Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uramex/Colt/Walther 1911 .22lrs. I got the government model for $389 OTD. Seems well made. Fit and finish is good. I bought it for a fun range plinker.

It was a real close call between the different models and I did a good deal of research before I bought one. You probably can't go wrong with with either the GSG/Sig or the colt. Based on the reviews I have read I would stay awya for the Chiappa/Puma one. The reviews seem to indicate they are not well made.

Some of the advantages (IMHO) over the GSG/Sig
12 round mag
no magazine disconnect
fixed barrel
no allen wrench needed for takedown (takedown very easy)

If I understand the company relationships on this one it is made by Walther for Colt and imported by Umarex. (at least that is what it says on the gun).

I have taken it out two times and here are the results:

1st Time:
50 rounds CCI bulk--no issues
50 rounds Remington Subsonic -- no issues
50 rounds Federal bulk (walmart value pack) no issues
100 rounds of Winchester Superx -- no issues
200+ rounds Federal Lightening-- 7 failures to feed, 1 stovepipe. (note I also shot a new Ruger Mark III and had issues with the Federal Lightening with it also)

2nd time out:
Shot a total of 500+ rounds and had 2 failure to feed and 2 stovepipes. All of these were with the Federal Lightening rounds.
Approx 100 CCI Blazer bulk -- no problems
Approx 50 rounds Winchester Super X -- no problems
Approx 50 rounds Remington subsonic bulk -- no problems
Approx 25 rounds of Federal Bulk -- no problems
Approx 300 rounds of Federal lightening -- 2 FTF and 2 stovepipes
Accuracy was very good today. I was shooting off a picnic table top and shooting at small stump protruding out of a pond at roughly 50 feet. (stick was approx 12" high and 4 inches wide) So it was no bullseye paper punch, but i was impressed.

3rd time out:
100 rounds Federal lightening -- 0 issues

Overall I am happy with the purchase. It is not a Colt Ace but it is cheaper than the Ruger Mark III that I recently bought and it was just as reliable and was close in accuracy to it.
I have to believe the issues with the Federal Lightening is ammo related. I have had trouble with it in every 22 auto I have shot it out of. Unfortuately I bought a bunch of it while it was on sale (4000 rds) so I guess I need to shoot it up quick to get rid of it

Here are some pics. I replaced the factory rubber grips with some wood ones

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the range report and for posting the excellent pics of your good looking new Colt 1911.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
No offense intended to the OP by my following comments.

But I finnd it ironic that some Colt owners snub Turkish 1911's made by Umarex but imbrace a "Colt" 1911 in .22 caliber made in Turkey by the same company.

But this isn't something new.

They did the same thing in the early 1970's when they bad mouthed the Astra Model-D .380; but drooled over the Colt Pony .380, the exact same gun that was made by Astra.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't consider myself a Colt person (this is the only one I own) and don't really know any personaly, so I was not aware of this. I am also not a 1911 guy, as this is the only one of those I own also.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase! GREAT review, complete with solid range report!
Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
11,062 Posts
I've got the itch for a 1911-22 myself, and have the choices down to Colt or Sig. I was leaning toward the Colt, for no other reason than it says Colt on the side (yeah, I know). By the way, those are nice looking grip panels. Where'd you get them?

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
I don't consider myself a Colt person (this is the only one I own) and don't really know any personaly, so I was not aware of this. I am also not a 1911 guy, as this is the only one of those I own also.
As I said, no offense was intended. I was merely trying to point out that this was a good well made gun.

Most Turkish gun companies are ISO 9001 rated (which means state of the art).

Beretta & CZ both have shotguns made there.

I own Hatsan, Yaldez & Huglu shotguns, all awesomely built and finished in...Turkey.

They have some of the finest figured walnut extant.

And...they make some damn fine 1911's in both .22 & .45 ACP calibers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, no offense was intended. I was merely trying to point out that this was a good well made gun.

Most Turkish gun companies are ISO 9001 rated (which means state of the art).

Beretta & CZ both have shotguns made there.

I own Hatsan, Yaldez & Huglu shotguns, all awesomely built and finished in...Turkey.

They have some of the finest figured walnut extant.

And...they make some damn fine 1911's in both .22 & .45 ACP calibers.
I apologize, my post came off a little harsher than I intended. I really was not aware of the bad rep umarex gets from colt people, being this is my first colt and my first 1911. I am not suprised though, I have been a Ruger single action evolver guy for a long time and Colt people look down on the Ruger SA. even thought they are built better (IMHO)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the itch for a 1911-22 myself, and have the choices down to Colt or Sig. I was leaning toward the Colt, for no other reason than it says Colt on the side (yeah, I know). By the way, those are nice looking grip panels. Where'd you get them?
Altamont. They were a little ove $42 with shipping, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
I have looked at a couple of these and a couple of SIGs, and the GSG as well.
of the ones that i have seen the Sig seems to have the best fit and finish and it has a set of hi visibility yellow dot sights that i like.
The GSG is the cheapest , and the Sigs here are 339 for the ones with the standard GI grip panels , they come either blued, coyote tan or olive green, the higher end is 379 and its blue and has Sig custom grips (the stippled type with the sig logo!)
I would have popped on the sig already if it came with 2 magazines, 40 bucks for an additional mag is a bit much!!
I really like the coyote tan ones , wish they would go on and sale them all before my will power gives out!-LOL
enjoy the gun, should be a fun little plinker.

·
Premium Member
11,062 Posts
I have looked at a couple of these and a couple of SIGs, and the GSG as well.
Damn! That itch became a rash today, and I went down to my LGS to put a Colt Gov model 22 on lay away. So did a lot of other people it seems. All of his Colts and all but the "Presentation Model" of the Sig had walked out the door over the weekend. He did have the GSG model, so I eventually talked myself into getting that (I'm so easy). It was $40 cheaper than the Colt and actually looked better with the wood grips that came with it. Tennjed started something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts