Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I put away my Sig 365. I shot it well and it was comfortable to carry, but I went back to my CZ P-07. I still shoot CZ and 1911's the best for autos. Also, I'm not always checking my side to know if it is there or not.

I decided this after yesterday's range session. I tore a single hole at 10 yards with the CZ. I do the same thing with some of my 1911's and race guns. Something about that little extra weight is comforting to know exactly where it is. It isn't about the lack of a safety, as I carried a Glock for a long time. I like it's big brother the P320C a lot and shoot it as well as the CZ.

While I carried the P365, I also kept two extra magazines on me. With the CZ I only carry one. Both cases I have 30 rounds. I guess for me, there is such a thing as too light. With the P-07, I always know it is there. I seem to have the same issue with Wheel guns. The 3" 692 Tracker carries better for me than my LCRx 3" or SP101's. It maybe due to carrying 4" or longer revolvers for years as well.

I got use to the the weight and everything lighter feels odd and off balance. However, my 22/45 LITE pistols don't seem to cause the same issues.

You ever have the same experience?

Maloy

·
8,328 Posts
For me it is the perfect balance for what ever I carry. Sure it is easier to carry a single stack, or a small hi cap micro. But I always know my PPQ and G3 will just fit my hand better, and accuracy is much better on fast drills. For example today I took my PPQ to test after 3 months of living in my holster. I ran triple taps to the body followed by a double tap to the head for 3 magazines. What is interesting to me is , that the body shots may not be dead perfect, but the followup shots to the head all stay in a 3 inch pattern. IT is the all the parts of the pistol working together to create that perfect balance, that allows quick and accurate follow up shots.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
In the words of Clint Smith, Army veteran and head firearms instructor/owner of Thunder Ranch...when he was questioned about the weight of the 1911's and N-frame S&W's he carried....

"Guns are not supposed to be comfortable, they're supposed to be comforting"

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
(that damned longhair stands up) "Hi, my name's Kevin and I'm a weight junkie". I get it, totally...:dunno:...I've kinda' got a thing for weighty guns. I'm the king of overkill, a true prince of poundage when it comes to building anything structural. If it has to handle a ton, I build it to take 10 or more and I like most everything that way, especially my guns. Growing up, there was really no such thing as a light gun. Everything was wood and steel and the bigger the caliber, the heavier the gun....:wink:...as God had always intended it to be. I find that weight gives better stability in almost everything and with a firearm, it also tends to tame recoil. I prefer my guns sturdy enough that if I were to drop one on the sidewalk, my only real concern would be that I might have to fix or replace that guy's sidewalk, 'coz it certainly wouldn't hurt the gun.

Like you said, I also appreciate always knowing it's there without ever having to check. I recently got a Spectrum and the thing drives me nuts. I'm constantly having to feel for it to make sure that I didn't drop it or leave it somewhere...:dry:...really annoying. It was my first and possibly last plastic pistol. No complaints about the performance, I'm actually quite happy with all that but it's just too light for a carry piece. As a pocket job I carry at work, I often have to relocate it to a different pocket according to what I'm doing at the time. More than once, I've had to pat myself down just to find the thing and that's something I don't wanna' have to do when I really need it.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Now you're making me rethink the CZ 75 Compact. It's probably one of the most accurate guns in my hands, has a 14 +1 capacity so I only need one spare and the weight isn't too bad. No decocker so it's either carried cocked and locked which I'm not that crazy about as the safety doesn't not have a very positive click on and off...or lower the hammer on the loaded round and use it DA. I've practiced lowering the hammer at the range, it just makes me nervous to do so in the house.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I know what you mean about finding that perfect balance between size and carry comfort. I either carry pocket, which I never find myself "double checking", or OWB. Today I had a lot of things to do around the house, so I carried my LCP in a Bianchi leather rig. The little pistol is so lite and small, that I do find myself feeling to make sure everything is there.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Now you're making me rethink the CZ 75 Compact. It's probably one of the most accurate guns in my hands, has a 14 +1 capacity so I only need one spare and the weight isn't too bad. No decocker so it's either carried cocked and locked which I'm not that crazy about as the safety doesn't not have a very positive click on and off...or lower the hammer on the loaded round and use it DA. I've practiced lowering the hammer at the range, it just makes me nervous to do so in the house.
Ha ha ha! Yeah, you might end up buying the wife a new floor!

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Ha ha ha! Yeah, you might end up buying the wife a new floor!
May be worse...I would do it i the basement and the ricochet may go anywhere. I just thought about it however...I could bring it to the range and load it for carry there!

Reactions: taurustoter

·
21,944 Posts
I completely agree that weight is good. My .45 Defender probably weighs twice what my PT740 does, but it feels good, on the hip and especially at the end of my arm. I don't know if I'll ever buy another poly framed gun. Metal is good, and particularly steel.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I recently went through the same thing over the course of the Summer since I got my Ruger LCP.

I had grown accustomed to the 25oz heft of my S&W PPK/S with wood grips, so by comparison the 11oz Ruger LCP felt like nothing, and it honestly was sort of disconcerting. I never felt undergunned carrying my PPK/S, yet the LCP made me feel strangely vulnerable, regardless of the fact that both firearms were loaded with the exact same 90gr XTPs. To this day I often find myself patting at my pants pockets just to make sure that I am in fact carrying it on my person.

I've since gotten a S&W Sigma SW40VE for Winter Carry which weighs upwards of 30oz fully loaded with 180gr XTPs, so problem solved. :D

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
For me, it's a non issue. Right now, my choice is a Springfield XDS in 9mm. It's light, and I carry it in an open cordura holster inside the belt, outside the waistband. The gun has enough bulk to let me know it's there, but not so much that it becomes an issue after several hours. When I carry one of my 1911's, I carry in a paddle or outside the belt Sherpa Kydex. 2.2 pounds has a tendency to remind you that there is something attached to your side.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Sort of depends on what your priorities are.

If you are looking for something to carry, then the little super light guns are great! Difficult to shoot, but really easy to carry.

Personally, I figure that guns are bought to be shot and I base my purchases on that kind of criteria.

Heavy guns are easier shooting. Easy shooting guns are more likely to be shot often. Shooting a gun often is a great way to get good with it. Being good with your choice in defensive carry just might be the difference between living and dying.

·
21,944 Posts
Heavy guns are easier shooting.
Very true. My heaviest is probably my .45 RIA double stack 1911. I handed it loaded to a friend on the range, he shot it, and loved it. Shortly after that, he said he thought it was a 9mm! It's that smooth and mild. Part of it is probably the bigger grip, but the weight is even more important a factor in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sort of depends on what your priorities are.

If you are looking for something to carry, then the little super light guns are great! Difficult to shoot, but really easy to carry.

Personally, I figure that guns are bought to be shot and I base my purchases on that kind of criteria.

Heavy guns are easier shooting. Easy shooting guns are more likely to be shot often. Shooting a gun often is a great way to get good with it. Being good with your choice in defensive carry just might be the difference between living and dying.
I'm going to have to slightly disagree here. While shooting a gun more often does make you more proficient with said firearm, you can only become so proficient by shooting at stationary targets at the range, and it honestly doesn't take all the long to reach peak proficiency. Pocket Pistols are definitely more difficult to become proficient with that larger firearms with larger grips, better sights, and less recoil, but that's just the thing, your proficiency with Pocket Pistols is bottlenecked by their inherent limitations by design, not because you can't train with them as long comfortably/capably.

Furthermore, heavier guns aren't always more comfortable to shoot. For example, my LCP is actually more comfortable to shoot than my PPK/S, despite being a good 15oz lighter and chambered in the same cartridge. Why/how, you ask? Because the PPK/S is a straight blowback operated firearm in which only the combined weight of the recoil spring and slide hold the action closed until chamber pressures drop to safe levels, so that slide comes back with authority and transfers a lot more energy back into the shooter's palm, especially in the web of the hand between the thumb and forefinger, whereas the LCP uses a short recoil, locking breach. Granted, the PPK/S is substantially more accurate, but it has a longer barrel, better sights, a longer/thicker grip, and a fixed barrel, so again, that has more to do with the LCP's inherent design limitations than the size/weight of the gun. If I were to pit the PPK/S against a PPK for a fairer comparison between two pistols whose only practical differences are size and weight, then I'm rather confident that I could shoot the PPK just as well as my PPK/S.

Besides, I doubt that anybody carries a Pocket Pistol because it's the best weapon for the job or even a particularly good weapon for anyone who anticipates the distinct possibility of getting into an armed confrontation, they carry it because they can't carry anything bigger or better at the time. Personally, I put off getting an LCP until I absolutely couldn't manage to carry my PPK/S on the hottest days of Summer in which the most immediate threat is heat stroke from trying to dress around the larger PPK/S in order to keep it secured, much less concealed.
Sure, I still carry my LCP now during colder weather, but as a backup gun. When I can carry something better, I do, and I'm sure that the same goes for most.

Lastly, this could just be me, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, shooting is like riding a bike. Once you have learned your pistol's point of aim/impact, (which again, doesn't take very long at all) you don't just completely forget about that in short order if you don't visit a range frequently.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Using the proper belt, a good holster and something accessible is what are important.

I practice shooting with either hand regularly, as well as practice dry firing. My carry guns have a 25 yard standard for me. If I cannot shoot out to there, I don’t carry it.

My primary has been a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in a Desantis Holster. The draw is faster out of a pocket. Out to 7 yards, I’m able to hit from the hip. Pointing, I’m good out to 10 yards.

However, I don’t carry a spare set of ammunition for reloads. I carry a spare pair of guns.

S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot
Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum
Each in a Desantis Pocket Holster

S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum
Remora IWB Holster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Premium Member
12,521 Posts
I have to respectfully differ, for me the Sig P365 is my best carry option. I usually keep it in a pocket holster and can walk through a parking lot with my hand in my pocket and around the grip while the trigger guard is still safely covered by the holster. There is no other manner of holster that can give me a faster presentation of the weapon if needed. I may not get one hole groups at 10 yards, but I will easily get off two very fast center mass hits and in my opinion that's what counts. I usually also carry a another handgun, revolver or auto, on my hip at 4 0'clock.

·
21,944 Posts
I have to respectfully differ, for me the Sig P365 is my best carry option.
I like comforting weight, but for lightweight guns great ergonomics helps a lot. This is why I'd always take a PT111 family over any Glock. And I recently held a P365; wow. That thing fits the hand really well. I bet the recoil isn't too bad. But I'll still stick to my .45 Colt Defender.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the 365, but I kept checking to make sure it was there, this is a bad "Tell" for someone that is carrying. The P-07 weighs a little bit more than a G19, but I shoot it very well. I'm not searching for it like the Sig. I still have a G19C 3rd gen, but the CZ has a very nice trigger with single or double action. Also, I know exactly where it is at and even if the orientation is a little off. Empty I think the P-07 is around 28oz.

I like the Sig and will most likely hold onto it. I only change guns based on where I'm at, or how I'm dressed. Out walking in the woods and camping, I usually open carry the CZ or a revolver. I hunt with a revolver for deer, and vermin. However, my normal attire, winter or summer I carry the same thing unless going out of state. Out of state, it's the PT111 G2 which I still practice with. I also liked the extra weight of the G2 over the 365. I didn't have to check on it.

I had a similar issue with one of my revolvers like the Sig. My 3" LCRx is on consignment at a LGS. The 3" 692 carries better for me. Also I have practiced with a 627 for years makes the 692 a natural for transitioning.

For me, I just need a little extra weight.

Maloy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts