Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in my possession a couple of Colt revolvers. One in 32-20 and the other in 38 special. They are very old and I don't know what models they are. They both have cutouts in the frame right above the back end of the barrels.I have no idea what they are for. I am guessing they are to reduce gas erosion but I really would like to know the reason they are there. I was cleaning the revolvers when I noticed them.
Also how do I remove the cylinders?
TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That relief is a factory production item. It is there to direct the hot gases that escape at the gap and diffuse them safely without flame cutting. Nearly all the Colt DA revolvers built prior to WWII were done that way. I have nearly a dozen that are like that. It speaks to the care in design and manufacturing that was the norm; back in the day. I have 5 in 32-20 from 1907 to 1925 and they are all done that way.
To remove the crane from the frame you remove the screw and the retainer on the right side under the cylinder; being very careful, the two pieces are very closely fitted and must go in and come out together. You cannot disassemble the cylinder off the crane, it is very closely fitted and done with special tooling. There are no thread components, they are pressed to fit. The ejector knob is threaded, don't loose it, they are nonexistent in the parts world.
Enjoy your Colts, they are magnificent pieces of engineering and workmanship.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts