol in my rotation and sold a few (PT58, PT938, Bersa) for such an incorrect mindset.

Now, I have changed my mind due to size and available ammunition selections. The first to join back into rotation was a GLOCK 42, next was a Beretta Pico. I researched the Pico until I was blue in the face. It was the size, no snag design, weight, and features such as 2nd magazine and zippered case that finally won over my wallet. Speaking of wallet, the price was right and the rebate made it even better.

I was so impressed with the Pico that I ended up purchasing a Nano which is the slightly larger almost carbon copy of the Pico but in 9mm.

A few weeks back I ventured onto another pistol that I said that I would never own or even consider owning. That was the Taurus Curve. Of course never say never because it has a way of making you eat your words. In this case I have had to eat those words twice now. What seemed to be at face value a gimmick choice of firearm in fact turned out to be another poly winner in the conceal carry or BUG arena. The curvature of the Taurus Curve actually does make it hug your waist line or leg contour if pocket carried. Same can be said as to the curvature if rear pocket carried. I purchased the Taurus Curve with the laser/flashlight, slide pocket clip and lanyard trigger guard holster. The fact that it comes with a second magazine is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I got somewhat wordy and off topic, sorry about that. Again I appreciate your taking the time to review the Beretta and Ruger side by side.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Hey, it's me again. I forgot to mention that I loved what you did to alter the extended magazine on the Pico. Now I have a new project to do.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do know that the LCP II has been out for a while and the LCP is not the most recent.
LOL

But you do known that the LCP II is not the LCP. And the thread is comparing the most recent Pico and the most recent LCP.

I have tried to like the LCP II but honestly it falls into the "Not even if they paid me to take it" category. Great for them what like it but simply not for me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great comparison with just enough detail to boot. A few years back I could see no reason for a .380 caliber pistol in my rotation and sold a few (PT58, PT938, Bersa) for such an incorrect mindset.

Now, I have changed my mind due to size and available ammunition selections. The first to join back into rotation was a GLOCK 42, next was a Beretta Pico. I researched the Pico until I was blue in the face. It was the size, no snag design, weight, and features such as 2nd magazine and zippered case that finally won over my wallet. Speaking of wallet, the price was right and the rebate made it even better.

I was so impressed with the Pico that I ended up purchasing a Nano which is the slightly larger almost carbon copy of the Pico but in 9mm.

A few weeks back I ventured onto another pistol that I said that I would never own or even consider owning. That was the Taurus Curve. Of course never say never because it has a way of making you eat your words. In this case I have had to eat those words twice now. What seemed to be at face value a gimmick choice of firearm in fact turned out to be another poly winner in the conceal carry or BUG arena. The curvature of the Taurus Curve actually does make it hug your waist line or leg contour if pocket carried. Same can be said as to the curvature if rear pocket carried. I purchased the Taurus Curve with the laser/flashlight, slide pocket clip and lanyard trigger guard holster. The fact that it comes with a second magazine is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I got somewhat wordy and off topic, sorry about that. Again I appreciate your taking the time to review the Beretta and Ruger side by side.
Actually the Taurus Spectrum and Curve were both really in the running before choosing the Pico. The Spectrum is striker fired which I simply do not like and so it was out and did not even get a start. The Curve looks interesting but I'm not a fan of laser dots or lights in guns but at least it is hammered.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Actually the Taurus Spectrum and Curve were both really in the running before choosing the Pico. The Spectrum is striker fired which I simply do not like and so it was out and did not even get a start. The Curve looks interesting but I'm not a fan of laser dots or lights in guns but at least it is hammered.
I'm not a big fan of the light or laser on firearms myself. However, in this case, the addition of the light/laser do not change the size, shape or near snag proof design of the standard model Curve. However, the sights of the Curve are somewhat uncommon to use in daylight and would be worthless in the dark so the addition of the laser/light justify the extra $20 cost in my mind. The laser/light is turned on/off with the quick push of a button forward of the trigger guard. It can also be set to come on automatically when the pistol is removed from the lanyard trigger guard holster.

This last Curve that I purchased cost me $219.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
LOL

But you do known that the LCP II is not the LCP. And the thread is comparing the most recent Pico and the most recent LCP.

I have tried to like the LCP II but honestly it falls into the "Not even if they paid me to take it" category. Great for them what like it but simply not for me.
I get your point but the LCP II is the most recent iteration of the LCP line. It's like saying the '65 Impala is not the '66 Impala BUT the '66 Impala is the latest interation of the Impala line.
It's just semantics I guess.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do such a comparison. I unlike you am not a big fan of mouse guns. I own an LCP with the extra extended magazine, which makes it easier to get a good grip on the gun, but of the handguns I own, it is the most unpleasant to shoot. OTOH, I bought my wife a PPK and she loves it! Yes, if I shoot it and don't adjust my grip, it will slice my ape like thumb knuckle. Still if I grip the gun so my thumb knuckle is out of the way, it is an easy shooting gun and very accurate, and it's a perfect fits for my wife's smaller hands. Gun Airsoft gun Trigger Auto part Carbon

·
Registered
541 Posts
I get your point but the LCP II is the most recent iteration of the LCP line. It's like saying the '65 Impala is not the '66 Impala BUT the '66 Impala is the latest interation of the Impala line.
It's just semantics I guess.
I'll jump in and have to say I disagree with this. In the case of the Impala, the '66 was a direct REPLACEMENT for the '65. Once the '66 started production, the '65 was, no more, so yes, the '66 WAS the latest iteration of the Impala line. The LCP and LCPII are two very different guns. They have almost nothing in common other than being similar in size, and having a similar name. The frames are different, the slides are different, the magazines are different......all made with different tooling. Both the LCP and LCPII have been in concurrent production for quite some time. Therefore I would say if someone has the latest iteration of the LCP, that is not the LCPII. Not arguing here, just making a counterpoint in perspective. Either way, it's all good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll jump in and have to say I disagree with this. In the case of the Impala, the '66 was a direct REPLACEMENT for the '65. Once the '66 started production, the '65 was, no more, so yes, the '66 WAS the latest iteration of the Impala line. The LCP and LCPII are two very different guns. They have almost nothing in common other than being similar in size, and having a similar name. The frames are different, the slides are different, the magazines are different......all made with different tooling. Both the LCP and LCPII have been in concurrent production for quite some time. Therefore I would say if someone has the latest iteration of the LCP, that is not the LCPII. Not arguing here, just making a counterpoint in perspective. Either way, it's all good.
Another example was that General Motors often made the same car under a variety of names (of course GM would never do that today), but a Camaro was not a Firebird and the basic Firebird was not a Trans-Am.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Point taken. And explained clearly and concisely. I can accept that. And since the LCP is still in production and general release during the intro and release of the LCP II, a point that I really can't dispute at the moment. But give me a day or two, I'll try to come up with something! :)

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
That's quite informative. I've seen LCP's and LCPII's (both new) for sale, and just assumed the LCP's were old stock. I did not know they were both in production. I guess I'm used to Taurus discontinuing lines every few minutes and just assumed the LCPII replaced the LCP.

Thanks for that lesson!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Point taken. And explained clearly and concisely. I can accept that. And since the LCP is still in production and general release during the intro and release of the LCP II, a point that I really can't dispute at the moment. But give me a day or two, I'll try to come up with something! :)
I LIKE the way you think, sir! Well done!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts