Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
22,514 Posts
Congratulations! Buying another is the ultimate compliment, of course, but tell us more about it.

It's a blowback 22, right? What's the slide made of? Is it 100% 1911 functionality? Ammo preferences? Talk, talk!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
While it's an all metal gun... I'm unsure of the slide composition (alloy vs steel is my guess)

Many parts are interchangeable with 1911... Per this article

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/colt-1911-22-beginner-gun-review/

While I haven't shot this one yet (waiting for my two extra 12-rd mags I ordered from midway.... Gun only came with one 10-rd)... My previous one (now my daughter's) was NOT finicky with ammo like many .22s can be.

The picture below from pew pew tactical article shows the unique breakdown

Some similar dissasembly steps to a 1911... Some different

The gun is a full size replica of a 1911 IMG_16112019_125145_(300_x_200_pixel)_1573930329598.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,143 Posts
Oh...I thought it said "Colt Walker"....:rofl:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Congratulations! Buying another is the ultimate compliment, of course, but tell us more about it.

It's a blowback 22, right? What's the slide made of? Is it 100% 1911 functionality? Ammo preferences? Talk, talk!
It's a fixed barrel, straight blowback design similar to the Walther PPK or the P22. The slide is made of aircraft grade Aluminum, and the frame is made of Walther's proprietary mystery metal which is supposedly an Aluminum alloy.

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/defense-guns/tactical-rimfire/2772884.html

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Looks good I need a 1911 in 22 lr. I think I am going to buy a Nelson conversion that I can mount a Aimpoint red dot on.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
That's a nice looking gun and I bet it is fun (and inexpensive) to shoot. I just don't understand why, in a full size 1911 frame, they don't hold more than 10 (or 12) rounds. Doesn't a TX22 hold 16? I'd think you could get 22 or so in a 1911. Now THAT would be fun!

·
Super Moderator
35,143 Posts
Why does more ammo = "more fun"? Guess I don't get it. I have as much fun with my revolvers....or cap and ball. :D What's the point of high cap .22s? To see how fast you can waste ammo?

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Why does more ammo = "more fun"? Guess I don't get it. I have as much fun with my revolvers....or cap and ball. :D What's the point of high cap .22s? To see how fast you can waste ammo?
I remember many, many years ago a friend and I would go out shooting 22 rifles. Mine held 9 rounds. His held something like 20. Needless to say, he had more fun while I was reloading.

I'd say if you're gonna shoot a few hundred rounds and only have to reload the magazine half as often, that would be more fun. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a nice looking gun and I bet it is fun (and inexpensive) to shoot. I just don't understand why, in a full size 1911 frame, they don't hold more than 10 (or 12) rounds. Doesn't a TX22 hold 16? I'd think you could get 22 or so in a 1911. Now THAT would be fun!
I hope to have a "shoot off" soon with my .22 semi-autos... The Taurus TX22, the Colt 1911-22, the Ruger SR22, the Ruger MKIII 22/45 lite, and the KelTec PMR30 (.22wmr)

I like them all... Each different and each enjoyable for their own reasons

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMG_17112019_163112_(1000_x_1000_pixel)_1574029937400.jpg

Took it to the outdoor range and tried her out at 30'

The lrn CCI std velocity had trouble cycling the slide (always ejected spent round but didn't give this blowback enough "umph" to put the next one in the chamber... Hence a few failure to feed)

The high velocity ammo (CI) copper plated did just fine... No hiccups

Groups of 10 you see marked were while I held the gun (supported) on top of a wooden box

The trigger is a little heavy at 6.0lbs

Pleased so far... Hoping trigger will smooth out

A fun fun shooter!

·
Super Moderator
35,143 Posts
Not exactly a bullseye shooter, is it? :D I suppose its niche is practice gun for a 1911 carry. But, that's one load. I always try a multitude of loads when I get a new .22. Some loads are lucky to hit paper in a given gun while others are tack drivers. .22s are odd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts