Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sorry folks. It's supposed to be 357 with ?. I can edit everything except the title.

OK, I have to share with you guys about my latest reloading experiment. Some of you may have already tried this. It's a first for me.
I keep hearing of the conversion from 357 to 9mm by exchanging the 357 cylinder with a 9mm cylinder. My question was always what about the caliber difference? It is my understanding that the same barrel is used and all that is different is the cylinder.
In any case, recently I have acquired some 115 gr coated 9mm bullets from a friend here on TA. I measured these and they are all .356". That's not that far from .357 or .358 that I use for my 357 reloading.
In my last reloading of 357 magnums, I decided to try loading the 9mm in the 357 cases. They were somewhat loose in the sized cases but were quite tight after crimping. I'm sure bullet pull wasn't great but after taking them to the range I was suprised to see they were quite accurate at 15 yards! I didn't get the chance to try farther but next time at the range I'll try
a bench rest at 25 yards.
Anyway they worked quite well for my plinking! I experienced no leading after about 25 to 30 rounds.
Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Years ago I got a few thousand cast 9 mm bullets. Wasn't shooting a 9 but was shooting a lot of 38 special plinking and range loads. Full length sized a few hundred 38 cases and used 9 mm dies to bell the case and taper crimp the bullets. They shot OK for what they were used for. The light bullets had low recoil and women loved to shoot them. They usually shot 7 to 15 yards so accuracy was fine.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Same experience, on a smaller scale, as TOR (above). Lots of people do it.

Just as a suggestion for people who do such things, get a good caliper and some pure lead so you can slug bores, forcing cones and cylinder throats. You might be surprised at the possibilities you open up, and some of the improvements in performance you can get when you understand the actual numbers you are dealing with.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I agree, I had got a deal on several thousand sized and lubed bullets. Bought them for less than scrap lead was selling for. Tried them and they worked so I set up and loaded them.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My first reloads through my 608 were 115 grain 9mm bullets. They were accurate and had no recoil. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I couldn't get my hands on .357 or .358 bullets.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about bumping up a little in a 38 sizing die. Might get a little more accuracy. I think they are great for just plinking.
I'm surprised others have loaded these also.
Ain't reloading grand?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have an old Ruger Blackhawk .38/357/9mm convertable, It shoots best with bullets of the .358 dia. so the 9mm cylinder is rarely used....

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Gbusmech check the throats in the 9 mm cylinder. Some are under size and squeeze the .355 bullet down even smaller. Few are under .350 but easy to open. Greatly improves groups.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Under size bullets are generally inaccurate and, in lead cast bullets, will produce gas cutting and excessive leading.

Reactions: .452dia
1 - 9 of 9 Posts