Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All -

I've been reading theses forums for about a week - ever since I ordered my PT1911 SS (arrives this weekend), but decided to introduce myself beforehand to get some reassurances. Anyone care to eradicate my doubts?

Before I found this forum, I was very revved up about getting this, my first 1911. My son-in-law & daughter own one (sometimes, she lets him shoot it if he asks nice - heh) and I got to spend a little time shooting it. I was very, very impressed, and even sold my Glock 27 to take some budgetaqry sting out of the purchase. Loved the way it felt, and compared to the Glock, it had the recoil of a .22.

Now, after reading the seemingly endless horror stories about Taurus' customer service, and the voluminous amount of threads/posts about all the modifications, I am seriously wondering what I stepped into.

Is the Taurus (or any other brand for that matter) 1911 basically seen as a gun for amatuer gunsmiths? Do I need my own machine shop to own one, or should I just plan on either driving my handy son-in-law crazy, or having a gunsmith on retainer? :confused:

When I ordered the gun, I had planned on getting a pair of RAASCO Grips and Novak Tritium night sights (I live about 30 minutes from their headquarters, so no shipping fees on that one - heh!), but that was about it. Apparently, I will ALSO have to get a new barrel bushing (didn't even know what that was until I read it in these forums, and Googled it), a new Safety is highly recommended by most here, as well as magazines that feed and operate better than the factory ones included. Because of what I read here, I bought a Kimber 8-rd. mag, as well as a Chip McCormick, and will see which one works better.

Anyway - WOW - I actually expected this to be a great firearm for the price that I could pretty much just go from the box to the range (we built one here on the farm, so at least gas isn't an issue) and start enjoying.

Now? I am actually worried that I've made a mistake, that I should have opted for maybe a Glock Model 21, or a more expensive Colt 1911, for all the dough I'll be pumping into this one. Hell, I noticed one member actually went off on a guy who had just went through the dew, so to speak, over his PT1911, and told him to "...buy a Glock, and leave the 1911's to real shooters..." - seriously? Though he apologized for sounding like an ass in a later post, still, comments like that make me wonder why I would need to go to gunsmith school to own a pistol.

By all means, feel free to disspell my fears....that, or make me an offer on the brand new one I just bought, because I am really not enthused about being either tossed into the apparent abyss of Taurus' Customer Service Hell, or to double the money I have in buying it just to get it to shoot correctly.

All that said, I have really, really enjoyed reading the forums here, and hope I wind up with good reason to hang around. Thanks to everyone for the education.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Man, don't you worry!!! You made the best purchase in your firearm buying history, just go get it and enjoy it, do not make your life hard and think negative...the gun is great.

·
22,058 Posts
I have 2 1911's. The same one you ordered and a Springfield Loaded.

The SA was around $800.00 and added a couple hundred bucks of mods.

The PT1911SS is basically as it came with the exception of the Wolf main spring.

The PT1911 shoots much better the the SA.

Oh and welcome from Griffin Ga.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Welcome from north central ohio and don't worry about your purchase. I bought my pt1911 3 years ago and love the gun. You made a wise choice, grasshopper.

·
Super Moderator
40,610 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! I have two of the PT1911s and they are the sweetest shooters out of my arsenal. Highly accurate and trouble free.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
What they all said! ^^^^^

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Mine has been perfect straight out of the box.

And Keep in mind, People who are not pleased with a product or service tend to preach to whatever audience that can be found....which the internet helps to provide a mass audience.

People who are pleased with a purchase or service received tend to go on about their business without any fanfare...after all, they received what should have been taken for granted.

Don't allow the Naysayers spoil your expectations, joy and pleasure of owning a fine purchase.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What you witnessed on the other forum may have been a case of gun snobbery and Taurusphobia. It's a typical reaction for those who spend more than they need to on a firearm that doesn't perform any better than the more economically priced Taurus. Many of these detractors have never shot a Taurus, let alone owned one. They rely on hearsay, innuendo and folklore to mold their opinions instead of hands on experience.

While Taurus may have had issues in the past, they have greatly improved their quality and completely stand behind their products, as evidenced by their lifetime warranty - for the life of the gun, not just for the original owner. Enjoy your PT1911 and customize it to your personal taste. You won't regret the purchase.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central IA

I have a pt1911 with raasco's on it.

That's the only mod I've made to it! Seriously only one!

It shoots better than I can and has been 100% reliable through ~1200 rounds in 2 years of ownership. I only wish I could afford to shoot it more!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
8b46629d.jpg Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web.

Don't run to meet trouble. You have made a wise choice. The Taurus PT1911 puts many of the most wanted modifications right into the gun before they ship it. I can understand changing grips and maybe sights. Shoot it for a while and I'll bet you fall in love with it just the way it comes out of the box. And, of all the guns Taurus makes, a very small percentage of them require contact with customer service. I just got my PT1911 last week and it's the best gun I have ever shot. Good luck. :guns:

IMG050.jpg
8b46629d.jpg

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums. And as far as horror stories, remember this - a satisfied customer on average will tell one person. A dissatisfied customer will tell everyone they know. Rest assured for every complaint you read, there are many, many more who are happy as clams. Clams are just quiet is all. :D

·
Super Moderator
36,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! You will not find a better 1911 with all of the features that the Pt 1911 SS will have coming out of the box. I have over 7000 rounds over three years with mine and the only parts I've had to put on it was a new recoil spring. The rest of the mods, and they are not many, were added because they it is the pistol design with the most modification possible. Back in the early 60's the young ones had a choice, keep that '57 Bel Air stock...or.... ?

the best advice was above. Shoot it for a while and let it speak to you. Don't fix what isn't broken. Here's mine with the Pachmyr ALS grips and then with the S & A magwell and Caspian grips I installed a few months ago.

PT1911 C.jpg
PT1911 C4.JPG

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, just relax and enjoy your new gun. I do not own a 1911 but if they were as poor of a handgun as some people led you to believe, they would not be selling as many as they do and the 1911 forum would not be as large as it is. So far every Taurus I have owned has impressed me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts