Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been covered here before, but does anyone have any credible information as to Taurus offering a 1911 in Commander or Officers models?

·
Super Moderator
36,800 Posts
My gut tells me that they would sell a lot of them (or is that the beans I had for dinner? :D ).

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I had chili with beans tonight, and I'm getting the same gut feeling. :eek:

But seriously, I imagine that Taurus would do well in sales of a 1911 Officer's Model, should they ever decide to put one on the market.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Would it be cool if they did, of course it would. But given that alot of their guns have been discontinued and entire lines are being slashed, there probably won't be any commander sizes for a good while if ever. At the moment there isn't alot of focus in their lines outside of the TCP and 1911's. The 92's will stick around because that's the gun that helped rebuild themselves through the 80's & 90's.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I read an article that said yes, all flavors of the 1911 is coming out, I will try to find it, it was an interview with the CEO of taurus.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I haven't seen one in my area, but RIA has one and I ran 50 rnds through one at the range a few weeks ago, sweet... Price is right too.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Is the commander smaller than the officer?
NO. Generally ref the barrel length ie. Commander = 4.25" and Officer = 3 - 3.5", with a shorter ie. 6 vs 7 (or 8 ) shot grip length as well. I have the Metro / AC Amigo on order, it has 3.5" barrel and 7 shot grip. I'm hoping that with a magwell and arched MSH it will be interchangeable with my 8 shot mags, and shoot as well as my PT1911. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would buy a Commander length Taurus PT-1911. I have a stainless Pt-1911 right now in .38 Super, and once owned a blue .45 ACP PT-1911. They both are/were reliable 1911s. I really liked the features that come on their 1911s.

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
Is the commander smaller than the officer?
only the top end of a commander is smaller than a regular governement model, the barrel and slide, the frame and bottom end are the same.
when you go to an officers size then you get a different top end and bottom end from the commander, both being shorter and more compact and much smaller than a Governmanet model.
maintenenace/function problems typically goes up when you reduce the sizes as well, especially in the officer sized weapons.

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
I read an article that said yes, all flavors of the 1911 is coming out, I will try to find it, it was an interview with the CEO of taurus.
Yes, Yes indeed, i think that was the same article where the CEO was talking about the extended magazines for the 738 and 709 wasn't it??--GRiiiN.

·
Registered
45 Posts
only the top end of a commander is smaller than a regular governement model, the barrel and slide, the frame and bottom end are the same.
when you go to an officers size then you get a different top end and bottom end from the commander, both being shorter and more compact and much smaller than a Governmanet model.
maintenenace/function problems typically goes up when you reduce the sizes as well, especially in the officer sized weapons.

I wonder if there is any difference reliability-wise from the 5" to the 4.25" commander at this point. I like the idea of the CCO with the commander slide and officer's height.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If they do start making these guns I hope they make a light weight in the commander size. I owned a Colt Light Weight Nickeled Commander for many years or until it was stolen. I loved that gun and it saved my bacon twice.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i wonder how many times this has been asked, get an rock island , could not keep waiting and dreaming of a future taurus product that will probley never happen

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I wonder if there is any difference reliability-wise from the 5" to the 4.25" commander at this point. I like the idea of the CCO with the commander slide and officer's height.
olfarhors can give you a doctoral thesis on the issue, but I'll try to keep it simple... :D

In a word "NO". Since the only effective difference is a 3/4" shorter barrel, all other parts being equal, they would be just as reliable. From my research, (I have an Officer's model ordered), the problems generally start when you work on a smaller platform with tighter tolerances, like the Officer size. Since I can't wait for Taurus, I have a Metro Arms / Amigo on its way in a couple weeks. I'll let everyone know how it compares with the PT1911-SS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NO. Generally ref the barrel length ie. Commander = 4.25" and Officer = 3 - 3.5", with a shorter ie. 6 vs 7 (or 8 ) shot grip length as well. I have the Metro / AC Amigo on order, it has 3.5" barrel and 7 shot grip. I'm hoping that with a magwell and arched MSH it will be interchangeable with my 8 shot mags, and shoot as well as my PT1911. :)
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for that Metro? I have been looking at their Firestorm Commander, but I can't seem to find an American price list or any east coast dealers.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for that Metro? I have been looking at their Firestorm Commander, but I can't seem to find an American price list or any east coast dealers.
Welcome Aboard, and Greetings from Ft Worth, Tx.

No, I don't mind sharing... Put it on lay-away at Bud's for $472, just before the holidays, and should get it shipped next week. I don't recall the exact price, but the Commander is usually a bit le$$. Paying a 'premium' for the compact. I've looked at the Cmdr, and like it too, but for carry, I don't see any real dif between 4.25 and 5".

P.S.
Almost forgot to mention, that ATI (American Tactical Imports) also has the Titan. I looked at both and was torn. Basically came down to a coin toss. I liked the grip better on the ATI, because the base of the trigger guard is undercut, but liked the sights better on the Amigo. If Taurus doesn't hurry up, I'll have the Metro Cmndr and ATI Titan both, and be too broke to buy ANOTHER Taurus. :D

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
If they do start making these guns I hope they make a light weight in the commander size. I owned a Colt Light Weight Nickeled Commander for many years or until it was stolen. I loved that gun and it saved my bacon twice.
I like Greenwolfs idea of making a commander size slide and then utilize the frame from the PT1911AL, makes a lot of sense to me!
I would imagine that you would end up with a weapon that would save 7-9 ounces over the weight of a full sized 1911, you would have good capacity, should be able to prodcue it for the same about price as current PT's.
Put a good blue job on the slide and then the aluminum brushed frame would look great!
maybe a set of trijicon night sights, and /or a set of adjustable sights as options??
Kind of like this , but shorter!
And a wholoe lot "CHEAPER"-LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts