Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am expecting a pretty good lump of cash around January 15th and I've decided to spend some of it on a gun. I have two guns that I am considering and what I'm looking for is someone who has owned one or both of them that can give me a comparison or tell me why they like one or the other better. While I have two guns in mind I am not against other suggestions. My budget is between $1500 and $2,000 and I want a 1911.

The two guns are a Colt and a Dan Wesson. I already own 3 Colt 1911s and If I buy a colt it will be a stainless Gold Cup trophy. I don't have a particular model of Dan Wesson in mind yet but I do want stainless. I know the Dan Wessons are made under the CZ name and I have no experience with a Dan Wesson semi-auto. I don't know anyone who has a Dan Wesson that I can shoot myself.

If anyone has any experience with these guns I would appreciate if you would share it

Don

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Between Colt and Dan Wesson, I'll go with Dan Wesson every time.
Oh yeah, I own both.
Why do you prefer the Dan Wesson? What model is it? And I am assuming it's a 45 ACP?

Don

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Why do you prefer the Dan Wesson? What model is it? And I am assuming it's a 45 ACP?

Don
The fit and finish is superior to Colt. IMO, Colt has been riding on their name for a period of time.
Going back to Dan Wesson, You're getting something that is very close to a custom 1911. It's not going to be an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom, but it'll compete with some of those I mentioned. Try to compare them side by side, I think Dan Wesson will hold its own.

Dan Wesson Products Archive - Dan Wesson

I have a Dan Wesson CBob, which they brought back by demand. I have a couple of Colts, but compare the Mark IV to the CBob and it's not close.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Between Colt and Dan Wesson, I'll go with Dan Wesson every time.
Oh yeah, I own both.

Ditto!
and I also own both !
in my opinion the Dan Wesson is about the best just under custom 1911 out there, it fills a nice lil gap between factory guns and pure custom guns very nicely.
I am not sure that I have ever met a DW that I didn't like.
plenty of models to choose from and calibers as well.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I do appreciate the opinions that have been voiced and to be honest I'm a little surprised that the Dan Wesson is preferred over the Colt as much as they are.

I have done this past week a bit of research into quality and fit and finish problems being on the upswing with the Colt 1911s. I have not seen much of anything that reports the Gold Cup trophy to be anything but top of the line. The Colt 1911s that I already have have been very nice firearms but I don't imagine they are at the same level as the Gold Cup trophy.

To be completely Fair I guess I need more Hands-On time with the Dan Wessons before I make my decision. I think right now I am leaning toward the Gold Cup.

Don

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have a Colt and want Dan Wesson!

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
I don't have either and want a Dan Wesson!

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Dan Wesson 1911's are very good pistols but between the two you are thinking about I would go with the Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Yeah if you were talking about the average $800-$1000 Colt then yes I would go with a Dan Wesson.

Also you want stainless, Dan Wesson had a problem with galling in their stainless pistols, I do believe they have corrected that issue.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I have two Colts, both series 70 pistols, one a 1943 and the other modern. The Dan Wesson pistol i have is a V-Bob. For fit and finish the Dan Wesson has it over the Colts. All three are very reliable. If I had to keep just one it would be the Dan Wesson.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems I've added another 1911 to the mix. At the range today another shooter let me put 50 rounds through his Coonan and I enjoyed it a lot. It was stainless, which is one of the things I'm looking for, fit and finish were very nice, and the adjustable sights help the gun to make me very accurate.

He had two of them, a 45 and a 357, I shot about 25 rounds through the 357 and 50 rounds through the 45. I believe the 45 just felt better in my hands.

I might not get through this endeavor without buying more than one gun!

Don

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I have Colt and Dan Wesson 1911's.Would be hard pressed to sell either.If I were to buy a Colt I would be looking a Gold Cup most likely.
Different animals altogether but equally loved. 38 super lightweight commander and .45 bobtail.

Gun Revolver Airsoft gun Trigger Air gun Gun Starting pistol Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

·
Registered
73 Posts
The fit and finish is superior to Colt. IMO, Colt has been riding on their name for a period of time.
Going back to Dan Wesson, You're getting something that is very close to a custom 1911. It's not going to be an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom, but it'll compete with some of those I mentioned. Try to compare them side by side, I think Dan Wesson will hold its own.

Dan Wesson Products Archive - Dan Wesson

I have a Dan Wesson CBob, which they brought back by demand. I have a couple of Colts, but compare the Mark IV to the CBob and it's not close.
Agree....Colt isn't the same Colt anymore. Dan Wesson is in a separate, superior category.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If you are going to compare Colt to DW you have to compare the Gold Cup Trophy or the Special Combat models.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
agreed , you need to try to compare like models--the problem is that generally the bottom Line Colt is very close to a Dan Wesson in price which in MY opinion is a better made weapon than the begginer line of colts.
Colt seems to hold resale value better than most any 1911 but a lot of that is because many people only know the Colt in 1911's.
I have a very, very accurate and well made Colt Combat Elite that's a dream to shoot but its not an entry level 1911 Colt either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts