Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i am new here and all i read about is .45 . 45 .45! ;D LoL What about the .40? Is the millenium pt 140 good? I ask because this is the gun i plan on buying in the next week or two. I came from a line of Glock users and revolvers and its great. I love the Glock i use now but the thing is the whole safety lock issue and just don't feel comfortable knowing that. I know proper care and handling will eliminate that risk but i plan on using it for CCW and its a thought in my head. I use a .38 now for ccw. I went to a gun range, used a millenium and fell in love. The owner had nothing but great things to say about it and i was excited. But i yet to hear or find reviews on the .40 I know the Glock is a popular brand but what about the pt140? should i steer to a .45?

So can any of you help out? Is the 40 just not popular among the taurus fam? I plan on using for CCW and just want to know a little more. anything will help

Thank You in Advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just purchased a used .40 2 weeks ago at a gun show.... So far i have shot close to 200 rounds and i'm very happy, especially for the price i paid. I figure i'll put another 100 to 150 rounds through it, then it will become my new best friend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the mill pr 40 and Ilove it the recoil is not as much with the pro as it is with the glock Ihave shot over 600hundred rounds with out a hitch in mho the mill pro is right up there with glock and other quality fire arms Ihope this helps and you have a great day

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think most choose the 45 over the 40 because they have the same capacity and the size difference is so small you cant really tell when you pick one up and then the other. I feel better carrying 10+1 of 45acp verses 10+1 of .40 in the same size package. Thats just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 40cal is very popular here in the USA, not much overseas. I like the cartridge but have no use for it, which is a personal choice. The 45cal in nearly any pistol, but mostly the 1911's carries a certain mystic about it and when people think power they think 45cal. Even more now then in the past because of high capacity weapons like MPanova was refer too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i was thinking about the 45 as well, but i found such a good deal on the 40 that i couldn't pass it up. I'm completely happy so far. I may pick up a 45 at a later date, right now i got my eye on a .454 or 44 mag.....:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank you all for the responses! I'm glad to see many .40 users, i will be happy when the one i bought arrives!

·
Registered
84 Posts
DaWolf,
If you are in FL I have one I'll sell you for $240. It is the 3rd generation, on it's second recoil spring assembly (I am waiting with baited breath for the new assembly with the metal washer), about 1k rounds through it and it is a beautiful gun. For $60 more, I'll throw in 4 various holsters. It comes with the box, brush, keys, manual, 2 mags, etc. It has the lifetime warrantee.
I like the gun as it has great ergos, is light, very small, accurate and very little recoil just don't trust it for CCW use which is why I bought it. I am sure when it gets the new washer it will not be an issue.
If interested let me know.
If not, before you buy a PT140MilPro, break it down and check the assembly first to make sure you aren't getting the early version which many people have had an issue with.

·
32,706 Posts
I just love a good .40 S&W versus .45 ACP fight. Can I sell the refreshments? :)
While in jest,as both are excellent cartridges, there are enough things to have to look over before going with one or the other.

.40 S&W caliber cartridges come in three basic flavors.
Standard 180 gr. JHPs move at sedate, but good speeds and are equivalent to a .45ACP 185 gr.JHP or a 200 gr.one. Not much difference overall.

Then there are the high speed and high intensity mid level weight rounds. Usually in the 155-165 range. Snappier, somewhat harsher recoil. More so than for the 180 grain bullets.
Not terrible. Shooting technique and practice will take care of that. Also better fight stoppers than the 180gr. bullets. At least real world street fight data seem to bear that out. Not totally superior, but have enough of an edge to be considered.

There used to be sedate 155-165gr. bullet loads, but the ammo makers have done away with those for the most part.

High intensity 135gr. JHP screamers. :) Probably best for those who face overpenetration factors in dwellings or for civilian use.

Operating pressures of the .40 S&W are above those of the .45ACP. For safety,reloading,and operating reasons this needs to be considered.

.45ACP has the standard pressure loads JHP that are excellent performers in real world fights. 230 gr.JHP for the most part are the go to round.
Need a little more speed, but don't need or want increased recoil. There are the 185gr.-200gr. JHPs that will get the job done... and well.

Feel the need for speed? There are 185-230grain JHPs in the +P category. Potent stoppers, but come with a price. No free lunches with the high speed heavy bullet crowd.

Increased muzzle flash and recoil. Shorter shot to shot recovery.Batters the gun frame and internal parts more than the standard pressure loads do. Also fatigues the user. Yes, more powerful recoil springs can be inserted to deal with this to a point.
+P is a case of minimal gain in performance for increased handicaps in shorty barreled guns.Longer barreled pistols(4 inches and up) give +P an edge when needed. If needed.

All of these have tactical implications to consider. Especially in low light situations or where there are multiple attackers. Can't predict how a fight is going to go,where, or how many will be there. Too many vagaries can enter the picture.

None of the above is written in stone and there are exceptions. These things do need to be considered.
While all this may be obvious to a lot of people this has to all be looked at by anyone considering either cartridge.

I'm a 9x19 man by trade. Cheaper than the other two cartridges to shoot and less recoil. Still gives a excellent real world record level of defense despite "conventional widsom" to the contrary.Conventional wisdom is not always wise. Do have a .45ACP pistol, but the 9mm. gets most of the use. Just a personal choice.

However, with all that said, these are all great rounds in their own right. The users of these cartridges have all made excellent choices. Will not disparage a cartridge or it's user.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agreed Qwiks. I use the 155gr Rangers out of the MilPro because of the speed generated out of the shorter barrel. I can definitely tell how much snappier it is than a 180gr round. It is important to get lots of range time in with the 155gr rounds if that's what you will be using.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i found a Range really close to the house and i will be going there a lot once i get the 40 and spend time getting to know it and types of rounds.

A question! coming from a Glock 4O and using hallow tips, what ammo or rounds should i start or be a good round to start with for the PT140?

oh and also Shadow, check your Messages. thanks again

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dawolf, back to your original question of the Pt140. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but the .40 & .45 are about identical besides the caliber. So, if you are looking for a review of the pistol (your post doesn't seem to be asking for us to decide the caliber for you), you can pretty much follow what they say about the .45.

Shadow posted good info since it sounds like you are getting a used one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh No King i am buying a brand new one, but I wanted to know a little more about it from actual owners then some magazine articles. I was just curious because all i saw was talk about the .45 and i am purchasing a .40. So i was wondering if the .40 was not popular for a reason but from what i read, it actually is and i guess it all comes down to me. But i do appreciate the feedback and anything else i can look for when purchasing my pt140. This has been a great reading everyones thoughts. It helps with my decision a lot better. Thanks again

·
32,706 Posts
We as staff and members here at this forum can assume nothing when writing replies unless all the info on an individual is known.

Since knowing everything about someone would be impossible to accumulate a lot of general data is going to be written by responders to questions or queries. Just something that naturally occurs.
So if our responses seemed a little long that's because there's a lot of territory to cover. :D ;) :) ;D
Everyone's glad to participate and help out or just join in the discussion. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
DaWolf, I just went ou today and got a new PT 140 PRO SS 3rd generation in the .40. I am going to shoot it tomorrow I'll let you know how it does. I own the 24/7 pro SS in a .40 and love it and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have read a lot about people preferring the .40 over the .45 out of the shorter compact barrels due to the speed generated and penetration ability. I personally feel that either will do the job just fine and I never feel underpowered with the .40.
I did speak with Taurus CS Friday and they mentioned my new assembly with washer should be on the way. If I decide to keep this gun, I am going to put new sights on it, probably 3 dot night sights however right now I am leaning towards getting rid of it to keep my calibers to the .45 for CCW use.

·
Registered
267 Posts
DaWoLF,
I had a gen 2 Mill Pro .40 and never did get used to the round. I've also shot .40 in a couple of other brands (CZ & Sig) with no better luck. Have not shot the Glock .40 yet, so can't compare that. With me, I like the idea of the round better than the actual shooting of it. CCW I use mostly a .357 snubbie or 9x19 compact, or .380 depending on how I dress because I hit better with them than the .40. Depends on the shooter, I guess. If you can hit with it, it seems to be a great round.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts