Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a call early this morning from a friend who manages a local gun store in Scottsdale. They had taken a later model Colt Detective Special (post 1992) in on trade a couple weeks back. Today was the first day it would be available for sale.

So I jumped in the car at 9:00am and drove 30 miles north to find an absolutely beautiful Colt Dick Special in blue with a 2-inch barrel and factory Pachmayr Compac grips with silver Colt medallions. It is easily in 98%+ condition. Timing is right on and lock up...well, it's a Colt so lock up is rock solid.

The biggest surprise is that I was offered the revolver at the gun shop's cost when they paid the trade plus $10. I've purchased a countless number from them over the past 5 years and it was time for a little payback.... :)

Anyway...here she is.... 2-inch .38 Spec. 6-shot Colt Detective Special in blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
* The green on the front sight ramp is neon nail polish that the previous owner applied. I'll be removing that once I clean it.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Nice find! That little Colt looks like it's brand new!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
wow! Second sweet revolver this week, way to go!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember, these types of things come in 3's --- might be one more on the horizon. ;)

And Skiff, I thought it was brand new when they pulled it out of the case.....appears to be fired very little, if at all by the owner.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I hope someone put Rig or whatever under that rubber. I have seen a few of those that looked amazing only to pull the rubber and it's a disaster under there. But still, great deal and amazing luck on a very nice gun that I really wish Colt would bring back.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope someone put Rig or whatever under that rubber. I have seen a few of those that looked amazing only to pull the rubber and it's a disaster under there. But still, great deal and amazing luck on a very nice gun that I really wish Colt would bring back.
Looks great under the grips as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
Congrats NYPD for a nice find. And the deal you got. I love walking into deals like that. A big Ya baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You must be living "right" to find two great revolver deals in the same week!

Congratulations on a very nice find. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, they did bring back the Mustang .380 recently for the civilian market ---- that's a good sign.

If enough people contact Colt, maybe they'll start production of their DA revolvers again.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
Hmmm... would a compact .38 special revolver sell well in this current market???
If it's a revolver and says Colt on it, it will sell well. The current market bottom on any Colt Revolver in fairly good condition is $500 and they only go up from there.

New production on Colt, just like the S & W's will not be up to the par of the hand-fitted guns of the times through the early 80's and late 70's and earlier, but the name will still say it all price wise.

Old colts and S & W revolvers are perhaps the best investment a person can make. The model 14 6" S & W we all shot out at the range on our little get together, I wouldn't sell for $600, and my model 66 no dash, I probably wound't sell it for $600. Both are tuned guns, the 14 more than the 66.

NYPD has to have a serious snubbie collection as many as I have seen him post over the years, and I suspect he has a serous service sized frame collection as well.

A number of my guns have gone up at least 25% over the past 5 years. Buy the right guns, (usually vintage) and they are a very good investment.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a service size L-frame yesterday, Jake. It should be a couple posts below this one.....:)

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
I just bought a service size L-frame yesterday, Jake. It should be a couple posts below this one.....:)
You old bald headed dog you! :) You have to have some friends in the right places to bird dog these guns for you. Alas, I am limited only by Green Stamps I don't have.

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
Congratulation on the new handgun, that bluing looks like a deep mountain lake!

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
Congratulation on the new handgun, that bluing looks like a deep mountain lake!

Damn, you are feeling poetic today! Aren't you? Getting all sentimental over a hunk of steel. :)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
good looking gun, congrats

1 - 20 of 32 Posts